Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide part 3 (old)

@PETER!!! thanks for keeping this going! how's the 15k hp? i really can't stand dipping below 30k...

also, i was quick to learn that finding a bunch of WDs for mass cc isn't going to be as good as 3 WDs and a barb for shout.

Yeah 15k is ok, thanks to high armor and resistances. I was trying really hard to make my pets survive.

@Peter: Much appreciation for the guide, well-updated. I used your exact skill setup my first time killing Diablo, but I've since found Acid Rain with Slow Burn to be even better. It does 550% damage over a significant area in 6 seconds, which beats Locust Swarm. If you cast it once per 6 seconds, you can manage your mana well enough. It procs LOH/stun better than almost any skill, so it complements your equip well. Also you can still use Bad Medicine in groups if that's your thing.

You're welcome. Though I didn't come up with the CC build, someone else did so I can't take credit for it.

My only attack spell is flaming pits. Maybe that's my problem, I try too hard to keep my pets alive and don't do enough dps.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 8/7/2012 10:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
first of all sorry for my statement of spider queen not procing stuff, its just that the chance is so low it does not even matter.

im running with rain of toads and its damage is great, would have loved to switch it to addling toads tho but there path is so random and they instantly search out the nearest wall :/ they should just bounce of. toads requires a bit more mana regen tho running with 42 atm.

wish i had more gold so i could really push up my armor to 7000+ and resist 800+ and physical over 1000.

its just sad that this build requires so many stats, all res, physical res, armor, int, life regen, vit. and on the gear you need CC effects on you will have to skip the vit.
Reply Quote
i need to try a4 again with my increased LoH... when I killed diablo the first time, i had to skip all of the champ packs... :(
Reply Quote
Congrats on Rakanoth!

I just tried to log on to Diablo 3, but the thought of getting lousy yellow drops turned me off and prevented me from logging in.
Reply Quote
Hello guys,

First of all, thanks for give me an advice on pet doctor. Really cool. I love it.

Right now I try to do hybrid build CC/VQ. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fZYTXU!ZUg!ccYYYZ

658 Min Res
1659 LpS
12.8 DPS
23K HP
5373 Armor
23.8 Dodge
5.6 Stun
3.6 Freeze
4.9 Fear
0 LoH 0 Bleed

Stun Freeze Fear can buy time for me to regenerate my health/mana.
I can fight up until Cydaea. My build/gear might not perfect, but can proceed little by little.

I have problems with cydaea with firepit build. She swarm me with her spider, and my firepit cant cover me.

My build still have problem with electric/plague/freeze/waller.

I use Honored guest because I frequently forget to use other skill. This walk save me many time.
Edited by EMPEROR#6224 on 8/8/2012 6:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Congrats on Rakanoth!

I just tried to log on to Diablo 3, but the thought of getting lousy yellow drops turned me off and prevented me from logging in.

I've barely played for about a week and a half now for this very reason. It got too annoying clearing VotA or MF running Act1 only to end up with barely any more gold than when I started and nothing worth putting on the AH. I was waiting for 1.04 to see what changes they make but they are really taking their sweet time with it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Liked again, and requested sticky again. Nice thread, many good contributors.
Reply Quote
Congrats on Rakanoth!

I've barely played for about a week and a half now for this very reason. It got too annoying clearing VotA or MF running Act1 only to end up with barely any more gold than when I started and nothing worth putting on the AH. I was waiting for 1.04 to see what changes they make but they are really taking their sweet time with it.

Yeah I'm waiting for Witch Doctor pet buffs.
Or at the very least add more search options for the AH. Even if I get over the depression of getting bad rare loot, selling on the AH is really tedious.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure Immobilize trumps stun and knockback due to monsters' lower resistance to it.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/gameplay/game-difficulty
Reply Quote
08/08/2012 01:57 PMPosted by MuadDib
I'm pretty sure Immobilize trumps stun and knockback due to monsters' lower resistance to it.

Immobilize does not stop them from attacking though.
Edited by Jasonator#1483 on 8/8/2012 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/08/2012 06:52 AMPosted by crdvis16
I was waiting for 1.04 to see what changes they make but they are really taking their sweet time with it.

Same. Crossing my fingers for them taking the buffs and doubling them.
And then doubling my incentive to play the game.
Reply Quote
Does anyone know the current threshold of Life Regen/Armor for pets to survive all champ pack affixes in Act 2 inferno? My total Life Regeneration with Blood Ritual is just above 2300 Lifer per second, and for armor you guys can check my profile. With my current set up, all my dogs die in about 6 seconds, while my gargantuan last about 30 seconds. I feel that I am close, but not quite sure if I can skip any more life regen on future upgrades and focus more on high defense/DPS.

My 2 current builds are:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#biVTUY!acg!abZYcY (Act 1 Build)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WbiTUY!acg!bZaYZY (Act 2 Build)

---------------------------------------
(feel free to add any of the below information on the front page if you find it helpful)

On a separate note, I made a LoH guide a tad late, and noticed Mr.Karisu already made a guide on this subject. ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271499223 )

If I may, I would like to add my finding as well, a 2nd cross reference if you will. I dis notice some of his % numbers were off by a bit.

With my Kymbo's Gold amy, and a ring (that i dont have equiped atm ubder my profile), my total Life on Hit was 360. The following are the heal numbers that showed up when the show health regen option is enables from the main menu. Also, most of the WD spells are Area of Effect(AoE), therefore, most skills will just list a solid number to reduce text clutter. Rest assured, if you are using a AoE skill, you gain life per enemy hit of the number given. Some attacks are are not AoE, but to hit multiple enemies, these too will be shown as 1 solid number below, but you will gain said life, per enemy hit.

(odd finding: any skill that i list that registers 120 was actually 119 the vast majority of the time, and only a few times as 120. Ill list it as 120 just to simplify it if people want to use it as %.)

Punch - 60

Poison Dart - 720
Splinters - 120 per dart. 3 total darts
Numbing Dart - 720
Spined Dart - 720
Flaming Dart - 360
Snake to the Face - 720

Corpse Spider - 0 Jar - 60
Leaping Spiders - 0 Jar - 60
Spider Queen - 108 Jar - 0 (Spider Queen gives 108 per enemy hit)
Widow Makers - 0 Jar - 60
Medusa Spiders - 0 Jar - 60
Blazing Spders - 0 Jar - 60

Plague of Toads - 240
Explosive Toads - 240
Toad of Hugeness - 0
Rain of Toads - 180 ( x4 per cast, and spell stacks. High attacks speed = more health )
Addling Toads - 240
Toad Affinity - 240

Grasp of the Dead - 60
Unbreakable Grasp - 60
Groping Eels - 60
Death is Life - 60
Desperate Grasp - 60
Rain of Corpses - 90 Corpses - 45 per enemy hit ( total of 4 corpses per cast)

Fire Bats - 60
Dire Bats - 240
Vampire Bats - 45 (not including life regen from dmg )
Plague Bats - 60
Hungry Bats - 120
Cloud of Bats - 90

Fire Bomb - 240
Flash Fire - 72
Roll the Bones - 80
Fire Pit - 240 Initial Hit + 240 AoE if enemies stand in the fire
Pyrogeist - 120 per mini fireball ( x10 per cast )
Ghost Bomb - 45

Zombie Dogs - 0
Rabid Dogs - 360 (per dog attack, not AoE)
Final Gift - 0
Life Link - 0
Burning Dogs - 360 per dog attacks + Aura - 360
Leeching Beasts - Varies by your total damage

Zombie Dog skill side notes
-Burning Dogs: Gain 360 health Aura damage per dog, per enemy hit, pretty much THE definition of OP =D. I dismissed all but 1 dog while I was at 1k health (my health was 10k w/o gear), jumped into a pack of 7 enemies, and I instantly healed the other 9k health in 2 seconds. I then went back to 1k health by taking damage, summoned 3 dogs around only 1 enemy, and I healed 1080 per tick + 720 from attacks, again maxed health to 10 in 2 seconds.

- Leeching Beast: Whenever my Dogs healed from their own attacks, they did NOT heal evenly among themselves evenly, but individually.

Sacrifice - 60
Black Blood - 60
Next of Kin - 60
Pride - 60
For the Master - 60
Provoke the Pack - 60

Haunt - 360
Consuming Spirit - 360
Resentful Spirit - 360
Lingering Spirit - 360
Grasping Spirit - 360
Draining Spirit - 360

Haunt Skill side notes: Even though this skill is Damage Over Time (DoT), you will only receive 100% of your LoH on the initial hit only, for all runes, even no rune.

Locust Swarm - 120
Pestilence - 120
Devouring Swarm - 120
Cloud of Insects - 120
Disease Swarm - 120 + Poison Cloud - 120, AoE, per enemy hit
Searing Locust - 120

Locust Swarm side notes: Even though this skill is Damage Over Time (DoT), you will only receive 100% of your LoH on the initial hit only, for all runes, even no rune.

Zombie Charger - 180
Leperous Zombie - 180 + Poison Cloud - 180, AoE, per enemy
Undeath - 180
Wave of Zombie - 30
Explosive Beast - 180
Zombie Bears - 40

Spirit Barage - 360
The Spirit is Willing - 360
Well of Souls - 120
Phantasm - 90 (Stacks)
Phlembotomize - 360
Manitou - 180 per bolt, total of 35

Acid Cloud - 360 Initial Hit (IE) + 60 AoE
Acid Rain - 288 IH + 144 AoE (ticks happen so fast 95% health registers as 288)
Lob Blob Bomb - 60 IE + 120 per slime attack
Slow Burn - 120IH + 120 AoE
Kiss of Death - 60 + 60 AoE (ticks happen so fast 95% health registers as 120)
Corpse Bomb - 120, does not stack

Wall of Zombies - 60
Barricade - 72
Unrelenting Grip - 60
Creepers - 60
Pile On - 180
Dead Rush - 120

Gargantuan - 0
Humongoid - 0
Restless Giant - 0
Wrathful Protector - 0
Big Stinker - 360
Bruiser - 0

Any skill not listed here registered NO Life on Hit.
Edited by FireZombie#1628 on 8/9/2012 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@firezombie: thanks for the input!

may i ask why you use sacrifice and no primary spammable for a1 farming? just for fun?

do you think acid rain is better than slow burn?
Reply Quote
@Terihlon:

Just for fun, i tend to switch the left mouse skill often, as well as sacrifice. All the other skills stay the same, unless I just switch to heavy DPS with no pets. Most of the time i'm playing in a group so I keep the pets to help others survive.

I love Acid Rain due to the huge area it covers, but if you are trying to save mana slow burn would be the way to go.
Reply Quote
Trying to find stuff with over 100 int, 50 vit, 50 AR, 150 regen and cc is too hard. Close to giving up I think I crashed this party too late :-(. Who the hell has 3m to spend on each piece I only have 2m total
Reply Quote
Yea this build is pretty expensive, but honestly its a lot cheaper than a barb or monk to survive in act4 inferno. I'm currently trying to find a good belt but everyone charging 4mill minimum for a nice freeze one.
Reply Quote
@FireZombie

I have tried having life regen 2,9xx/ sec with approximated 5,000 Armor and 700 resist all to fight with elite/champ packs in act2 and my dogs can live longer than 6 seconds without using any support abilities.

They can stand longer in plague pools, firepits and taking more electricfied bolts from elite/champ mobs. However; they still die if you don't care to save them.
Reply Quote
FireZombie, you can create your own thread and I'll link your findings in this thread, as cross reference.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]