Diablo® III

Heaven and Hell

If Heaven and Hell are physical places that people can travel to (in the D3 universe), then where do our souls go when we die? Do we acquire new bodies once we get to where we're going? Instead of going to Heaven and Hell, it might have been better if the playing character instead went to alternate (physical) universes that are governed by one or the other. They wouldn't even need to look any different. Come to think of it, I always wondered about the Christian claim that Jesus ascended into Heaven (body and soul). How did his body get there? Physical matter requires space, and the afterlife is non-physical and outside of space-time. Also, in D3, the demons invaded Heaven ... Was God on vacation at the time? It would have had no difficulty at all in expelling a bunch of demons.
Reply Quote
The Unformed* Land is where spirits go when they aren't stickin around on Sanctuary. I don't really know much about it, but I'm under the impression that nothing has a physical body there, just a spiritual one. The High Heavens do not have a "god".

Edit: my bad, unformed not unshaped.
Edited by Ascendedone#1637 on 7/27/2012 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So angels and demins are more like aliens in the Diablo universe?
Reply Quote
In the Diablo universe, souls do not go to Heaven or Hell when they die, they go to some realm beyond the reach of angels and demons, referred to by Witchdoctors as 'The Unformed Land'.

Unless a person does something stupid which gets their soul trapped (like messing with demonic magic), the spirit goes to the Unofrmed Land and nobody really knows what happens to it there.

Except Necromancers and Witchdoctors, but they aren't exactly talkative in regards to this subject.

edit:

Yea, kinda. Except they are also the ancestors of humans, so they aren't really alien alien.
Edited by Starkiller on 7/27/2012 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/27/2012 11:29 AMPosted by Starblazer

For the purposes of the story, yes, they are equivalent to aliens.
Reply Quote
I like the Unformed Land idea. However, in Diablo 2, Cain once said; "Although Heaven's gates are a marvel to behold, I hope that I won't have to see them again for many, many years". That seemed to imply that he thought that he'd go to Heaven when he died. He could have been wrong though. Come to think of it, what happens when an angel or a demon dies (in the Diablo universe)? In D3, the sorceress companion mentions that slain demons are reborn in Hell, so my guess is that this happens for angels too.
Reply Quote
07/27/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Starblazer
In D3, the sorceress companion mentions that slain demons are reborn in Hell, so my guess is that this happens for angels too.

Angels are reborn after a number of years from the Crystal Arch, and yes demons are reborn in Hell.
Reply Quote
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that God probably is not present in the Diablo universe. I think the concept of Heaven in the world of Diablo is different from our concept of it in that in Sanctuary it is not the place you go when you die, but perhaps people have glimpsed it and started worshipping it that way? But yeah, it is implied that when people die in Sanctuary they go to the Unformed Lands.
Reply Quote
08/02/2012 09:19 PMPosted by Loki
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that God probably is not present in the Diablo universe. I think the concept of Heaven in the world of Diablo is different from our concept of it in that in Sanctuary it is not the place you go when you die, but perhaps people have glimpsed it and started worshipping it that way? But yeah, it is implied that when people die in Sanctuary they go to the Unformed Lands.

"God" is not present in Diablo 3, but people in Sanctuary still believe in gods. Whether they actually exist in Sanctuary is another topic. (Extremely powerful Nephalem could be mistaken for gods, or you could consider them to be gods since they are so powerful) The people of Sanctuary do not and have never worshiped the High Heavens, as far as I know.
Reply Quote
Anu sounds like it might be the creator god in the Diablo universe:
http://www.diablowiki.com/Anu

Tathamet could be something along the lines of the devil:
http://www.diablowiki.com/Tathamet
Reply Quote
Anu and Tathamet have been long since dead. (right?) Anu has been split and his evil half was Tathamet, the two pieces have further split into the demons of the Burning Hells and Angels and some of their sacred objects like the world stone and the spire diablo tried to corrupt
Reply Quote
Are they really dead, or did they just change forms? They could be like the overminds in Starcraft.
Reply Quote
Christianity does not exist in Diablo -.- Keep your religious preconceptions away.
Reply Quote
The equivalent of Christianity in the Diablo universe is Zakarum.
Reply Quote
08/03/2012 11:18 PMPosted by Chris
The equivalent of Christianity in the Diablo universe is Zakarum.

No.

No.

No.

Keep Our Holy Lord Jesus Christ out of this. We're discussing a video game.
Reply Quote
Zakarum might have parallels with Christianity. You'll even see crosses in cemeteries.
Reply Quote
Diablos story about the origins of the heavens and hells is more believable than Christianity's
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]