Diablo® III

Sanctuary has infinite potential unless...

In the world of Sanctuary both Demons and Angels are reborn after they are slain; their bodies manifest back into their original state over a period of time.
    The Prime Evils are killed for the time of peace that follows, but since their souls will reincarnate how can Evil be stopped for good in the world of Sanctuary?
    Must the Prime Evils all be returned to The Burning Hell's? or will that cause Tathamet to be reborn?
    And since the Angels came from Anu's death would they have to be trapped together and reforged back into the Crystal Arch to make Anu anew?
    If either The Burning Hell's (which is the rebirth place for demons) or the Crystal Arch (which is the rebirth place for Angels) is destroyed the opposing side wins the eternal conflict. Anything us Nephalem (Being born from Angel and Demon parents) hero's do does not make a difference in the long run, or if it does it is only that brief time period of peace.
    The story of Sanctuary cannot end without first the destruction of either the Crystal Arch or the Burning Hell's. But even then the Good or Evil in the remaining Nephalem would be the next target after either the Crystal Arch or the Burning Hells are destroyed.
Edited by Grim#1724 on 7/25/2012 10:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thoughts? or Comments?
Reply Quote
^
Reply Quote
Anu and Tethamet are not coming back. They extended their energies completely. The Burning Hells are the remains of Tethamet and The Crystal Arch is the spine of Anu.

Evil will never be truly stopped. This is because of Balance. There must always be balance. That is why Angels and Demons will always be locked in the eternal conflict. No one side will have an advantage, at least for very long.

The Black Abyss is where a Demon's Essence goes when it's phyiscal form is destroyed. It's theoroized that destroying a demon's essence while it's trapped in the Black Abyss would result in it's final death. This would only be achieved by entering the Black Abyss, but since only Demon's can enter the Black Abyss, it's safe to assume that no Angel will ever attempt to do this.

It could be assumed that there may be a way to trap an Angel's grace into a stone, much like the Black Soul Stone is used to trap a Demon's Essence. It could be in this that Anu could be reborn, but the likely hood of this happening is unlikely.

Your paragraph is kind of all over the place, so it's hard to understand.
Reply Quote
07/24/2012 05:55 AMPosted by MykeC
Evil will never be truly stopped.

A demon's soul can be destroyed by trapping it in a soulstone, and destroying the stone at Hellforge. Just for example, Mephisto and Diablo are dead.
Reply Quote
07/24/2012 08:42 AMPosted by LittleDisco
A demon's soul can be destroyed by trapping it in a soulstone, and destroying the stone at Hellforge. Just for example, Mephisto and Diablo are dead.

I don't believe that was true, even in D2. I'm pretty sure they said that those 2 guys were banished not killed.
Reply Quote
07/24/2012 08:42 AMPosted by LittleDisco
Evil will never be truly stopped.

Diablo says hello.

Their souls were not destroyed. They were banished back into the Black Abyss. The only way to truly destroy an Evil's Essence, is to do so in the Black Abyss, from my understanding.
Reply Quote
Diablo says hello.

Their souls were not destroyed. They were banished back into the Black Abyss. The only way to truly destroy an Evil's Essence, is to do so in the Black Abyss, from my understanding.

Hes choosing to completely ignore D3's lore. I don't believe your understanding of the souls is correct. I don't think that you can destroy their souls in the Black Abyss.
Reply Quote
Diablo says hello.

Hes choosing to completely ignore D3's lore. I don't believe your understanding of the souls is correct. I don't think that you can destroy their souls in the Black Abyss.

It's not stated that Demon Souls can be destroyed while in the Black Abyss. I'm making an assumption.

Since the Black Abyss is where the Demon Souls are reborn/spawn from, I assume that if one can physically(or spiritually) travel there, they may be able to destroy a demon soul for good.
Reply Quote
07/24/2012 11:08 AMPosted by MykeC

Hellforge didn't just smash the stone, it smashed his soul.
Reply Quote

Hell forge didn't just smash the stone, it smashed his soul.

That's why Diablo is still alive.../rolls eyes.

Prove to me where it states that the Hell forge destroys the soul of a Demon.

Oh you can't? That's because it was never mentioned. The Soul stone houses the soul of a Demon. It is in this that the demon is captured. The reason why the Hell forge can destroy a soul stone is because it is the only force strong enough to do so. This DOES NOT kill a Demon's soul. It sends it back to the Black Abyss. In fact, I’m pretty sure that it's stated somewhere that after Mephisto's soul stone was destroyed, he was banished from Sanctuary. Banishment != destroyed.

It's cute that you want to try and believe that smashing a soul stone means that the soul is destroyed but there is too much information that counters your points.

Plus you haven't even presented any real points.

Example:
Hell forge didn't just smash the stone, it smashed his soul.

On what grounds? What lead you to believe this? Can you provide proof that this actually happens?

No, you can't. I can present a point that counters yours.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo
Apparently the destruction of his Soul stone was not enough to put an end to his evil.

Destroying Diablo's soul stone did not kill him. He still returned. It is this information that counters yours. I'll even go a step farther.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Mephisto
Mephisto's Soul stone was destroyed in the Hell forge after his defeat, ensuring his banishment from Sanctuary.

The above confirms that Mephisto was only banished, NOT destroyed.

I know I may be repeating myself, but it is necessary to have you understand that destroying a Soul Stone does not destroy a Demon's soul. At least not the Prime Evils, since the soul stones were created for them.
Edited by MykeC#1836 on 7/24/2012 3:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/24/2012 03:14 PMPosted by MykeC
I know I may be repeating myself, but it is necessary to have you understand that destroying a Soul Stone does not destroy a Demon's soul. At least not the Prime Evils, since the soul stones were created for them.

So, you're telling me, that he's not dead, he's just banished.

He was permanently banished to the Black Abyss, and the Black Abyss is the place demon souls go when they die.

Therefore, you're telling me he's not dead, he's just permanently banished to the place he would go if he was dead.

I'm not interested in splitting hairs. He's dead.
Reply Quote

He was permanently banished to the Black Abyss, and the Black Abyss is the place demon souls go when they die.

Therefore, you're telling me he's not dead, he's just permanently banished to the place he would go if he was dead.

Not permanently, it would however have been pretty damn hard to get back if the worldstone was not destroyed/corrupted, perhaps impossible.
Edited by Ascendedone#1637 on 7/25/2012 1:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I didn't state that at all, please stop putting words into my mouth.

The Black Abyss is not where Demon Souls go to die. The Black Abyss is where Demon Souls are spawned from. I never said that he was permanently banished either. He was merely banished from Sanctuary. It's never stated that this banishment was permanent.

I've provided links to the sources that I quote. You feel the need to completely ignore those and twist what I've stated.

There's only ever been an instance or two where it's stated that a Demon's Soul is gone for good. Demon souls don't die, just their physical form.

You're not interested in understanding the lore. So I ask why are you here in the first place?
Edited by MykeC#1836 on 7/25/2012 1:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The Black Abyss is a bit like a limbo for powerful demons at the very least. It is separate from Hell, Heaven or Sanctuary. Powerful demons that are "killed" are sent there. Escape so far as been impossible, but summoning demons from there is. It is also the same place in which they are originally spawned.

Diablo is most likely either trapped in the Black Soulstone or is banished to the Abyss. That said, is has been shown that completely eradicating a demon from existence is possible by Nephalem, but I don't think that's the case here.

In many ways, the story of Sanctuary does have infinite possibilities. However, in this case, with the balance of power between good and evil destroyed, Heaven's unmatched power threatens to end existence.
Edited by Chris#1235 on 7/25/2012 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/25/2012 01:50 PMPosted by MykeC

I found my proof on the website that you provided.

The Black Abyss is not where Demon Souls go to die. The Black Abyss is where Demon Souls are spawned from. I never said that he was permanently banished either. He was merely banished from Sanctuary. It's never stated that this banishment was permanent.

"Now his corrupt Soulstone has to be destroyed at the only possible place: the Hellforge, in order to banish Mephisto's enraged spirit back into the Black Abyss and to prevent him from manifesting into the world of Sanctuary ever again. "
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Hell%27s_Forge

This statement from the website is actually a paraphrase of what Deckard Cain says when he gives you the quest: "The time has come for you to destroy Mephisto's Soulstone! Take the Stone to the Hellforge. Place it upon the forge and strike it soundly with the Hammer. Only by doing this can you prevent Mephisto from manifesting in this world ever again."

"the Abyss is where demons are actually spawned from and where they return to when they die."
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Abyss

I shouldn't have to spell this out, but I probably have to. If destroying the soulstone at Hellforge prevents them from being able to manifest in the world ever again, that means their banishment to the Black Abyss is permanent, because they won't be able to respawn out of the Black Abyss or else would be manifesting in the world again.

For the purposes of the story, having Mephisto permanently banished is functionally identical to having Mephisto killed.
Reply Quote
I had more questions than answers when I made this post, that is why it may have seemed jumbled and out of place. But thank you all for feedback to my post I would enjoy hearing what variations of this idea the community has to offer.
Reply Quote
07/25/2012 03:03 PMPosted by LittleDisco

I found my proof on the website that you provided.

"Now his corrupt Soulstone has to be destroyed at the only possible place: the Hellforge, in order to banish Mephisto's enraged spirit back into the Black Abyss and to prevent him from manifesting into the world of Sanctuary ever again. "
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Hell%27s_Forge

This statement from the website is actually a paraphrase of what Deckard Cain says when he gives you the quest: "The time has come for you to destroy Mephisto's Soulstone! Take the Stone to the Hellforge. Place it upon the forge and strike it soundly with the Hammer. Only by doing this can you prevent Mephisto from manifesting in this world ever again."

"the Abyss is where demons are actually spawned from and where they return to when they die."
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Abyss

I shouldn't have to spell this out, but I probably have to. If destroying the soulstone at Hellforge prevents them from being able to manifest in the world ever again, that means their banishment to the Black Abyss is permanent, because they won't be able to respawn out of the Black Abyss or else would be manifesting in the world again.

For the purposes of the story, having Mephisto permanently banished is functionally identical to having Mephisto killed.

And I refer to Diablo coming back from the Abyss after his Soulstone was destroyed.

Even a soulstone being destroyed does not keep a Demon's soul permanently there.
Reply Quote
With Trag'Oul in the lore how can any good or evil be truly vanquished forever?
Reply Quote
And I refer to Diablo coming back from the Abyss after his Soulstone was destroyed.

Even a soulstone being destroyed does not keep a Demon's soul permanently there.

A temporary banishment that can be violated at the earliest convenient opportunity without consequence is called freedom. So, if what you say is true, then destroying the soulstone actually freed them, not banish them.

And you're telling me that Tyreal and Cain, in all their wisdom thought it was a better idea to free them than to leave them imprisoned in their stones?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]