Diablo® III

PoE

How many different skills, hotkeys, can you use in PoE?

D3:s six skills only was a huge disappointment for me, always thought it was fun to have a huge array of skills binded to hotkeys ready to use. In D2 for example it wasn't that uncommon, with skills granted from items to use up all 15 skill hotkeys. Gave lots of room to spice things up when you where killing mobs. So instead of just spamming amp damage and dim vision you could use terror, attract, decrep, lower resist and so on. Kept things interesting.

I would imagine from the looks of it though that PoE is designed to be like D3, meaning fewer hotkeys?
Looks like there is alot of theorycrafting in the game though so guess that would make up for it somewhat.

8 total: 3 for your mouse then 5 assigned to Q-T (which I'm sure can be remapped but I haven't bothered).

A lot of the other customization comes from support gems and such not just in where you assign skills.

You've obviously not tried it. It's free and open beta (stress test) ends today I believe. Might as well give it a shot.
Reply Quote
I like PoE quite a bit, but I do think that their combat needs to be spruced up a little.

It doesn't have the same fluid/dynamic pace of TL2 or D3.

So, I get Lightening Arrow, which is allright - later on, I get a Multiple Projectiles support gem - which is about the biggest change this is going to see. Then what? Pretty much the skill feels exactly the same for the rest of my characters life.

Sure, I can give it minor tweaks with other support gems - pierce is handy, added cold damage/etc, but it still 'feels' the same. I could just as easily swap out Lightening Arrow for Burning Arrow and it would feel the same (except I'd need to respec some passives to get more bang out of fire than lightening)

95% of my combat is just running out of melee range and spraying with Lightening Arrow, maybe if I'm feeling fancy I might use Projectile Weakness to do a little more damage, or stack on Puncture/Poison Arrow if they have a hefty bit of life regen and I want a DoT to negate it a bit.

I've leveled 3 bow-focused rangers (lvl 54 / 40 / 34) - and they all play pretty much the same at level 54 as they did at lvl 15 even with different focuses for passives and active skills. Sure, the stats make them different - but the gameplay feels the same.

Traps / Totems / Mines help a bit to add a bit of dynamics to combat, however it felt like using them was 'just adding a bit of flavour for my own amusement' where simply sticking to my middle-click 95% of the time was easier and just as effective.

I also kind of miss the dynamics to combat that things like Waller/Frozen/Arcane add to elite packs.
Reply Quote
How many different skills, hotkeys, can you use in PoE?

D3:s six skills only was a huge disappointment for me, always thought it was fun to have a huge array of skills binded to hotkeys ready to use. In D2 for example it wasn't that uncommon, with skills granted from items to use up all 15 skill hotkeys. Gave lots of room to spice things up when you where killing mobs. So instead of just spamming amp damage and dim vision you could use terror, attract, decrep, lower resist and so on. Kept things interesting.

I would imagine from the looks of it though that PoE is designed to be like D3, meaning fewer hotkeys?
Looks like there is alot of theorycrafting in the game though so guess that would make up for it somewhat.

8 total: 3 for your mouse then 5 assigned to Q-T (which I'm sure can be remapped but I haven't bothered).

A lot of the other customization comes from support gems and such not just in where you assign skills.

You've obviously not tried it. It's free and open beta (stress test) ends today I believe. Might as well give it a shot.

Sounds ok. 8 skills is abit low but at least more then what D3 offer. Will most definately give PoE a shot when it is released.
Reply Quote
I like PoE quite a bit, but I do think that their combat needs to be spruced up a little.

It doesn't have the same fluid/dynamic pace of TL2 or D3.

On one hand I agree, on the other I like that it's almost more realistic the way it is. My Marauder swings a giant hammer and it's slow as hell... but when it connects it destroys :)
Reply Quote
I've also tried it and found it rather enjoyable. It just goes to show what 19 dedicated devs and a few hundred donors can achieve if they put heart and soul into a game. A comparison between the two wouldn't be fair judging by the budgets, but as far as I'm concerned, being a beta tester in both these games, PoE stands out as being a far better choice in terms of replay ability, diversity, atmosphere and overall fun.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
In PoE you play for about 10 hours before you progress past autoattack/secondary attack.

Yawn.

I played for an hour and I had 1 extra attack, a swing with both weapons.

It was cool that a company rep/developer was talking in chat with us, though. Answering questions and explaining features and where the game was going. An awesome personal touch that showed someone actually cared about the game.

I really hope they get it fixed, the game has a decent feel too it and looks l like the character systems give TONS of re playability. I like the skill systems, the potion system, and plenty of other things about the game. It has potential.

But a free to play game has to hook you FAST. I don't have anything invested in it, so I'm not going to waste 10 hours to see if my 5 min time investment was worth it.

I played an hour, it bored me to tears. I hope they make it better, I'll try it again when its not in beta (maybe).

Aren't new abilities granted when you socket the skills into items? Watched like a 5 min video and the guy had like 4-5 abilities.
Reply Quote
07/29/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Rhetorical
Crying? I simply pointed out that if after an hour you only had one attack aside from the default attack you're doing something wrong. After you get over that it's not D3 you get the same ramp up once you get over the learning curve. Plus what does that ramp up in D3 lead to? Hundreds of hours of farming for !@#$ty drops.

According to the developer who was in the chat, it took 10 hours or so before you started getting more complicated attacks. I'm not interested in autoattack + double autoattack + two autoattacks right after the other for 10 hours. Boring. By 10 hours in I had a full compliment of skills in D3, and was having fun blowing away hordes of monsters in D3 (and in D2, for that matter).

So, for all the people who say I'm doing it wrong, I'm simply listening to the words of one of the game's creators.

Why would I believe you over him?

We're not talking about what a dev said... we're talking about your experience. If after only one hour you only had one attack you're slow.

It's a moot point... you clearly prefer the shallow systems in D3.
Reply Quote
Within the first few hours of playing there is so much more depth to skill set, itemization, and character customization than D3. Here's just a few pros and cons:

PROS
- Massive character skill sheet leaves it open for endless combinations of builds.
- Lack of cool downs on potions and skills makes combat more of a thinking game.
- Variety of affixes on items (including potions!), positive and negative, requires more thought and planning when choosing items for your character.
- Ability to alter and upgrade items, regardless of rarity, making "white items" more worth picking up at times.
- HUGE stash space!
- NO GOLD! You trade items!

CONS
- Story is lackluster. I've been playing quite a bit this weekend and I'm still not really sure what the story is, exactly.
- Maps are horrible and feel like something out of a text-based game. It makes it very difficult sometimes to navigate and know where you are, have been, or are going.
- Graphics are a bit dated
- Character builds are maybe too open-ended. It's neat that you can build a melee class to be a caster or ranged but ultimately that won't really work very well.
- Very limited inventory space, which makes trips back to town frequent. Granted this becomes less and less of a problem as you progress as you begin looking for more rare items.
Edited by theodore#1898 on 7/29/2012 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote

- Story is lackluster. I've been playing quite a bit this weekend and I'm still not really sure what the story is, exactly.
- Maps are horrible and feel like something out of a text-based game. It makes it very difficult sometimes to navigate and know where you are, have been, or are going.

From what I understand the little bit of the story we get is because it's in beta, there's much more to it but have to wait for official release.

The map thing though is really annoying, I deal with it because it's an overall minor issue but I hope they fix it.
Reply Quote
I played PoE for a week gotten to level 40 Witch. I never want to play Diablo 3 ever again. This game is still in closed beta and it's already better than diablo 3. Play it and prove me wrong cost 10$ to play it now or wait till Jan 23 for open beta. Yea D3 is a huge failure i said it, regret ever buying the game that feels like WoW than diablo series arpg
Reply Quote
12/19/2012 06:30 AMPosted by freelancer
I played PoE for a week gotten to level 40 Witch. I never want to play Diablo 3 ever again. This game is still in closed beta and it's already better than diablo 3. Play it and prove me wrong cost 10$ to play it now or wait till Jan 23 for open beta. Yea D3 is a huge failure i said it, regret ever buying the game that feels like WoW than diablo series arpg

Totally agree!
Reply Quote
i gandered at POE today. it's a slow moving sucky graphic bubble gum game that ripped off blizzard. i would sue them if i was blizzard cause damn they weren't very original in making said game. they did fill in some gaps which d3 neglected but all and all it looks like crap/
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 10:11 AMPosted by Pablopee
i gandered at POE today. it's a slow moving sucky graphic bubble gum game that ripped off blizzard. i would sue them if i was blizzard cause damn they weren't very original in making said game. they did fill in some gaps which d3 neglected but all and all it looks like crap/

ripped off? you mean sony should sue blizzard for copying EQ too right, and like the people who made D&D should sue blizzard too yes? i could go on but that argument is stupid considering diablo 3 had 12 years to be made and didn't move in on it and an indie made their own kind of diablo game in 6 years and blizzard has no title similar to their game mechanics and system unless you're claiming an ARPG is an IP that blizzard completely owns? Then disney should sue you for crying.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 2/6/2013 5:23 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]