Diablo® III

Warning at log in for trade scam

Well two weeks ago when I tried to report some a-hole using some trade hack and stole my best drop to date and only set item I have droped. Nats boots 502 armor 53 strength 87 dex 58 rez all 12% movement speed and reduce dmg from melee attacks by 4%. Which when i clicked accept all the money went to 0 and he disappered. you told me there was nothing you could do on the phone and had no way for me to report that Ratticus was Hacking. So now that you knowledge there is hacking and stealing going on when do i get my item back? But I guess it doesnt matter who sells items on RMAH you still get your cut!!!
Edited by Yuzima#1269 on 8/3/2012 3:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
So exploits that effect your bottom line negatively are hotfixed.
And ones that effect your bottom line positively are ignored, ignored, eventually acknowledged, then finally patched?

Some changes can't be hotfixed. It's not a matter of "bottom lines," but of technological limits. Anything that affects client data (or information that's not stored server-side) requires a client patch to update: so things like art, the UI, system functionality, etc. The improvements we're making to the Trade window to help prevent scamming are changes that affect client data, so we'll need to wait for a client patch to implement them.

08/03/2012 02:47 PMPosted by ShadowStarr5
Out of curiosity, is your avatar a Dragon or a Dragonfly?

It's super-secret hidden option "c": a dragon kite.
Reply Quote
While the Breaking News window is typically intended for news or information related to service issues or interruptions, this is something I'll pass along for consideration. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

That said, we are definitely aware of the scams you and other players have reported and are working on improvements to the Trade window that should help prevent those types of scams from occurring in the future. I’ve spoken with our developers about this issue, and I can assure you that they're passionate about finding a resolution and making it so that players can feel safe and confident about trading with each other again. Unfortunately, the kinds of improvements we're making cannot be implemented via hotfix and instead require a full client patch, so please don’t think that because we haven’t made any changes yet that we do not consider this is a priority. We're hoping to get these improvements in as soon as possible (i.e. with 1.0.4), but keep in mind that sometimes schedules can change due to testing and implementation needs.

In the meantime, we encourage players to always be mindful of possible scams, and to use caution when trading with people they don't know. Additionally, [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6246615165"]as we posted previously[/url], if you have knowledge of a possible scam (or exploit, hack, or bot), the best way to inform us is by emailing hacks@blizzard.com or by completing [url="http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/submit/hacks.html"]this web form[/url]. We also ask that you refrain from posting information on how to scam or exploit others in the forums.

This is a better post about this than yesterdays. Thank you
Edited by Chuckdatass#1693 on 8/3/2012 3:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
And ones that effect your bottom line positively are ignored, ignored, eventually acknowledged, then finally patched?

Don't let em bother you lyli, their just mad at the world.
Reply Quote

Some changes can't be hotfixed. It's not a matter of "bottom lines," but of technological limits. Anything that affects client data (or information that's not stored server-side) requires a client patch to update: so things like art, the UI, system functionality, etc. The improvements we're making to the Trade window to help prevent scamming are changes that affect client data, so we'll need to wait for a client patch to implement them.

08/03/2012 02:47 PMPosted by ShadowStarr5
Out of curiosity, is your avatar a Dragon or a Dragonfly?

It's super-secret hidden option "c": a dragon kite.

Morbid curiousity. Trade window scams were a plague in D2 for its first few years. You changed them to ensure safety for players...why did you choose not to take the same measures in securing the trade window in Diablo 3? It just seems so odd that the same vulnerability that was in the start of a game 11 years ago, is in the a brand new game recently made by the same company? It's almost mind boggling.
Edited by Lawbringer#1764 on 8/3/2012 3:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It just seems so odd that the same vulnerability that was in the start of a game 11 years ago, is in the a brand new game recently made by the same company? It's almost mind boggling.

Not so odd when you consider that trading leaves Blizzard without it's 15%. Like so many other aspects of the game, a broken trade window gives players a not so subtle nudge toward the RMAH. If I didn't know better, I might think that trading was broken by design. I might even think that Blizzard was dragging it's feet on getting it fixed. But of course, that couldn't be. Could it ...
Reply Quote
08/03/2012 01:43 PMPosted by Varinia
Can I get an update on your current status?

no you are not paying my rent
Reply Quote
Hey Lylirra,

If you guys really did cared, your "company" would at least acknowledge all the scams happening and warn the player base, while you supposedly "fix" them. Instead of allowing players to have this happen to them.

Make Locked posts giving details of the scam to the point of not reproducing them, just warning players.

Current trade scams and general scams Blizzard should acknowledge to date.

General scam - Un-identified. This I doubt will get fixed, and I don't care. However without this fixed, can you at least just make everything Identified when found, or a the very least make a identify all at once button.

Trade scam removal of 0 - Acknowledge that this can happen, while you fix it, the easiest combat method for this scam is when you are the seller have the buyer push accept first. A zero cannot be removed doing this method.

Stack trade scam - Seller shows a stack of 20 gems (Hex editor hack I believe) sells for cheap, gets a buyer(fish on a hook). Buyer then trades, but only 1 gem goes through, due to the amount traded you are always on the low end by a crazy amount. Can happen with all stack-able trade goods. Combat method, have them agree to sell in splits, if they are a legitimate seller they will always split, and scammers will tell you to piss off or leave the game. *(This I believe is a actual hack of the game).

Switch trade scam - No combat method for this other than paying attention. Seller shows high end item, before trade happens, switches it in with the same model of the item but of very low quality.
Reply Quote
08/03/2012 01:59 PMPosted by ParadigmDeez
Just shut it dude. Gosh, do you know how pathetic you sound?

im pretty sure the cms can handle this on their own and dont need you to act in their behalf. all paying customers have a right to ask questions. even if we think they are without merit.
Reply Quote
While the Breaking News window is typically intended for news or information related to service issues or interruptions, this is something I'll pass along for consideration. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

That said, we are definitely aware of the scams you and other players have reported and are working on improvements to the Trade window that should help prevent those types of scams from occurring in the future. I’ve spoken with our developers about this issue, and I can assure you that they're passionate about finding a resolution and making it so that players can feel safe and confident about trading with each other again. Unfortunately, the kinds of improvements we're making cannot be implemented via hotfix and instead require a full client patch, so please don’t think that because we haven’t made any changes yet that we do not consider this is a priority. We're hoping to get these improvements in as soon as possible (i.e. with 1.0.4), but keep in mind that sometimes schedules can change due to testing and implementation needs.

In the meantime, we encourage players to always be mindful of possible scams, and to use caution when trading with people they don't know. Additionally, [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6246615165"]as we posted previously[/url], if you have knowledge of a possible scam (or exploit, hack, or bot), the best way to inform us is by emailing hacks@blizzard.com or by completing [url="http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/submit/hacks.html"]this web form[/url]. We also ask that you refrain from posting information on how to scam or exploit others in the forums.

I'm baffled that something like Wizard and Barb godmode exploits gets fixed within 24 hours, yet something related to player experience with trading between players is not fixed and not a priority. Could this be because Blizzard wants people to use the AH and see the trading window exploits because of bad coding (as the wiz/barb exploits) are something positive for the company?

This I can agree with. It's like when my bf played a certain NHL12 mode online, where you buy packs of cards for cash or in game points and use them to build a team- for a while there was a bug where you could get the packs for free (no cash or points spent). That was hotfixed within an hour- yet there are numerous glitches in the actual game such as guaranteed goals from certain areas and whatnot that have been in the game since release, and never got fixed- NHL13 is actually coming out in less than a month.
It's ridiculous that companies for some reason see fit to (as someone else said) hotfix things that cost THEM their profits, yet when it doesn't affect them, they don't care. It's almost like they're spitting on the playerbase.
Reply Quote
42 Draenei Shaman
08/03/2012 03:07 PMPosted by Lawbringer
It didn't come from China. D3 hasn't been released in China yet and they said in the quarterly disclosure that the majority of the losses came from North America.

Perhaps a typo on your part but your post seems largely premised on D3. What I quoted and then commented on was about World of Warcraft subscription losses, not D3.

And while not having actually heard the conference call, it's been reported in several places (perhaps incorrectly) that most of the WoW subscription losses came from "The East". I don't believe that's the Atlantic seaboard.

I don't honestly know what to say about the rest of your post because it depends on whether or not your mention of D3 was a typo or not. However, assuming it was, your speculation about whether or not they would ever put money into something that's losing subscribers, that's a bit difficult to understand. They most certainly have put a substantial amount of money into MoP if that is what you are inferring despite the loss of 25% of their subscriber base over the last 18 months.

Don't let your distaste for Blizzard cloud common sense. World of Warcraft is still producing most of Blizzard's revenue on an annual basis at this point in time and is not quite yet, with 9,000,000 people paying to play it, beyond the place where investing in it is worthless.
Reply Quote
08/03/2012 03:21 PMPosted by SamChowders
Why don't you guys QQ more? Always complaining about Blizzard. How great do you do your daily job? I'm sure a lot of people should be complaining about your job performance as well.

I'm pretty sure his supervisors will take care of any issues with him. like blizzards [the customer base] is taking care of this issue.
customers are you boss, without customers you have no job.
i dont agree with the crybabies. though i agree less with the people poking sticks at them.
Reply Quote
While I can definately agree with the appearance that blizzard is only fixing things that affect their bottom line, I would at least point out the recent hot fix to rubberbanding that Lylirra pointed out to us. That has absoulutely nothing to do with the their bottom line.

For the time being, I'm willing to give blizzard the benefit of the doubt that it is a technical issue as she has stated. Although Lylirra, you have to admit, the dev's should've had this patched a long time ago in one of the past patches. I don't suppose you're privy to the information on why its taken so long to get this addressed in a patch?
Reply Quote
Hey Lylirra, I made a post in the trade forums about this particular issue. Is there any chance it can be at least stickied? Or maybe you can craft up a locked stickied post warning players against the insecure trade window?
Reply Quote
08/03/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Why
Perhaps you could give us a projection of whether it's of days/weeks/months away? Somebody at Blizzard must be working from a project plan

Like he said there can be issues that come up with the testing of it that will prolong it. So its hard to give a date to when it will be out.

Bullshlt, they can give a date and state that it's not set in stone, and if something comes up, change it and inform us.

IT'S NOT HARD
Reply Quote

Like he said there can be issues that come up with the testing of it that will prolong it. So its hard to give a date to when it will be out.

Bullshlt, they can give a date and state that it's not set in stone, and if something comes up, change it and inform us.

IT'S NOT HARD

Just like all the server maintenances that get extended, and when they let people know they flip out?
With this community, you can't just "set a date that's not in stone" because people will take it as such regardless.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]