Diablo® III

Storm Armor is the new Energy Armor

Let me begin by saying, I am no expert. I just wanted to share a build variation that I am currently using to super farm act I and act II. It is nothing special. This isnt a "new" build that is going to revolutionize the way everyone plays the wizard class. It is just something that I found, that works.

Here is is: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VQXYhT!agW!YZaccc

I am telling you right now it works. I have 500 unbuffed RA, 3200 armor, and 31K hp and I died once in act II to a invulnerable minions elite. The beauty of this build is the speed in which you kill elites. I only have 39% crit, but WW crits SO often that the shocking aspect destroys everything. I was able to face tank the Butcher, which is nothing special, but I killed him in under a minute with only 29K damage.

Tl:DR: Trade Prismatic Armor for Shocking Aspect and watch what happens.
Reply Quote
My new A1 farming build, thanks! No need for crit energy shield since I already do 45% crit. No need for prismatic in A1 of course.

A2 and this? I'd have to get more resist..prismatic for now. I use crystal shield that attacks enemies back for 155% damage, no point to me having the crystal armor that absorbs more damage since you're constantly spamming it. So my dps with this would be absolutely insane, you should try it out too! To me double absorb is never worth it because usually if I die it's because I don't have enough twisters up hence I would have died anyway regardless of being able to absorb 11k more damage.

What I love about this build is everyone does it differently , hence it promotes build diversity so in this sense I believe it will never be nerfed. Everyone does the CM/WW build differently.
Reply Quote
I run the same build as my wizzard except Earmor, gonna try this storm armor as I always wanted to use it.

However, I am sort of lost on coldblood as a passive. Maybe i just need someone to clarify it for me.

Cold Blooded says that it makes enemies take 20% more COLD DAMAGE.

However, I understand that frost nova freezes them, but that just puts them in a state of being frozen correct? so technically, isn't coldblood compeltely useless since the skills we are using (WW is arcane? Explo blast is physical?)

Does freezing enemies with frost nova turn all the damage we are doing as cold damage?

I guess I am more confused as to how the skill works, less arguing your point.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Thank you, but you are way behind the 8 ball.

Also, you make yourself sound like someone who read forums over the past week, and decided to write a post making it sound like you came up with it. People have been using storm armor for a long time.

As far as posts, there are 10 other posts with 20+ pages that are far more informative than yours.
Reply Quote
Why does everybody use Cold Blooded as a passive with only one Cold Spell that doesn't even deal damage? It only effects other types of cold damage, so it's doing absolutely nothing in that passive slot for this build.
Reply Quote
I don't think storm armor is viable in inferno act 3 and 4. I tried it for an hour or so in act 3 and died a few times. I use CM/WW build, and with energy armor, i have 9k armor, 900 vit and 1k resist. I guess maybe it's feasible for an archon build because it's about dps and you are trying to kill as soon as you can.
Reply Quote
07/20/2012 09:42 AMPosted by FreePizza
Why does everybody use Cold Blooded as a passive with only one Cold Spell that doesn't even deal damage? It only effects other types of cold damage, so it's doing absolutely nothing in that passive slot for this build.

See the post right above yours.
Reply Quote
07/20/2012 09:47 AMPosted by Tyche
I don't think storm armor is viable in inferno act 3 and 4. I tried it for an hour or so in act 3 and died a few times. I use CM/WW build, and with energy armor, i have 9k armor, 900 vit and 1k resist. I guess maybe it's feasible for an archon build because it's about dps and you are trying to kill as soon as you can.

Running storm armor easily in Act 3 with
25k hp
730 all res
4400 armor
300 loh
38k dps
53% cc

Mow everything down easily.

And no it's not reasonable for an archon build because the proc coefficient on archon is so low; same reason LoH isn't reasonable for archon. You want lifesteal and prismatic armor for an archon build.
Edited by epicol#1228 on 7/20/2012 10:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/20/2012 09:24 AMPosted by HAMMER99
Cold Blooded says that it makes enemies take 20% more COLD DAMAGE.

The tool tip is wrong. Not sure if it is intended, but frozen enemies take 20% more damage from all types.

Thank you, but you are way behind the 8 ball.

Also, you make yourself sound like someone who read forums over the past week, and decided to write a post making it sound like you came up with it. People have been using storm armor for a long time.

As far as posts, there are 10 other posts with 20+ pages that are far more informative than yours.

Dude seriously....
1. I am sorry if you got the impression that I think I came up with this. I was just stating that it wors REALLY well. Like super well.
2. "Behind the 8-ball" does not mean that I am behind the times. Go ahead google search that one.

07/20/2012 09:54 AMPosted by icycloud
try using this built at act 4. u noob

If you read it, which you didnt, I said ACT I and ACT II. For the record though, with proper gear (100M +) it would work quite well it act III and act IV. All prismatic armor does is give armor and RA. If you had enough armor and RA you wouldnt need it. In fact, it would be detrimental because it lowers AP.
TL;DR: I can use this build in ACT I and ACT II with decent gear.
Reply Quote
The trouble with D3 is very little is viable in act 3-4 this is a good skill for 95% of the game including act 1-2 inferno.

Blizzard will have to tweak Act 3-4 to make them fun and viable acts which currently they are not and yes I can beat those acts but it is a chore not fun and I have 120 K DPS with 400-500 resists .
Edited by Lilspark#1868 on 7/20/2012 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow the douchbags are out in full force. Thanks for the post op. will try for fun next farm run.
Reply Quote
i guess it's viable if your dps is high enough. in my gimpy WW/CM build, i have 3400 dps :D but then again, I made the build for tanking so my DH friend can melt mobs for me :D
Reply Quote

25k hp
730 all res
4400 armor
300 loh
38k dps
53% cc

And no it's not reasonable for an archon build because the proc coefficient on archon is so low; same reason LoH isn't reasonable for archon. You want lifesteal and prismatic armor for an archon build.

I was about to say you're full crap till I saw you had 53% CC..dang dude nice. Perfect Crit is 54.5% btw. I can't beileve you only have 300 LoH :O Are you including champ/elite talk when you say 'mow everything down easy?' lol
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 7/20/2012 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/20/2012 10:50 AMPosted by Psyclum
i guess it's viable if your dps is high enough. in my gimpy WW/CM build, i have 3400 dps :D but then again, I made the build for tanking so my DH friend can melt mobs for me :D

It's actually viable with more resist / armor. Without Energy armor you take a huge armor hit and of course without prismatic you take a large resist hit. So your armor + resists have to be high enough. This amplifies your dps. So basically if it says you do 25k dps you're actually doing around 100-125k with this build with at least 40% CR. You'll blow DH's DPS who have their 'dps number' twice as high as yours out of the water. The DPS number is really extremely relative and overrated. People put way too much stock into it in terms of ACTUAL dps on the field. This build basically cheats the DPS number.
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 7/20/2012 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote

25k hp
730 all res
4400 armor
300 loh
38k dps
53% cc

I was about to say you're full crap till I saw you had 53% CC..dang dude nice. Perfect Crit is 54.5% btw. I can't beileve you only have 300 LoH :O Are you including champ/elite talk when you say 'mow everything down easy?' lol

It's 48% base crit chance, with an additional 5% twister crit from weapon. LoH only useful if you're health pool tanking, and you shouldn't be health pool tanking with this build; nor any CM build. And yes, I kill any elite pack without problems. A death here and there due to carelessness, but other than that its easy.

This is my A3 clear video I made when I first made the switch to Storm Armor. I now have better gear and run it even more easily. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6079780878?page=1
Edited by epicol#1228 on 7/20/2012 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/20/2012 10:06 AMPosted by epicol

25k hp
730 all res
4400 armor
300 loh
38k dps
53% cc

Really? I kind of don't believe you. Maybe it's the 53% cc...
Reply Quote
absolutely, once u have enough gear, u don't need prismatic armor

I haven used prismatic since a week ago when epicol mentioned this discovery.

my stats (with glass canon)

38k HP
63k DPS (actualy dps is around 400-450k)
720 all res
4k armor
750 LOH
47% CC
234% CD

azmodan in 16 secs, most elites in a few secs once I am locked in.

I even farm act 3 ez with 200 mf gear with this build and 40k DPS, ppl say it isn viable for act 3-4 just don't have enough gear yet.

I also farm with 3 other ppl, who do close to zero dps, and carry all mf gear, while I mown everything down.
Edited by CKbrah#1954 on 7/20/2012 4:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]