Diablo® III

Path of exile

OK, so there has been a lot of hype around this game, but i dont really think that it is that good. Fisrtly, the viewing angle is to steep, minor yes but annoying.

Secondly, the ridiculous skill tree, call me a casual gamer if you like but that thing looks like a mess, I like diablos skill tree, simple for casual people yet pwerful if you use it correctly.

Finally, Path of exile just looks like an absolute clone, i mean can blizzard sue for that, it just looks to similar to be considered a different game. Even if it is not to similar compared to d3 it must be when compared to d2.

Anyway, thats just my opinion, hope you enjoyed.
Reply Quote
2 cents ftw
Reply Quote
half a cent
Reply Quote
08/04/2012 10:26 PMPosted by LSU
Have they added pvp yet. I played path of exile for about 10 month but I eventually quit because I was bored.

You played the beta, not surprised you got bored

@OP I thought everything you did at first, and then I played it and realized that they did Blizzard's job. They made something closer to what Diablo 3 should have been than Blizzard did.
Edited by Gangletox#1371 on 8/4/2012 10:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
OK, so there has been a lot of hype around this game, but i dont really think that it is that good. Fisrtly, the viewing angle is to steep, minor yes but annoying.

Secondly, the ridiculous skill tree, call me a casual gamer if you like but that thing looks like a mess, I like diablos skill tree, simple for casual people yet pwerful if you use it correctly.

Finally, Path of exile just looks like an absolute clone, i mean can blizzard sue for that, it just looks to similar to be considered a different game. Even if it is not to similar compared to d3 it must be when compared to d2.

The zoom is slider adjustable in PoE, unlike D3 where it's either in or out.
The passives skill (forest) is simple. But unlike D3, you have to think ahead about how you want to build your character... thinking.. Oh.. My... God.

PoE doesn't have a forced story line and forced cut scenes. PoE DOES have characters (OMG!) and and environment (OMG2!).. so clearly it's an exact clone of D3... except much more fun to play.

They really do need to fix the viewing angle. You should be able to get a more horizontal view without zooming in further.
Reply Quote
Free to Play game. Still in beta. Indie developer.

Give credit where credit is due. With their budget and extremely limited staff, they've made an outstanding product. The game is rather clunky and has some holes for sure, but those will get worked out in time.

The big difference that people constantly overlook when comparing PoE to either Diablo III or Diablo II is that the game is absolutely, one hundred percent free. You can pick it up, hate it and drop it, come back to it two months later, enjoy the changes for a few weeks, drop it again, so on and so forth. Diablo III charges a $60 entry fee for that privilege and Blizzard is not working nearly as hard as Grinding Gear Games is to make their game better.

So yeah. Hate the game if you want, that's totally fine. But at least give the guys credit for; A) Putting in some intriguing and/or enjoyable systems/mechanics(the skill tree and crafting, to name two), and B) Continuing to work their tails off while maintaining excellent levels of communication and transparency with their fans.
Reply Quote
Wrong Forum - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/307

- Tobby :)
Reply Quote

To each his own, personally I prefer the harder to master type of games, and I think that a sizable chunk of Diablo fans are really missing that in the latest installment. That said, I was able to build a viable melee character on first try, it was not uber powerful or very creative, but it worked.

Sure, certainly the connection to D2 is obvious. But I find it to be a natural evolution of the genre with some really neat innovations. The D2 team is gone, D3 was made by completely different people under same corporate umbrella, so same criticism can be made of D3.

08/04/2012 10:22 PMPosted by Shenaenae

Your criticism seems fairly mild and basically comes down to small preferences and the learning curve. If you are judging by videos, try and play it once it hits the free open beta, its not as complicated as you think it is, and is actually innovative in some small ways.
Reply Quote

Give credit where credit is due. With their budget and extremely limited staff, they've made an outstanding product. The game is rather clunky and has some holes for sure, but those will get worked out in time.

The big difference that people constantly overlook when comparing PoE to either Diablo III or Diablo II is that the game is absolutely, one hundred percent free. You can pick it up, hate it and drop it, come back to it two months later, enjoy the changes for a few weeks, drop it again, so on and so forth. Diablo III charges a $60 entry fee for that privilege and Blizzard is not working nearly as hard as Grinding Gear Games is to make their game better.

So yeah. Hate the game if you want, that's totally fine. But at least give the guys credit for; A) Putting in some intriguing and/or enjoyable systems/mechanics(the skill tree and crafting, to name two), and B) Continuing to work their tails off while maintaining excellent levels of communication and transparency with their fans.

Truth!
Reply Quote

Truth!

I got a beta key for POE last year and played it quite a bit while waiting for DIII to release.

I loathe the passive skill tree, it really is simply add 10 str here, 10 int there, get to some decent +dmg, then pick the next path. The fact that a poster upthread was able to build a viable character w/o paying attention points out how useless it really is to make it so complicated and intimidating to some folks.

I don't like the viewpoint either, it is a bit too sharp.

Combat is a bit clunky imho, and the monsters aren't inspired; just the same old there (like DIII too I suppose for trash mobs)

I miss gold, but they will have it eventually. I like the orb and gem system they implemented; it is kind of fun to chain effects. The orbs you can use to reroll items, upgrade to rare, or add sockets, etc is pretty fun as well.

All in all, I liked POE but DIII is still far superior in my opinion. One of the patches thye put out reset the passive tree. I looked at all those points I had to map out again and just said no; I haven't tried it again for many months now.

Some folks will really like POE though, but I am not one of them.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 01:18 PMPosted by DudleyDR
I miss gold, but they will have it eventually.

Incorrect. This wont happen ever.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
I miss gold, but they will have it eventually.

Incorrect. This wont happen ever.

Cheers.

(edit: logged onto my account over there and looked up the dev diary on this)

I see they did change their minds. Oh well; I can see why they did that in the dev diary about item trading, and why they decided against gold. Much of it makes very good sense.
Edited by DudleyDR#1613 on 12/6/2012 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote

Truth!

I got a beta key for POE last year and played it quite a bit while waiting for DIII to release.

I loathe the passive skill tree, it really is simply add 10 str here, 10 int there, get to some decent +dmg, then pick the next path. The fact that a poster upthread was able to build a viable character w/o paying attention points out how useless it really is to make it so complicated and intimidating to some folks.

I don't like the viewpoint either, it is a bit too sharp.

Combat is a bit clunky imho, and the monsters aren't inspired; just the same old there (like DIII too I suppose for trash mobs)

I miss gold, but they will have it eventually. I like the orb and gem system they implemented; it is kind of fun to chain effects. The orbs you can use to reroll items, upgrade to rare, or add sockets, etc is pretty fun as well.

All in all, I liked POE but DIII is still far superior in my opinion. One of the patches thye put out reset the passive tree. I looked at all those points I had to map out again and just said no; I haven't tried it again for many months now.

Some folks will really like POE though, but I am not one of them.

As someone who has been in the beta since before D3 was released, I can say alot has changed since then. Just to name a few things:
-Better and improved monster and minion AI
-Unique items have been added, such as unique gloves that boosts your unarmed damage.
-more skill gems
-revamping of the passive tree layout
-the sixth class was added
-some lore was added
-voice acting for most characters was added
-act 2 boss was added

Overall the game has gotten alot better and has been steadily improving. While you might not like the game, please note that they have made alot of changes as well and it could be different from what you remember.
Reply Quote

If you take the time to give it a chance then its likely that you will eventually not mind that its like that. I don't even notice it anymore and its basically never brought up in the forums at all. The devs can't change it for technical reasons.

D3 doesn't really have a skill tree. The game hands you skills as you level so everyone of the same class is exactly the same. From an RPG perspective this isn't interesting at all. I'm not knocking you for likeing D3 but don't knock other games that are more complex just because they are complex. Complexity is a lot of fun, you should try it sometime.

Path of Exile was inspired by Diablo but they did not steal anything, that is absolutely ridiculous. You think that any game that has graphics somewhat similar to D2 is a clone????
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]