Diablo® III

How I justify video games to my wife

I call this the "movie equation" and it is a fairly straightforward method to combat a wife/husband/gf/bf/parent that either doesn't play video games or completely loathes the idea of "wasting" money on gaming:

(Time Entertained)/(Price for Entertainment) = (Entertainment Value)

Simply enter your numbers and literally prove how much more cost effective playing video games is than going to the movies. For example, let's say tickets are $10 (low-balling it) for a 3 hour movie. The equation looks like this:

3/10 = 0.3ev

Now, if we plug in the numbers for a video game with the assumption that you are going to spend at least 30 hours over the course of the game and a standard cost of $60, we get this:

30/60 = 0.5ev

Likewise, with a game like Diablo 3 (or Skyrim, SC2, Angry Birds, etc) where insane amounts of hours can be racked up, we can get something like this:

180/60 = 3.0ev

There you have it, mathematical proof that video games are more cost effective for your family than going to the movies.

p.s. This is in no way an argument for or against the state of D3, just something fun that I try to use when discussing the entertainment value of gaming with my wife. It hardly works but it's still worth trying now and then.
Reply Quote
try this:

at least when I'm playing computer games you know I'm not playing love games.

maybe she'll see it your way then :P

nice formula though lol
Reply Quote
rtrm: That's true, she has said that she'd rather me be home being a geek rather than me being out all hours of the night.
Reply Quote
i know right tom.

to Wife, we home together, we spend time together (which is fine since she works 2nd and i work 3rd and haveoppsite days off, but man thurs frid, sat, = no diablo time, which could be one of the reasons i still enjoy it.
Reply Quote
Also, a game like League of Legends breaks the equation entirely:

X/0 = ERRORev
Reply Quote

but using your formula for D3 would still come out 'high' for anyone who has spent lots of time into it.. hater or not.. so its slightly inaccurate in a way that it need to take in 'enjoyment' since many people spend lots of time on the game but are not enjoying it..

but for a generic method to show/prove why money isnt wasted on games its a good formula..
whether or not if its a waste of time is a completely different argument..
:D

But if my wife found out I wasn't enjoying a game that would open up a whole new argument against my hobby, so I have to portray myself as having a good time. When she asks what I'm doing, no matter how frustrated I might be, I respond with a smile and, "Oh, just knockin' around a few demons."
Reply Quote
07/31/2012 05:07 AMPosted by TomHarris
But if my wife found out I wasn't enjoying a game that would open up a whole new argument against my hobby, so I have to portray myself as having a good time. When she asks what I'm doing, no matter how frustrated I might be, I respond with a smile and, "Oh, just knockin' around a few demons."

lol whilst she wonders why your face looks constipated.. unless you pull off the forced fun look..
:P

She's seen me yell at little kids through PS3 voice chat over Little Big Planet 2. I think anything below that level of frustration is acceptable in her eyes, haha
Reply Quote
07/31/2012 05:13 AMPosted by Klismo

lol whilst she wonders why your face looks constipated.. unless you pull off the forced fun look..

She's seen me yell at little kids through PS3 voice chat over Little Big Planet 2. I think anything below that level of frustration is acceptable in her eyes, haha

you animal lol
Reply Quote

you animal lol

They shouldn't be joining my game if they're not ready to dominate.
Reply Quote
07/31/2012 05:27 AMPosted by TomHarris
They shouldn't be joining my game if they're not ready to dominate.

lol how many kids did you make cry.. pro husband material awaiting fatherhood..

Three kids already (Aged from 7 years to 3 days - literally just had the baby), I don't think I've ever made a kid cry over voice chat, but I have made one guy apologize profusely for being a mediocre player... and that was by accident. When my oldest was three years old, I was playing Halo 3 online and while I wasn't paying attention he found out the splendor that is sharpie markers... Upon turning my gaze from team deathmatch and seeing what was either a short elephant or a tall cat poorly drawn on the wall I let out a, "WHAT THE F ARE YOU DOING?!"

One of my teammates responded, "...Sorry... I'll stop trying to snipe."
Reply Quote

god forbid any of your kids turn out to be noobs.. motivational yelling at its finest..
"stop QQ & l2p!!"

I'll allow noobery in my house as long as they get good grades. If their grades drop, they will either need to study harder or learn to beat me in Capcom Vs. SNK 2 before they're allowed any other form of recreation.
Reply Quote
lol you're like one of those korean dads who you have to beat in SC2 if you want to marry their daughter..

well its one way to make them better whilst striving for their goal.. own child is a noob? *shudders*

Youngest is a daughter and knowing how gamers would rather bang around some monsters than bang another chick, I think I'm going to start developing a VG skills and history test that her suitors must pass before... before...

Damn it... She's going to be a teenager some day and that's frightening. Guess I'll have to make sure she's the best and most dedicated gamer in the family, that'll keep her occupied.
Reply Quote
I just remind my wife that if she was where she was supposed to be (the kitchen), she would have no idea that I was even playing video games. Chop chop, woman. Daddy's hungry.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]