Diablo® III

Will a Real MMORPG please stand up.

08/30/2012 05:37 PMPosted by polyoddity
There is something seriously wrong with anyone that plays a game just to be with others.

There is something really, really wrong with this sentence.

You know, from a developmental perspective, playing is in fact "training for your adult life". Kids play by assuming adult roles. Young pups keep chasing each other to train as hunters.

Gaming is meant to be social, not a solitary act - the young wolf will not play alone because he needs to learn to interact with others. I know it's hard to believe, but back when there were no videogames children used to play together, to interact in meaningful ways, to learn to adapt and so on. It was silly to play alone.

Also, maybe you have not realized yet but it's very hard to achieve any amount of happiness without significant people surrounding you. It's in social interactions that it happens.

So - in conclusion - it is natural to play games with others. It is completely non natural to play games alone for hours. Unfortunately that's what some videogames and endless TV brought.
Reply Quote
View profile
08/30/2012 10:46 PMPosted by Maegglin
Gaming is meant to be social, not a solitary act - the young wolf will not play alone because he needs to learn to interact with others.

Gaming is meant to be a number of things. It can indeed be about interacting with others, and we see this with multiplayer games, mmos, board games, card games, etc.

But just as many quality games are single-player. I've enjoyed hours playing games like Skyrim and Baldur's Gate 2 by myself. Heck, up until I got dial-up in the 90s, most games I played were single-player oriented.

08/30/2012 10:46 PMPosted by Maegglin
So - in conclusion - it is natural to play games with others. It is completely non natural to play games alone for hours. Unfortunately that's what some videogames and endless TV brought.

It's natural to play games either way, and to say that one or the other is unnatural is pretty off.
Reply Quote
Try City of Heroes before they pull it in a month and a half. The customization is unparalleled. The community is very helpful as well.
Reply Quote
Man ArcofDarknes you sound like me i was a ffxi player and have been searching for a game like it ever since i left when they made it solo friendly, Just wait for ffxiv 2.0 to come out hopefully it will be more like ffxi was :)
Reply Quote
Try Rift, it's about $10 for the game including first month now, overall my favorite at this time, and I played quite a few.
Reply Quote
I'm confused. How, exactly, does WoW not force socialization? You can't solo a raid. Period. WoW is all about playing with other people.

Unless I guess you're a social reject who just grinds to the cap and never does anything, but, that makes you a weirdo. The vast majority of WoW's content is end game, and always has been. And the end game requires other players.
Reply Quote
09/20/2012 05:55 PMPosted by MagnumOpus
Man ArcofDarknes you sound like me i was a ffxi player and have been searching for a game like it ever since i left when they made it solo friendly, Just wait for ffxiv 2.0 to come out hopefully it will be more like ffxi was :)

Not being able to solo was the SINGLE WORST part about FFXI.

WOOOOHOO I get to sit in Jeuno for 8 hours with LFP on bored off my !@# only to FIANALLY get a group and have it break up 20 min later because someone has to leave. Yeah, sorry, not fun.

If you got a group the game was very fun. Other than that the only fun in the game was spamming perverted messages on general using auto translate.
Reply Quote
I heard EverQuest Next is going to be returning EQ to its roots in regards to challenge. If I understood them right it will perhaps be catering to a niche crowd then.
Reply Quote
my first experiences with mmo was with MUDs. Basicly, for someone who never played that, you were moving around hoping to not meet someone that will happily slap you to death. So yeah, most were like that, soloing was kinda a bliss in between high level's rampage.
Reply Quote
Im pretty sure Dungeons and Dragons Online is a multiplayer game. The whole thing is dungeons. Not open world.

They did start to bring in solo dungeons at one stage but doing a dungeon solo was rather a bad experience.

Ah, good memories of that game.
Reply Quote
Honestly, I'd say World of Warcraft ruined MMORPG for a lot of people in the long run due to how popular it got. For an MMORPG to be successful these days, it would have to do something incredible and original that WoW didn't accomplish beforehand. Otherwise, people will just see it as a "WoW Clone" and bail.

That's kinda why people hoped for The Old Republic to bring WoW down, because it wasn't set in Medival times with swords and arrows and such.
Edited by Retloclive#1656 on 9/22/2012 7:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
There was a good MMORPG, but care bear kiddies didn't like losing stuff. It was called Shadowbane. Now stop wishing for another game that actually had depth, and just go back to farming for your 1 legendary item to complete your set so you can just ... keep farming.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]