Diablo® III

Suggest a Book Series

Dark Tower - Stephen King
Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
Nightside series - Simon R Green
Riftwar Sags - Raymond Feist (though theres a bout 27 or so books in the complete series its well worth the read)
Reply Quote
Stay a while, and listen...or read about Deckard Cain's search for lost members of the Horadrim.

Diablo III: The Order
Author: Nate Kenyon

Oh sure you reply to this thread, but when we are discussing about other games on diablo 3 forums you close their threads. This thread should be closed also. Have some consistency.
Reply Quote
Goosebumps.

End of discussion.
Reply Quote
Maybe someone can explain this to me, but I just don't get the Fire and Ice series. At one point I read the wikipedia about the fire and ice and noticed there was no magic used in the entire series. Now, my personal tastes can only categorize a sci-fi/fantasy story as something that either has to do with space or some form of magic. If the story doesn't not have that (which I believe song of fire and ice have none) I can not think of as such.

IMO, Song of Fire and Ice, would be an incredibly boring read. It has no mystical/mythical entity in the series. Would seem like just a fantasy history book....barf. Never ready a single book in the series though. I just feel I would find any sci-fi/fantasy w/o some sort of magic system a complete bore and waste of time....to each his own though.

My personal favorite is Wheel of Time. Started ready shannara series and Mistborn. After I finish WoT I plan on picking up Malazan: Book of the Fallen series, I hear its just as epic as WoT but more action packed.
Reply Quote
The Hardy Boys
Reply Quote
I've never understood why Wheel of Time is popular. The first three books in the series create a wonderful universe and are well thought out for the most part. But then the series starts to degrade. R. Jordan introduces characters and sub-plots only to abandon them and never again address them. The later books in WoT read to me as if the author had it all planned out in his head but never used a story board to cohesively glue everything together.

I don't recommend WoT!
Reply Quote
Wheel of Time
Dresden Files
Malazan Series (Most Fav I think)
Iron Druid Series (Last book was meh but other two good)
Monster Hunter series (Really good series)
Joe Ambercrombie Hero's Series (Awesome, Logan Nine Fingers anyone?)
Star Wars, New Jedi Order Series
Song of Fire and Ice (Good but not as good as WoT or Malazan)
Mistborn
Nightangel Trilogy
Lies of Locke Lamora (Deep read for mature readers to be honest)
Grimnoir Chronicles (Another Amazing Series)

That should keep you busy for about the next year or so depending on your reading style.
Reply Quote
70 Goblin Shaman
Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
Gentlemen Bastards Series by Scott Lynch (Book 1 is Lies of Locke Lamora; Book 2 is Red Seas Under Red Skies)
Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks
Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan
First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (plus Best Served Cold and The Heroes which are set in the same world with many of the same characters)

I just finished The Warded Man and The Desert Spear by Peter Brett and they were decent (book 2 was better than book 1).
Reply Quote
70 Goblin Shaman
Wheel of Time
Dresden Files
Malazan Series (Most Fav I think)
Iron Druid Series (Last book was meh but other two good)
Monster Hunter series (Really good series)
Joe Ambercrombie Hero's Series (Awesome, Logan Nine Fingers anyone?)
Star Wars, New Jedi Order Series
Song of Fire and Ice (Good but not as good as WoT or Malazan)
Mistborn
Nightangel Trilogy
Lies of Locke Lamora (Deep read for mature readers to be honest)
Grimnoir Chronicles (Another Amazing Series)

That should keep you busy for about the next year or so depending on your reading style.

Heh, looks like you beat me to a few of my favorites.

Some friends were just telling me how good the Iron Druid series is, but the covers are sooooo cheesy : (
Reply Quote
Raymond Feist: (multiple series but all take place in the same world)
Davis Eddings: (multiple series excluding the Elder Gods series. DO NOT READ THE ELDER GOD SERIES)
Mickey Zucker Reichert: The Renshai Trilogy. A Norse based series with fantastic fighting scenes.
Gary Gygax: Gord the Rogue series. The original D&D novels. Good luck finding them
Elizabeth Moon: The Deeds of Paksaranon(sp): Some of the best military writing I've read in a fantasy novel.
Eric Nylund: Mortal Coils trilogy.
Reply Quote
Maybe someone can explain this to me, but I just don't get the Fire and Ice series. At one point I read the wikipedia about the fire and ice and noticed there was no magic used in the entire series. Now, my personal tastes can only categorize a sci-fi/fantasy story as something that either has to do with space or some form of magic. If the story doesn't not have that (which I believe song of fire and ice have none) I can not think of as such.

IMO, Song of Fire and Ice, would be an incredibly boring read. It has no mystical/mythical entity in the series. Would seem like just a fantasy history book....barf. Never ready a single book in the series though. I just feel I would find any sci-fi/fantasy w/o some sort of magic system a complete bore and waste of time....to each his own though.

My personal favorite is Wheel of Time. Started ready shannara series and Mistborn. After I finish WoT I plan on picking up Malazan: Book of the Fallen series, I hear its just as epic as WoT but more action packed.

Magic is used in the series but very sparingly. I've read the genre for 35 years now and it is far and away the best series in the genre.
Reply Quote
Standard preventing end of the world faire:
The Belgariad - David Eddings
Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
Wheel of time - Robert Jordan / Brandon Sandersen
Riftwar Sage - Raymond E Feist
Hawk and Fisher - Simon Green

Fantasy / Mystery
Dresdon Files - Jim Butcher
Nightside - Simon Green
The Hollows - Kim Harrison

D&D esque
Anything dragonlance or forgotten realms particularly Dragons of Autumn Twilight Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman
Deathgate cycle - margaret weis tracey hickman
SpellJammer - various authors

Just plain good
Blue Moon Rising - Simon Green (possibly my favorite book)
ColdFire Trilogy - C.S. Friedman
Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
Edited by Kavidar#1390 on 8/1/2012 6:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If your looking for something a little more lighthearted the "Tiffany Aching" series by Terry Pratchett is really good. It's pretty well self-contained and although it is billled as a "young adult" series it is just fine for adults as well.

Books are:

The Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
The Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight

If you are in the mood for something decidedly more dark then the ongoing "Game of Thrones" series from George R.R. Martin is really good (It starts with "A Song of Fire and Ice"). But I will warn you now that if you are the sort that gets "emotionally attached" to characters you like that series may be a bit hard on you...

I really enjoyed the Pratchett Books though, he can give some good witty social commentary on serious subjects while still keeping things light enough to "have fun". If you have never read him you can't go wrong trying out "The Wee Free Men" and seeing if you like his style:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wee-Free-Men-Discworld/dp/0060012382/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343871421&sr=8-1&keywords=wee+free+men

And I have to agree with a previous post: Sam Vimes is indeed "The Man" :)
Reply Quote
I second Forgotten Realms (especially the Dark Elf Trilogy, but most of the dozens of books are good or good enough), A Song of Fire and Ice, and The Wheel of Time.

To add to that:

The Pit Dragon Chronicles - Jane Yolen - full disclosure: it's young adult, but if you can get past that all this really means is that it's a quick read, it actually offers a good story, especially in the first book.

Dragon Star - Melanie Rawn - a solid trilogy set after the preceding Dragon Prince trilogy by the same author (I only read the Dragon Star trilogy; it was good).

The Camulod Chronicles - Jack Whyte - more historical than fantasy, and totally lacking dragons, this series (something like eight books in total) depicts the seeds of Arthurian legend, beginning with the gradual fall of the Roman Empire.

08/01/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Kavidar
ColdFire Trilogy - C.S. Friedman
I just spent the past hour looking for this on Amazon; all I remembered were basic story elements, and so failed miserably. Great series, and thanks for listing it.
Edited by Ansultares#1618 on 8/1/2012 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
the prince of nothing, by s bakker

some crazy stuff
Reply Quote
Kingkiller chronicles, for real. It rocked my world and look forward to more from Patrick Rothfuss.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
How far did you get in SoT? I stopped after Naked Empire. The only DragonLance I have read were Soulforge and the chronicles named after each season.

You might want to try Song of Ice and Fire (as already mentioned), The Farseer, and The Wheel of Time.

I have all of the SoT books. They are very well written. The author really draws you in and makes you care for the characters. And the Test of the Twins is the best mini series based off of the Dragonlance books. I highly recommend reading them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]