Diablo® III

Suggest a Book Series

Lord of the Rings. The books are long but the stories are freaking awesome. The developments and contents were a lot better than the movies. They are really long but once you're hooked, it doesn't matter.
Reply Quote
Author: A.Sapkowski
Series: The Witcher
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher

Best fantasy series I have ever read.
I'm also big fan of Knaak and his stories but Sapkowski is a bite better writer IMO.
Reply Quote
I'll toss in a vote for the A song of Ice and Fire (and add that you should check the Dunk and Egg short stories too), Sword of Truth, Dragon Prince/Star and Mistborn.

Other good ones to consider:

Axis Trilogy, Wayfarer Redemption and Darkglass Tower - Sarah Douglass
Apprentice Adept (short and easy 7 book series, but a fun one) - Pierce Anthony
Kingmaker Kingbreaker, Fisherman's Children, A Blight of Mages - Karen Miller
The Symphony of Ages - Elizabeth Haydon
Darkness Series (WW2 in redone as Fantasy) - Harry Turtledove
Reply Quote
the king killer trilogy, first book, "name of the wind" is awesome (and so is the second). Still waiting for the third book.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Oh boy, where to start. I guess I'll start with one of my favorites, The Wheel of Time. Might also want to check out the Mistborn series, and a new series that started recently The Stormlight Archive Book 1: The Way of Kings.

Lots of stuff there for you to explore.

^This guy knows whats up.

My girlfriend loves Sword of Truth, and Wheel of Time is probably her favorite series (and its easily in my top 5). Its massive, so if you want a ton of content, this will be good for you. Just be patient if you find boring parts/books, it keeps getting better.

Mistborn trilogy might be my favorite, but that's a hard label to put on anything for me. It doesn't have dragons and such, but it's awesome and Brandon Sanderson is a freaking genius author. As a matter of fact, you can read any fantasy book by Sanderson and be happy. Stormlight Archives is going to be an epic series too (he just started it not too long ago).

Another I just started is Malazan Book of the Fallen. This is another massive series with a huge cast of characters. Its 10 books long and is complete, so no waiting :)
From what I understand, the first 2 books aren't as exciting as the rest because its such a massive universe that they build alot for the first few books. This series is considered by many to be one of, if not the, best fantasy series of all time.

Hope you enjoy whatever you end up reading!
Reply Quote
Warhammer 40k books, great if your into military sci fi, its similar to books like starship troopers
Reply Quote
So many it's hard to keep this limited, but I'll try:

The original Conan the Barbarian series books 1 - 12 by Robert E. Howard.

The Elric of Melnibone series books 1 - 6 by Michael Moorecock.

The Riftwar Saga books 1 - 4 by Raymond E. Feist. He added several books after which were also good, but 1 - 4 were epic.

All definitely in my top 5. And, as someone already pointed out: J.R.R. Tolkiens Lord of the Rings series including The Hobbit. Probably the best set of fantasy literature ever written imho, and easily my #1 choice.
Edited by Quetzalcoatl#1558 on 8/14/2012 5:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Paladin
08/01/2012 06:25 PMPosted by Killidrax
Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan

I'm currently working on this series...nice to know I'm not the only one (really, people should give more authors a look than the popular ones...alas).

Most of my recommendations have already been mentioned, I think, but if you haven't, I would check these out:

Dragon Prince/Star trilogies (Melanie Rawn)
Sun Sword (6 books, maybe 7, Michelle West)
Renshai series (I believe there are actually two trilogies, and another book was done recently, I never got to finish it or check if any others have been published, Mickey Zucker Reichert)

Also, the Malazan Book of the Fallen has awesome characters. It shows you can have badass characters without losing all of the humor (oh, Karsa Orlong, you beast).
Edited by Nyaochan#1511 on 8/14/2012 2:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The Shannara series was pertty good!

I would suggest The Saga of Recluse series by L.E. Modesett Jr. It is not technically dungeons and dragons, but it is magice based fantasy. I absolutley loved the entire series!!

I would also suggest the Tolkein series too (of course!!) =D

I really liked the Dragonlance series when it came out (yes, I know you read the series. I'm just saying I liked it as well!)

I haven't ead any fantasy in a few years though, so I couldn't give any current suggestions.
Reply Quote
The Belgariad/Mallorean
The Kingkiller Chronicles
Reply Quote

The Belgariad - David Eddings (Radek of Boktor = Radek the Merchant in D3)? eh eh?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to see that. *high five*
Reply Quote
70 Troll Druid
Sharpe's series, Bernard Cornwell.
Reply Quote
For character driven fantasy, I highly recommend:
Celia S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy, if you want a fun !@# protagonist and a fresh look on religion/magic.
Robin Hobb's Assassin and Tawny Man Trilogies. Fitz's story is very, very... how should I say? Soulful. It has character development and a world I just fell into.

If you want a fast paced thriller, that sucks you in and makes you hate that the story ends because it was so damn fun, go read William Gibson. He's the man who coined the phrase "jacking in." Read anything by him. He started as cyberpunk, but moved to modern tech thrillers. The action in his novels is so fast paced, you'll forget to eat.
Reply Quote
08/01/2012 02:23 PMPosted by Ender
Tad Williams series called Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. I put that one right up there with A Song of Ice and Fire series.

FINALLY someone who agrees with me on this point. This trilogy is PHENOMENAL! It was also an inspiration for ASOIAF, ironically. Both of these series are my top 2 medieval/fantasy series, with Wheel Of Time/Sword Of Truth coming it at a close 3rd and 4th.
Reply Quote
Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. I am, I think the only fantasy reader who dislikes
A Song of Ice and Fire.

Great taste mentioning Erikson.

I notice most of this thread is juvenile fiction. Makes me wonder how many people are paying attention to the mature rating on the game. *shrug*

Some thought's to add.

Classic science fiction (1940's-50's vintage) The Skylark and Lensmen series from E.E.Doc Smith.

For some fantasy, Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion series.

If you haven't wasted the time on the Wheel of Plagurism (Time) I'd suggest avoiding it. There's nothing original in the entire thing, and it's written to fill space. It might have been good with half to a third of the books, since most of them go no-where. Of course the series doesn't end, because sadly the author left us before finishing. So it's a lot of time to not even get a pay-off.
Edited by MrMagoo421#1314 on 10/8/2012 9:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
as already suggested
The Belgariad - David Eddings (Radek of Boktor = Radek the Merchant in D3)? eh eh?

read through ten of these books, two five book series (belgariad and mallorean i believe?) during a week of all day detention in middle school heheh
Reply Quote
Eddings other world is really cool to. I won't say better or worse, just different. I preferred Sparhawk and company, my wife preferred Garion and company. We both enjoyed both though so all is good :).

The Elenium (The Diamond Throne, The Ruby Knight, The Saphire Rose) and The Tamuli (Domes of Fire, The Shining Ones, The Hidden City)

The kicker Chaoflux, is there's actually 3 other books outside the 2 core series for Balgariad/Malloreon. Belgarath and Polgara had stand alone books about their life story, and there was another called the Rivan Codex.
Edited by MrMagoo421#1314 on 10/10/2012 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Author: Terry Brooks

1st book in series : The Sword of Shannara.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Shannara

I really enjoy Terry Brooks, even if his first book is very derivative. That being said, it is still excellent.

I've read the entire series so far, through the most recent book released a couple months ago.

I also like the Sword of Truth series (better than the TV show, but the book series went on too long), a Song of Ice and Fire series, and The First Law series.
Reply Quote
The first Shannara series was entertaining. The second series just being the exact same story over again with new names was a let-down though.
Reply Quote
If you like heroic fantasy you could try The Drenai Series author David Gemmell
It has around 11 books and can be read in any particular order, altough I reccomend to start with the "first".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]