Diablo® III

Path of Exile : Skill tree

07/28/2012 12:46 AMPosted by Stiphler
The fact that it's ALL PASSIVE skills and no ACTIVE skills is a HUGE problem. It's all incredibly lackluster too....6% bonus to projectile dmg, 10 dex, 8% melee dmg....OOOH BOY SOOO creative.

because 4% melee damage reduction, 1.5% chance to blind, 4% chance to bleed, etc. are way... better...???
Edited by ChronoX#1199 on 7/28/2012 1:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Basically they have the opposite design philosophy of blizzard when it comes to skill trees.
Reply Quote
PoE's skill tree is awesome. If you're on the "I don't understand it" side, you are most likely mentally handicapped.

Classes suck. Skill systems are great.

In saying that, PoE is still fairly "meh", except for cut-throat mode.
Edited by Jason#1250 on 7/28/2012 2:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
holy !@#$, that skill tree is ridiculous
I don't even -_-

GUI can be improved aaaaaaa LOT better
and those uncreative passive bonuses
Reply Quote
And here i was thinking this was a D3 forum?
Reply Quote
Y are u so happy bout a game that has not release yet!Btw u are spamming other mmo games in D3 forums lmao!
Reply Quote
P.S. -

A little quote about cut-throat mode:

"Cut-throat

The cut-throat leagues appeal to the niche of players who demand the most hardcore gaming experience possible. In this mode, all world areas are public, with full PvP enabled by default. Slain characters drop all their items upon death. This game mode can also be combined with Hardcore to create an even more unforgiving world."

Yesssss.
Edited by Jason#1250 on 7/28/2012 2:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Why is a lead developer listening to some random idiot on twitch? That's going to be career suicide. That guy doesn't know how to create games. He knows how to play them.

At least the lead developer is talking to the community, right? What community? This twitch idiot and a bunch of chat trolls? Give me a break.

They need to stick to their own forums and stop listening to this twitch jackass.
Reply Quote
Why is a lead developer listening to some random idiot on twitch? That's going to be career suicide. That guy doesn't know how to create games. He knows how to play them.

At least the lead developer is talking to the community, right? What community? This twitch idiot and a bunch of chat trolls? Give me a break.

They need to stick to their own forums and stop listening to this twitch jackass.

Why are you so upset
Reply Quote
There are three videos on their homepage under media, and they all look bad. Voice acting is okay. The graphics are severely dated. I don't know if they plan to sell the game before increasing graphics or what, but I don't want to even try a game that looks like that.
Edited by Mike#12317 on 7/28/2012 2:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/28/2012 02:43 AMPosted by Mike
There are three videos on their homepage under media, and they all look bad. Voice acting is okay. The graphics are severely dated. I don't know if they plan to sell the game before increasing graphics or what, but I don't want to even try a game that looks like that.

The game is free
Reply Quote
The skill tree can look intimidating at first. Its really not. This is because you can look ahead and see everything all at once and there are a lot of choices. This is a really good thing. There are in fact several very creative passive bonuses, but you have to work your way down a path to choose them.

I have "Always hits, never crits" on my marauder (barb). I don't have to worry about Accuracy, or crit hit or crit damage which frees up some skill points and gear modifiers. My damage is nicely consistent. But it cost me some skill points to get there, and I don't get super high crit damage, and weapons with high crit chance and/or damage are less useful to me. It was a choice I made. One of many creative, viable choices available that actually make a difference in game play.

On the other hand, if its too much for you, you should prob stick with d3.

Classes have identity, but its one of those parrot phrases the anti-Poe folks use because it was written somewhere by somebody who never played the game.

Combat is a bit sticky, but you really only notice at first. Then you have other more entertaining things to think about. The only time it comes up is when somebody who has never played, or is on their first day, comments.

Well, I've wasted enough time here. I just got a 5 socket, 5 link 2h axe in Poe that does incredible damage. Later.
Reply Quote
Well now since you love that skill tree, that is restrictive. A skill tree that is like the sphere grid in Final Fantasy X, then go ahead and play that game. I am saying play whatever game gives you fun.
Edited by ShadowAegis#1537 on 7/28/2012 3:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nothing like leveling up and *boom*, adding a +2% damage passive skill!

Yeah, there's a reason skill trees like that have been disappearing from games. It isn't because they're somehow "too difficult" or "too complex" or "too free" for today's gamers. It's because that type of skill tree is boring and meaningless. People want to level up and get an awesome new ability to try out, not a completely unnoticeable passive increase.
Reply Quote
im loving the spiderweb style skill system. i dont get why the devs of d3 tried to make it to simple because when i saw that spiderweb and all the different things that drop i knew i was gonna love this game. the more things to do in a game is better. and some people say tp and id scrolls were dumb but when i saw they use them in poe i was glad to see them. why because its just something extra to do. being able to upgrade my skills through gems is also cool because it gives you something else to do while your grinding for loot. i know we all want that great loot to drop, but i like to have tons of stuff to do while im waiting for it to drop also. it just adds more fun and variety to the game.
Reply Quote
Nothing like leveling up and *boom*, adding a +2% damage passive skill!

Yeah, there's a reason skill trees like that have been disappearing from games. It isn't because they're somehow "too difficult" or "too complex" or "too free" for today's gamers. It's because that type of skill tree is boring and meaningless. People want to level up and get an awesome new ability to try out, not a completely unnoticeable passive increase.

I dunno about you but I tried the game and its awesome. I'm sorry if given the freedom to play however you want is too hard for you.
Reply Quote
07/28/2012 03:36 AMPosted by OmegaSupreme
I dunno about you but I tried the game and its awesome. I'm sorry if given the freedom to play however you want is too hard for you.
Did you even read what I said? Freedom and difficulty aren't synonymous, much less freedom and quality. It's not too hard of a system, it's a bad system.
Reply Quote
P.S. -

A little quote about cut-throat mode:

"Cut-throat

The cut-throat leagues appeal to the niche of players who demand the most hardcore gaming experience possible. In this mode, all world areas are public, with full PvP enabled by default. Slain characters drop all their items upon death. This game mode can also be combined with Hardcore to create an even more unforgiving world."

Yesssss.

The trolling potential is strong with this one mode!
Reply Quote
You dont have to see them as Skillz, they got the name wrong with the ''Skill Tree''. it should be called an Ability tree, because you can get stats(+ int,str,dex,ias,Lr) and ''skillz''(Blood magic,Resolute technique,Point blank,etc). This combination makes you play differently and gear differently depending of your choices... and this is not to mention the Skill gems that you have you base on to put ur skillz point for, and at same time select gems depending on ur skillz
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]