Diablo® III

Guild Wars 2 actually is threat to WoW.

Decide for yourself.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2012/08/02/world-of-warcraft-guild-wars-2-and-vivendi-activisions-achilles-heel/2/
Reply Quote
10 Human Priest
Ill try it, if I like it, I'll play it. Probably still play WoW too.
Reply Quote
Actibliz already did. They just don't know it yet.
Reply Quote
WoW can't last forever, although I'm guessing it will be around in some form for many years to come.

They are already working on a 'Next Generation' MMO. It's the success of that title more than WoW that will determine the future of Blizzard.

I'm hoping they are sinking all of their talent and innovation into the new title, but if the box has the Facebook logo on it I'm not going anywhere near it.
Reply Quote
Only way I can see WoW being officially "dead" is if blizzard kills the same way SW:G died. I am sure some people are smart enough to realize WoW is not dead, but the pvp in wow is dead, all the skill in WoW has been taken out, the competition of WoW is dead, but the game itself, is not dead. Blizzard will feel it is right to pull the plug on WoW when their "Titan" game has it's first expansion and realizes it is surpassing more than they had realized, just like WoW did.

It's possible for GW2 to take some numbers, but next month WoW has an expansion coming out and it will be as if those numbers didn't mean anything. Something you guys are forgetting, GW2 is B2P, there is no sub, so it will literally have to be a lot of WoW players buying GW2, and quite frankly, I do not want cry baby casuals in GW2. Asking for every other thing to be nerfed into oblivion.
Edited by EoNxBoNx#1785 on 8/3/2012 1:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Only way I can see WoW being officially "dead" is if blizzard kills the same way SW:G died. I am sure some people are smart enough to realize WoW is not dead, but the pvp in wow is dead, all the skill in WoW has been taken out, the competition of WoW is dead, but the game itself, is not dead. Blizzard will feel it is right to pull the plug on WoW when their "Titan" game has it's first expansion and realizes it is surpassing more than they had realized, just like WoW did.

It's possible for GW2 to take some numbers, but next month WoW has an expansion coming out and it will be as if those numbers didn't mean anything. Something you guys are forgetting, GW2 is B2P, there is no sub, so it will literally have to be a lot of WoW players buying GW2, and quite frankly, I do not want cry baby casuals in GW2. Asking for every other thing to be nerfed into oblivion.

Since GW2 will be free F2P, the casual crybaby demands can and should be ignored.
(Unless it's something very frustrating that everyone agrees on.)
And really, NCSoft doesn't have to satisfy the crybabies, because WoW already exists for that.
Edited by menacefox#1681 on 8/3/2012 3:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Since GW2 will be free F2P, the casual crybaby demands can and should be ignored.
(Unless it's something very frustrating that everyone agrees on.)
And really, NCSoft doesn't have to satisfy the crybabies, because WoW already exists for that.

Its not F2P, F2P refers to games that are free to play, but GW2 requires you to buy the game. So they still have to keep their customers happy.

But that article, I'm not too sure about that. The author said WoW costed $60+15 a month; did he include the fact you have to buy all the expansions because I have no idea how much it costs now.

WoW isn't evolving to the new gamer; people just don't want to gear grind anymore.
Reply Quote
Has anyone paid attention to this part?

World of Warcraft (WoW) has helped ATVI maintain its stock price, with this one single game providing roughly 30% of the revenue for the entire company via its expansion packs and monthly payments. Subscription revenue alone totaled $1.2 billion both in 2008 and 2009, and an additional $1.36 billion in 2010. Corresponding costs (the overhead cost of maintaining WoW’s virtual world) totaled a mere $404 million in the first two years mentioned, and $241 million in 2010. This means that WoW subscriptions have generated gross margins over 80% consistently. Since WoW has very high operating leverage any decline in revenue will have dramatic effects on the bottom line.

WoW bringing in 30% of the revenue into Activision/Blizzard.... If WoW keeps losing subs this is going to affect other games even outside of Blizzard into Activision. Even with all that revenue, there's just no Excuse from Blizzard that WoW's development time is starting to suffer. If Rift can provide content at a steady pace in their smaller studio, Blizzard should easily have the manpower to do this. Instead they're taking shortcuts with the heroic mode toggle, recycling content and models for raids/dungeons.

Kinda interesting Forbes is starting to post more about Activision/Blizzard since the story of Vivendi trying to sell them broke out.

As for GW 2, been paying close attention to it and may buy the game on release. The development team clearly know what they're doing. MMO genre itself needs to evolve into something else and looks like GW 2 has that potential with their dynamic questing and the no grind.
Reply Quote
Thats telling Optimism.

As for Guild Wars 2, there was an interesting dev blog that talks about what they think makes a game fun:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success/
Reply Quote
08/03/2012 08:46 PMPosted by Mellotron
WoW is too big to be killed by any game, no matter how good.

Its not WoW thats under threat, its ATVI. Optimism explained it pretty well.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Mage
Guys check the stats... try the game, then talk. I did and I have been a wow player since beta. This game will rock wows world... I hope blizzard steps it up, but if they dont they have lost their spot as the top game
Reply Quote
View profile
If the optimism is well-founded, then it's about time Blizzard got some serious competition.
Reply Quote
Wow receibe the thing was needing: good competition. That is going to make both better games.
Reply Quote
My opinion only based on the intensity of my fun:

GW2 questing 9/10
GW2 spvp 6/10

WoW questing 6/10
WoW pvp 8/10

Eve Online questing 1/10
Eve Online pvp 9/10

Not subbing wow atm but doesnt mean I wont ever. Now I wont bother these forums again regarding gw2 as their forums are now up with most of the normal catagories.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]