Diablo® III

FPS Drop All The Sudden

So ive been running diablo fine on my macbook pro for two months now, i have the top of the line mac and trust me it worked great for the game until today.
I logged on and about 5 min later got huge fps drop, the whole game slowed down to about 5 fps.
I have tried:
Trilinearfiltering to "1"
All low resolution and settings
Machineclass to "1"
Deleting D3Prefs.txt all together
Updating mac, graphics card ect.
Resetting PRAM and SMC
Deleting Cache
Deleting Adobe Flash/ reinstalling
Cleaned the dust out
Tried deleting all unneeded patch/report errors
Set ChannelsToUse to "16"

Whenever I restart my computer it fixes it for about 5 min then the FPS drops again, I know im running a mac but it has been running it for over two month just great.
Any suggestions would be very welcome thanks.
Edited by Joust#1208 on 7/28/2012 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That's a classic sign of over heating. Video card is probably over heating and or cpu. try blowing air in the vents and see if that helps to knock loose some dust. Also place your hand at differnet points around the laptop and see if it feel rather warm or possibly hot. You might have to bring it into the shop and have them take a look at the system. But most likely its clogged vents and the cpu and video card normally share a heat pipe and vent. So hopefully blowing air into it fixes that issue.
Reply Quote
^ forgot to mention i took it apart and cleaned out the dust, im a electronics engineer so im qualified lol
Reply Quote
As evilorc said, sounds like overheating. Most processors these days, be it the CPU or GPU, have a throttle to drastically reduce the performance of the processor when it hits a certain temperature. I run into this problem all the time when trying to push my GPU / CPU overclocking higher.
Reply Quote
all my problems went away when I put my max fps to 50 in the game settings. try it, D3 runs smooth as silk now.
Reply Quote
The fan does not struggle and im positive the gpu/cpu is around 30c, i have a cooler also...
I appreciate the helpful comments guys, im glad no one has said trash your mac yet, im running an intel i7 btw.

Yeah tabbing out reduced performance, but tabbing back in doesn't help, its cuz it prioritizes the windows,
Reply Quote
View profile
07/28/2012 03:06 PMPosted by Joust
^ forgot to mention i took it apart and cleaned out the dust, im a electronics engineer so im qualified lol

Well then i don't need to say to check and make sure all cooling devices are working. And also there is no back ground programs running taking up resource.
Reply Quote
ahhhhh...... well as long as the fan for the cpu was able to spin then that shoudl be fine. and as long as you reapplied the heat pipe and used some fresh thermal paste. That shoudl be good too. Then hard to say exactely. It still could be over heating still. But you would need a handy tool that you might not have. and not every tech i know of has this. But if you ran the system without putting the case back together and used a inferred thermal sensor. You could aim the inferred thermal sensor dirrectly at the cpu and video card and see if you get some high readings. Ive seen chips sets some times over heat due to some type of short internally or ground and not much you can do about it. :(
Reply Quote
of course^ all background apps are not running and unneeded processes shut down.
Reply Quote
Well if you have checked the temps out. This is an interesting problem them hmmmmmmm. Thinking...........
Reply Quote
07/28/2012 03:13 PMPosted by evilorc
ahhhhh...... well as long as the fan for the cpu was able to spin then that shoudl be fine. and as long as you reapplied the heat pipe and used some fresh thermal paste. That shoudl be good too. Then hard to say exactely. It still could be over heating still. But you would need a handy tool that you might not have. and not every tech i know of has this. But if you ran the system without putting the case back together and used a inferred thermal sensor. You could aim the inferred thermal sensor dirrectly at the cpu and video card and see if you get some high readings. Ive seen chips sets some times over heat due to some type of short internally or ground and not much you can do about it. :(

hmm yeah i wish i had one, although i dont believe overheating could explain why the game ran fine for over two months. It was even hotter back then, the cleaning helped my overall pc speed haha
Reply Quote
I jsut wanted to ask this since you opened up the system. Is the video card built directly ont othe main board of the laptop or does the video card have a snao in connector that it connects to internally??
Reply Quote
Tried deleting all unneeded patch/report errors
Set ChannelsToUse to "16"
still problems
Reply Quote
View profile
Well, If all was working well before, And it sounds like you have done the house cleaning. One other this it could be is corrupt data chunk loading.
For me that has been caused by the game files being fragmented. Mostly the .MPQ files.
Reply Quote
it was hard to tell, I think its separate, i didn't go all through it because i didn't have all my tools handy, im away from home. I just opened the top up and cleaned the dust out it was like 3am last night so i dont really remember haha
Reply Quote
The MPQ's? i deleted the cache in the MPQ's any other ideas? on what to do specifically, thanks
Reply Quote
Over heat is mostly likely cause! I seen this problem every once in while when used to work at a pc repair shop . I just had a freind of mine but using a intel desktop samething usign this game. and same symptoms. He didnt want to belive over heating and guess what the video card was running hot. Ummm you might be able to down load a utility that can measure temps internally for the cpu and video card. Not sure if CPU Z would help you but i think they make it for mac's also. I would get a software utility that can measure temps and see what it maxes out at when you have the game running just to totally be sure. Cus im 98% sure its over heating somehow.
Edited by evilorc#1961 on 7/28/2012 3:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
^ yeah i was ganna do that next ill check the temps
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]