Diablo® III

Did anyone play DAoC?

11Lx Sm,11Lx Eld,10Lx Warlock.Daoc is the best game ever !
Reply Quote
RIP Old School Emain!
Reply Quote
I played DAoC for a long time. I loved the game. It was my first MMORPG. I started playing it not long after launch when I got my first broadband Internet connection. I quit not long after the disastrous Trials of Atlantic expansion was released. That expansion ruined the game and sent it into a death spiral. I guess today it is just a niche game. That was a case of the company failing to listen to their players. I participated in the BETA for ToA and many of us who did warned Mythic developers of the problems. We went unheard and the game failed.

Mythic did not have a Forum. The outcry on the various public forums was intense and the negatives there were almost to the level of what has been happening in this forum.

This is sort of like what is happening now with Diablo 3. Many, like myself, feel the Diablo franchise has been ruined and Blizzard's reputation has been badly tarnished. I feel Blizzard is not istening to the complaints and criticisms. They have chosen the path of non-communication with their player base. There was a phrase developed during the ToS furor for DAoC... it is called the Ostrich Syndrome. Stick your head in the sand and the problem will go away. Unfortunately that is false logic for sure.
Reply Quote
07/30/2012 01:58 PMPosted by XvX
RIP Old School Emain!

Old school email was so boring and you always got rolled in the first valley. I love new frontiers.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
07/30/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Awesome
I don't even know what DAoC is. What's the point in naming anything if people are just going to acronym it?

first google hit for daoc is the game website.

You're probably right, but for anybody that doesn't know, why does Google suddenly become a necessity in every day conversation?

07/30/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Onumis
I don't even know what DAoC is. What's the point in naming anything if people are just going to acronym it?

I take it you haven't played mmo's except for WoW probably..

I played a few. I know what a few are, but I don't know what they all are.

07/30/2012 01:44 PMPosted by Onumis

Dark Age Of Camelot
http://darkageofcamelot.com/

Thank you.
Reply Quote
07/30/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Awesome
If you liked daoc you should check out GW2. I hear the WvWvW pvp style is very similar and former daoc player say it's the best they've seen since.

Personally I would recommend Lord of the Rings OnLine. It is the closest MMORP I have found to DAoC. Of course LOTRO does not have the rich PvP that DAoC did.
Reply Quote
07/30/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Onumis
RIP Old School Emain!

Old school email was so boring and you always got rolled in the first valley. I love new frontiers.

tru tru, you would get rolled eventually, but the stealth wars were great. now all the stealthers just camp their keep bridges in 8 man+ zergs. =/
Reply Quote
I played DAoC for a long time. I loved the game. It was my first MMORPG. I started playing it not long after launch when I got my first broadband Internet connection. I quit not long after the disastrous Trials of Atlantic expansion was released. That expansion ruined the game and sent it into a death spiral. I guess today it is just a niche game. That was a case of the company failing to listen to their players. I participated in the BETA for ToA and many of us who did warned Mythic developers of the problems. We went unheard and the game failed.

Mythic did not have a Forum. The outcry on the various public forums was intense and the negatives there were almost to the level of what has been happening in this forum.

This is sort of like what is happening now with Diablo 3. Many, like myself, feel the Diablo franchise has been ruined and Blizzard's reputation has been badly tarnished. I feel Blizzard is not istening to the complaints and criticisms. They have chosen the path of non-communication with their player base. There was a phrase developed during the ToS furor for DAoC... it is called the Ostrich Syndrome. Stick your head in the sand and the problem will go away. Unfortunately that is false logic for sure.

I don't really see ToA as a failure. It was very annoying at first and time consuming but I still enjoyed it and I played Daoc from day one. The public forums thing always threw me to but I thought it might of just been because of the time when the game came out. I don't really like all the abilities from arts though. I have enough hot bars as it is.
Reply Quote
Remember when the team that made DAoC made Warhammer Online? Remember when they had EA backing their game and utterly destroyed it?

Activision did the same thing with their Blizzard?

Labyrinth of the Minotaur was EA Mythic's first expansion. You know, the expansion where a class (the Mauler) and race (Minotaur) could be played by all 3 realms. The same expansion that destroyed DAoC. Yeah, goodnight World of Warcraft.

P.S. DAoC RvR will never be touched.
Reply Quote
DAoC was great. Played it for a long time. I thought it had the best PvP ever... Until Darkfall. :)

Good game, though.
Reply Quote
07/30/2012 02:06 PMPosted by XvX

tru tru, you would get rolled eventually, but the stealth wars were great. now all the stealthers just camp their keep bridges in 8 man+ zergs. =/

I use to run in War Pigs which was a all stealther group. We had a mini 4 scouts and 3 infs. We would form a circle and let groups run through it and have the mini mez then MA everyone else down. It was soooooo fun!!! Stealth groups are a blast. I sat eras yesterday with another scout picking off hibs running north to the beno towers. Good times great oldies oldies 95!
Reply Quote
I remember War Pigs! ><
I was on Hib-Palomides > Killibury Cluster > Ywain. Was in top 10 for Nightshades RP pre-Ywain.

You're exactly the group I'd avoided, as I spent most time 1v1 or 1v2. You also got a ton hate @WarPigs VN posts back then too. ><
Reply Quote
I remember War Pigs! ><
I was on Hib-Palomides > Killibury Cluster > Ywain. Was in top 10 for Nightshades RP pre-Ywain.

You're exactly the group I'd avoided, as I spent most time 1v1 or 1v2. You also got a ton hate @WarPigs VN posts back then too. ><

Ah the good old days. Before my scouts name got banned.. Her name was Playmates and then I added TasteGreat to the end and i went for like 7 months then someone complained and I got the name ban hammer. Now it's Irnoob lol
Reply Quote
I remember DAoC fondly as well, liking it until the pair of ToA epic-farmness and the "new frontiers" eliminating the old ones were the 1-2 punch taht caused me to fall out of favor with it.

---

that said, I should remind everyone of the following:

DAoC at it's peak had... 150K people I believe?

That number will never again see the light of day as a valid number for a game company bigger than "indy" developer, and no indie will give the quality necessary to have a game of that scale.

Thigns like Odin's Eye (for the unknowing: that was a "radar" program) were considered cheating, but it wasnt too big of a problem because of it's low distribution. these days? Unless you have dedicated Stealth as part of your class, be prepared to be seen from 100 miles away behind a mountain... because the game designers put taht functionality right in the game. It wrecks the strategic concept of a "trap", but lord help you to try to explain to the playerbase this... heck, we saw on this very forum what happens when a lead designer tries to explain "fun" to the players.

DAoC was great for it's day, but you will never see the likes of it again, because the day of DAoC is a relic. GW2's WvWvW? Don't get me wrong, it may very well be great... I certainly hope it is, my "MMO niche" needs something to fill it badly. But it won't be DAoC. The ---majority playerbase--- wouldn't stand for it.
Reply Quote
Funny but i got into DAOC just after i quit D2. I quit D2 because they nerfed my barb hard when they introduced immune abilities and didnt offer a respec.

But that game had some exploits early on didnt it ! I was Pellinor/Hib, and i remember going on a midnight raid against middies to snag their relic using an exploit where you could batter down the inner door with a catapult from the outside, and then send in a stealther to snag the relic and get out. Half the middies quit in protest next day :) But it was 2 weeks of insane 6 hours a night defend the Relics from the MIds and Albs, but we kept them :)
Took Mythic at least 2 weeks to patch that.
How about sitting up the mountainside near the hib portal point and throwing down rocks on lowbies with your catapult!
Or maybe the purposefully lagging near the border with midgard so you can get into their PVE areas and go on a rampage....fun times.

Trials of Atlantis was insanely good also, though at the time i thought it was a massive grind. But its got nothing on D3 eh ?
Reply Quote
Yep! LOVE DAoC!!

Played from right before Shrouded Isles and up...still pop on from time to time but most of my RL friends/guild members left to pursue other games.

Great MMO and the PvP (Darkness Falls was really cool) is incredible. Too many characters across all realms to count but had "FUN" with all of them for years now.
Reply Quote
Since I had free 14 days... I just reactivated my accounts.
Reply Quote
DAoC at it's peak had... 150K people I believe?

That number will never again see the light of day as a valid number for a game company bigger than "indy" developer, and no indie will give the quality necessary to have a game of that scale.

250k for DAoC.

http://mmodata.blogspot.com/

Darkfall was made by an independent and hit 100,000+.

EVE Online is around 450,000 accounts. They just won some independent award, too.

There are a number of others. Keep in mind that there are so many MMOs out there we never hear of, but are played by many:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]