Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide part 3 (old)

You're welcome, glad the guide has helped people.

It hasn't been stickied because, no user-made guides have been stickied in any of the class forums for some reason.
Reply Quote
Needs to happens...I seen a guide some time ago for a great build and a great guide for Monks, and yet It wasnt stickied...But yours is the most comprehensive guide I've seen...It deserves to be posted as a sticky...or at least promote you to an MVP status for all the great work on the forums!
Reply Quote
Thanks for the information! Tons of help!
Reply Quote
Too bad that Spider Queen doesn't proc any CC as I am a big fan of her. Guess I have to find another skill that can proc CC+Bleed also with a good rate of LoH.
Reply Quote
i know, but i didnt pick up any globe, really.

@nightcross
while bug? that they cant inherit LoH?
I'm using that build, but when I saw it i had no CC, no more dodge, and no that passive skill (so no health regeneration on pets)

Pets can't inherit LoH from you regardless what you do now.

In the past it used to be possible, but that was a long long time ago, and it was unintentional. This means that its a bug or at least, blizzard sees it as a bug =P

So they fixed it.

Now if you want to pull off a pet build successfully, you will probably need to choose 1 of 2 builds.

- CC + LoH (Some players also use life regen).

or

- Thorns + Life Regen.

Until 1.0.4 hits and something is done to boost pets survivability, the only 2 'successful' pet builds will be either 1 of the above.

I would personally recommend you to go the CC route, as its just more general purpose and you can handle most if not all situations. Anything you cant handle can be solved by having better gears.

Thorns build is more situational, as there are mobs that doesnt proc Thorns. eg : spell casters and ranged. So if they do not activate thorns when they attack your pets, thorns effectively becomes useless and does nothing =P
Edited by NightCross#6873 on 8/7/2012 4:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/05/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Vomica
one other thing i have never seen spider queen proc CC effects on anything the jar hit does tho.

I just tested Spider queen with no other pets or followers and she definitely proc'd both fear and stun *after* the jar hit.
Reply Quote
Well though it might not be exactly the same, the thread with info in regards to LoH and skills that proc it, mentions that spider queen has a 30% proc chance.

This makes it even lower than RoT, Firepit, Acid Cloud.

If as we assumed, this 30% is translated into 30% of your CC chance to proc.

That would mean that if your chance to stun is 1%, 30% of that would mean 0.3% chance. Which isnt exactly the highest chance to proc.

So that may be why some players have claimed to 'never' see spider queen proc any CCs.
Edited by NightCross#6873 on 8/7/2012 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You just forgot to mention that pet damage isn't reflected back at them but at you... that sucks... you can't get LoH from pets but reflect dmg will reflect the dmg back to you
Reply Quote
@PETER!!! thanks for keeping this going! how's the 15k hp? i really can't stand dipping below 30k...

also, i was quick to learn that finding a bunch of WDs for mass cc isn't going to be as good as 3 WDs and a barb for shout.

one other thing i have never seen spider queen proc CC effects on anything the jar hit does tho.
its still great for stacking Bleed and LoH hits tho.

I can vouch for that Spider Queen dont Proc CC other than the jar, as i have test it before. I also agreed that Spider is Great for Stacking Bleed / LOH since it can't be killed

the QUEEN procs cc. the other runes for spiders don't (except for jar impact). and assuming you have the mana, other spells are better for bleed/LoH... (ie: acid rain can't be killed either).. the low proc rate on spider isn't impressive. i used it for a while and was underwhemed.

08/06/2012 07:20 AMPosted by BaRaBBa
i'm not of the same opinion of the inheritance of LoH on pets: I saw my dogs health's flicker up and down fast without health regeneration and fiercy loyalty, I had in that moment only LoH...and at the level 40 they can't regenerate so fast without that passive, i think...

it's hard to gauge dog's HP with multiple dogs out... what you see is not necessarily accurate, since different dogs have different HP at any given time... if you really had no health globes or hp regen, then i'd say you should test this again to make sure you're not just seeing a dog die in combat.

08/07/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Tamachii
You just forgot to mention that pet damage isn't reflected back at them but at you... that sucks... you can't get LoH from pets but reflect dmg will reflect the dmg back to you

Your character receives the LoH from the pet. i'd rather take the reflect myself than let my pets take those hits... so really, this is a positive thing.

Just wondering how you guys are valuing your stat points at the moment.

For hard stats I'm using:

1 Intelligence = 1.2 Vitality as I am trying to cut down vitality while still upgrading
7 Armor = 1 Res All as I am currently over skewed towards resistance

But for vague stats like Life Regen, Freeze or stun I just tend to have hard floors
Life Regen cannot dip below 1500 in total, would like 2200
Freeze cannot go below 4% on Belt, would like 4.5%
Stun cannot go below 4% on Gloves, would like 4.5%

Not sure whether a stat excel worksheet would be useful for us given the sheer amount of interchangeable stats we can have.

there simply are not enough upgrades for me to be comparing point by point... i just went with hard floors...
Edited by Terihlon#1660 on 8/7/2012 10:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just wondering how you guys are valuing your stat points at the moment.

For hard stats I'm using:

1 Intelligence = 1.2 Vitality as I am trying to cut down vitality while still upgrading
7 Armor = 1 Res All as I am currently over skewed towards resistance

But for vague stats like Life Regen, Freeze or stun I just tend to have hard floors
Life Regen cannot dip below 1500 in total, would like 2200
Freeze cannot go below 4% on Belt, would like 4.5%
Stun cannot go below 4% on Gloves, would like 4.5%

Not sure whether a stat excel worksheet would be useful for us given the sheer amount of interchangeable stats we can have.

After a month of playing my WD with pets, I feel like 5,500 armor and 800-850 resist all are fine enough for myself and my pets in term of defence. The very important thing to keep my pets live longer now is "Life Generation".

Last night I played with my friend's monk in act 2. Wearing my fighting gears, my life gen reaches 3,000/sec (without mantra of regeneration from my friend) and you know what, my zombie dogs can hold elite/champion packs with all kinds of affixes or even take poison bullets from the bees!!

They do die in a tough combat but they can tank very effectively.

My dream stat valuing:

1 int = 0.7 vit --> like to have more DPS to kill elite/champion packs faster while my pets hold their attacks. 800 LoH + Spirit Walk are good enough for me to keep me safe.

7 armor = 1 all resist --> approximately 70-74% damage reduction from resistances and around 65% damage reduction from armor satisfy me. See no point to stack higher than these values.

Stun+Freeze+Fear+Knockback > 14% --> to tank trash mobs with ease and interrupt 1-shot-kill attack from some kinds of monsters. Reduce chances of elite mobs using frozen orbs, plague pools and etc.

Life Generation 3,300/sec --> Key point for my pet's surviability. As long as your pets alive, they can heavily cc, do some serious bleed damage, and yield LoH for you. However; it will be very costly to find gears with all-in-one stats (eg. All resist+ Vit+ Int+ Life gen+ CC).

For fun, I have made a short video of pets killing the butcher with bleed damage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oNJnYLLmCE&feature=plcp
Edited by sacredation#1405 on 8/7/2012 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@weesheng: Rakanoth sucks. Until I recently upgraged gear, it took like 15 tries to get through, basically I figured out his charge animation and was able to throw up spirit walk each time, then prayed while trying to stun him while it's on cooldown. Ive found since that while pets are up he doesn't do it, so when they're out there, do everything you can to keep them alive, and alternate Garg/Dogs so you're more likely to have coverage. Spirit Vessel is another potential option to save a couple deaths. Also, I use the "Diablo 3 EHP Calculator" when weighing new purchases (google it).

@Peter: Much appreciation for the guide, well-updated. I used your exact skill setup my first time killing Diablo, but I've since found Acid Rain with Slow Burn to be even better. It does 550% damage over a significant area in 6 seconds, which beats Locust Swarm. If you cast it once per 6 seconds, you can manage your mana well enough. It procs LOH/stun better than almost any skill, so it complements your equip well. Also you can still use Bad Medicine in groups if that's your thing.
Reply Quote
full a3 run with 2 pet doctors, a barb (with armor/resist shout), and a monk with dodge (would have been better to use regen IMO).. really fun..
Reply Quote
ok, so i just got a tiny spot o' cash selling a set piece (1.7 mil gp).

don't really care if i made a good sale, but i need some advice on where to start with my gear:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/capntao-1291/

bear in mind that i only need most of my dogs to survive until the cooldown expires because i sacrifice them for full mana.

i don't see anything obvious on the auction block for my primary, any ideas on a good course of action for pulling my survival rate up without destroying my damage?
Reply Quote
08/07/2012 02:18 PMPosted by Terihlon
full a3 run with 2 pet doctors, a barb (with armor/resist shout), and a monk with dodge (would have been better to use regen IMO).. really fun..

^ It was good, we will run again soon!

Just wanted to post up my act four solo clear stats and build...

Playing a pet WD using this build,http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SbYTUX!agd!bZYYcY. I used an enchantress follower with Force push, Powered armor, Erosion, and Focused mind. The CC abilities are nice, but killing packs before they killed my pets was a more pressing issue.

My stats were..
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Busch-1682/hero/2867894
38k hp
11.7k dps
5.7k armor
~975 all resist
2080 life per second
730 LoH
2500 +life globes (This little chunk helps A LOT)
7% Freeze, 4.8% stun (still looking for a good neck with blind.. Damn not being able to search it)
Two bleeds, 32.4% for 1500-3100 and 19% for 1100-1200

Edited links that weren't working properly..
Edited by Busch#1682 on 8/7/2012 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/07/2012 10:09 PMPosted by weesheng
@Busch Best Pet Doctor shield I have ever seen so far

Wow !!

Good Bleed Chance + 2.4% Chance to Freeze + 70+ AR + 160 Int, Really a very rare roll to get on a Shield
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]