Diablo® III

Diablo 3 drop rates

Since Diablo 3 came out, ten of my friends started playing it. Of those ten, only two log in any more. I believe the main reason people are losing interest in this game is the abysmal drop rates.

I'll start by comparing drop rates in this game to Diablo 2. In diablo 2 there were a vast array of items that had value. Gems, runes, uniques, set items, socketed items...a decent percentage of loot that was picked up had at least some value to someone. Some valuable loot could even be picked up in earlier stages of the game. Certain runs almost GUARANTEED some kind of valuable drop (even if the value was low). Because of this, it was extremely rare to play the game for an hour or two without obtaining something of some value.

In Diablo 3 however, it is not uncommon to play in inferno difficulty for several hours without getting a single item of any value. Generally speaking, any loot that is not ilvl 61+ is destined to be vendored (maybe .01% are worth something...if that). Here are the inferno drop rates from the patch 1.0.3 notes:
Inferno - Act I: iLvl 61: 17.7%, iLvl 62: 7.9%, iLvl 63: 2.0%, WORTHLESS: 72.4%
Inferno - Act II: iLvl 61: 18.6%, iLvl 62: 12.4%, iLvl 63: 4.1%, WORTHLESS: 64.9%
Inferno - Act III and Act IV: iLvl 61: 24.1%, iLvl 62: 16.1%, iLvl 63: 8.0%, WORTHLESS: 51.8%
Now to break it down further. I'm gonna just pull some percentages out of the air since data isn't really available, but I think they are reasonable values (note - this is dropped loot, not crafted):
blue ilvl 61: 2% have value, 98% WORTHLESS
blue ilvl 62: 5% have value, 95% WORTHLESS
blue ilvl 63: 15% have value, 85% WORTHLESS
yellow ilvl 61: 15% have value, 85% WORTHLESS
yellow ilvl 62: 25% have value, 75% WORTHLESS
yellow ilvl 63: 33% have value, 67% WORTHLESS
ilvl 61+ legendary/set weapons 20% have value, 80% WORTHLESS
ilvl 61+ legendary/set armor ~100% have value
So lets assume in act 1, in 5 runs you kill 50 elite packs and get 100 blues 100 yellows and 1 legendary and it takes 5 hours:
In act 1 you'd get: .354 valuable ilvl 61 blues, .395 valuable ilvl 62 blues, .3 valuable ilvl 63 blues, 2.655 valuable ilvl 61 yellows, 1.975 valuable ilvl 62 yellows, .667 valuable ilvl 63 yellows, and .1656 valuable ilvl 61+ legendary/set items, for a total of 6.5116 items of value.

Lets assume in act 2, in 7.5 runs you kill 75 elite packs and get 100 blues 100 yellows and 1 legendary (you only have 75% of the mf you had in act 1) and it takes 7.5 hours:
In act 2 you'd get: .372 valuable ilvl 61 blues, .62 valuable ilvl 62 blues, .615 valuable ilvl 63 blues, 2.79 valuable ilvl 61 yellows, 3.1 valuable ilvl 62 yellows, 1.353 valuable ilvl 63 yellows, and .2106 valuable ilvl 61+ legendary/set items, for a total of 9.0606 items of value.

Lets assume in act 3, in 10 runs you kill 100 elite packs and get 100 blues 100 yellows and 1 legendary (you only have 50% of the mf you had in act 1) and it takes 10 hours:
In act 3 you'd get: .482 valuable ilvl 61 blues, .805 valuable ilvl 62 blues, 1.2 valuable ilvl 63 blues, 3.615 valuable ilvl 61 yellows, 4.025 valuable ilvl 62 yellows, 2.64 valuable ilvl 63 yellows, and .2892 valuable ilvl 61+ legendary/set items, for a total of 13.0562 items of value.

By items of value, I mean sellable on the Auction House so that means worth at least 50,000 gold (the min price I will bother throwing on the AH). I don't really like them odds, especially since, at this point in the game upgrading a gear slot costs around 10 mil for me. Because of this, I've made around 80% of my wealth from crafting, and that's kinda sad.

Here's some changes I think would be nice:
1) Increase chance to drop magic/rare/legendary items on act 2 inferno and even more in acts 3 and 4: When I kill an elite mob in act 3 or 4 that takes several minutes to kill, I should be getting a yellow item and I shouldn't be getting white items...period.

2) Bosses chance to drop magic/rare/legendary items should also increase with stacks of nephalem valor: If I take the time to kill five elites and then kill a boss, I should get something decent, ESPECIALLY if it is an act boss. I've killed inferno butcher probably 25-30 times and can honestly say that I haven't gotten a single item of value from him yet.

3) Containers should be affected by mf if you have 5 stacks of nephalem valor: Making it so containers aren't affected by mf was a huge nerf to mf as a whole. I understand it was to prevent some exploits but requiring 5 stacks of valor fixes the problem.

That's my 2 cents, how bout you folks?
Edited by Galstaff#1853 on 7/29/2012 7:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This was complained about months ago..to still see it being complained about as if it is new, is really disappointing.
Reply Quote
07/29/2012 06:43 PMPosted by Exile1972
This was complained about months ago..to still see it being complained about as if it is new, is really disappointing.

What a useless post
Reply Quote
Hope has abandon us long ago.Most have seen the light.Some have not.Too each their own.
Reply Quote
It seems I vastly overestimated the percentages of blues/yellows that are valuable. I'm not gonna recalculate everything, just imagine those are all halved.
Reply Quote
Not everyone dropped their pants on release and took the D3 !@#$stick up the %^-, some have just now come to realize.
Reply Quote
Of those ten, only two log in any more. I believe the main reason people are losing interest in this game is the abysmal drop rates.

But if even 1 in 100 of the players decide to use the RMAH, then everything is working exactly as designed.

If your friends were never going to use the RMAH then Blizzard is better off if they quit playing.
Reply Quote
Your percentages in regard to real value are hugely overinflated. I can end up farming close to 200 rares in a day...and have absolutely none that are worth selling times. If you think that making 5k to 10k off a high level item is worthwhile, you are kidding me.

The time and effort to sell a piddly item through the ah is not worth my time and effort. It's better spent farming gold and more items....and selling the piddly item to the vendor.

In a farm run of 200 rares, the number worth selling range from 0 to 3 at the absolute most.

I agree. I should redo it with values at 1/5 of what they are in the OP. The point is the drop rates need to be significantly redesigned. Otherwise more and more people will stop playing.
Reply Quote
07/31/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Cosmic
If your friends were never going to use the RMAH then Blizzard is better off if they quit playing.

They might not have been willing to buy from the RMAH, but they would've sold on the RMAH, and Blizzard needs both the buyer and the seller.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]