Diablo® III

Plots for Expansions, Post and Critique!

Before reading, know that this is my opinion. I encourage you give your own ideas as well as find continuity, plot holes and things you believe should be changed in mine. Enjoy!

So hear me out. I predict there will be two diablo 3 expansions (or possibly one obscenely long one). The way I see it, there are 4 loose ends to diablo 3 : Adria is missing, Black Soulstone was carelessly thrown off a cliff, Imperius hates humanity, Malthael is still missing. Here's how I think it goes.

In the aftermath of Diablo 3, your hero is looking for a way to revive Leah or restore her soul or something, so you set out for the only thing you know is linked to her: The Black Soulstone. After act 4, I don't know where it fell, but I assume it was Pandamoneum, the area between heaven and hell. So in act 5, you go through the world looking for a way to access pandamoneum, and when you finally find it, Adria pops out and is like "You led me to the last source of Evil in the universe HAHAHAHAHAHA so she runs in ahead of you after summoning demons and shiet. So after going in, you realize that the demons that are still in hell are trying to bring the Evils back alongside Adria, so you must fight your way to where the Soultone is sitting. So you eventually find it, but Adria is there opening it. She transforms into a demonic form she developed from being in contact with the stone and you fight and kill her, but she's like "It's too late! I've already opened it. BWAHAHAHAHA!" So now you do some crazy Uber Tristram style battle where you kill the evils in pandemoneum. It'll be Andariel and Duriel in the first room, then Azmodan and Belial in the second room, then finally you do a room where you must consecutively battle Mephisto and Baal (Diablo too, but he may be dead from the act 4, not sure how it works). You beat them and you've defeated all evil in the universe forever... Or so you think.

Act 6: Starts with the Angiris council discussing stuff about their treaty with the humans or something, and Imperius leaves cause he still hates humanity. He goes off somewhere and starts breaking stuff out of anger or something, when suddenly he hears a bone chilling "It's been a while, Imperius". Malthael reveals himself to Imperius and Imperius is like "WTF YOU'RE ALIVE" and he's like "yeah, I look more evil and badass too. I know why you are restless. Why you feel this wrath. The imbalance; The imbalance of the nephalem. They haven't entirely unlocked it again yet, but they are still too dangerous for our kind. They are the creations of heaven and hell, they may have good qualities but are inherintly greedy and will try to destroy our kind." Imperius is like "!@#$ dude, what can we do about it" Malthael gets a badass monologue and is like: "Since I have lost the name of wisdom, I would like to think I now stand as the Archangel of Balance. In other worlds in the universe, though, I've been called the Archangel of Death, because there can be no light without dark, no north without south, no life without death. We must eradicate humanity." And that's how act 6 starts.

Just when you think there's peace, Imperius and Malthael do something like unlock the dormant armies of hell and declare war upon humanity and heaven. This act works like act 3 maybe, and starts with hell invading Sanctuary, but as your hero defeats them, you push them back into hell, where is where you go to to finish them off. In a final epic battle, Malthael kills Ithereal (fate lies shattered forever) and Imperius is like "woah, we're going against the nephalem, not angels" and Malthael is like "they sided with the humans, they decided their fate". Imperius starts to have regrets and stuff. You are fighting Malthael, and as you're fighting him, part of his battle will be he stuns everyone and ais about to kill them all, when imperius turns on malthael. Malthael kills hims too, but not before he is weakened. Your hero then kills Malthael and is overcome with nephalem energy. Your hero becomes so powerful, you decide to sacrifice yourself like Uldyssian so that you may return the universe to balance and peace, and maybe you see Leah's spirit or something and she welcomes you to death. And they all lived happily ever after.

Again, tell me what you think and leave your won ideas below. Who knows, maybe Chris Metzen will read this (one can hope :D ).
Reply Quote
08/03/2012 12:40 PMPosted by Kairamon
In the aftermath of Diablo 3, your hero is looking for a way to revive Leah or restore her soul or something, so you set out for the only thing you know is linked to her: The Black Soulstone. After act 4, I don't know where it fell, but I assume it was Pandamoneum, the area between heaven and hell.
Good assumption.

So in act 5, you go through the world looking for a way to access pandamoneum, and when you finally find it, Adria pops out and is like "You led me to the last source of Evil in the universe HAHAHAHAHAHA"
From what I understand, I don't think there is much question where Pandemonium lies. Tyrael could just say "It's over there, broski."

so she runs in ahead of you after summoning demons and shiet. So after going in, you realize that the demons that are still in hell are trying to bring the Evils back alongside Adria, so you must fight your way to where the Soultone is sitting. So you eventually find it, but Adria is there opening it.
Well, Soulstones are different than eggs. "Opening it" isn't the right way to put it.

So now you do some crazy Uber Tristram style battle where you kill the evils in pandemoneum. It'll be Andariel and Duriel in the first room, then Azmodan and Belial in the second room, then finally you do a room where you must consecutively battle Mephisto and Baal (Diablo too, but he may be dead from the act 4, not sure how it works). You beat them and you've defeated all evil in the universe forever... Or so you think.
Based on what we saw in Diablo III: Wrath, when Diablo was slain on sanctuary, his soul was sent back to the Burning Hells to be reborn. As implied by the angels, it would take time for that to happen. With that in mind, I would assume a similar thing would happen to the souls if they were released from the Black Soulstone.

"Since I have lost the name of wisdom, I would like to think I now stand as the Archangel of Balance. In other worlds in the universe, though, I've been called the Archangel of Death, because there can be no light without dark, no north without south, no life without death. We must eradicate humanity." And that's how act 6 starts.
I think you're on the right track with Malthael. I too think that he will align himself with the neutral Balance and will turn "bad" as the Burning Hells has been defunct. With this decision though, you must also consider that the Priests of Rathma and Trag'Oul would probably do the same and will most likely play a large role in an expansion.

Just when you think there's peace, Imperius and Malthael do something like unlock the dormant armies of hell and declare war upon humanity and heaven. This act works like act 3 maybe, and starts with hell invading Sanctuary, but as your hero defeats them, you push them back into hell, where is where you go to to finish them off.
I question the idea of Imperius siding with Malthael, but other than that this seems realistic. I'm not sure this is the way that things will happen, but it's realistic.

In a final epic battle, Malthael kills Ithereal (fate lies shattered forever) and Imperius is like "woah, we're going against the nephalem, not angels" and Malthael is like "they sided with the humans, they decided their fate".
Remember that Malthael would be dedicated to the Balance. He would not be fighting angels because they side with the humans, but because he has to.

Your hero then kills Malthael and is overcome with nephalem energy. Your hero becomes so powerful, you decide to sacrifice yourself like Uldyssian so that you may return the universe to balance and peace, and maybe you see Leah's spirit or something and she welcomes you to death. And they all lived happily ever after.
I'm not sure how powerful our heroes are compared to Uldyssian, but it is important not to underestimate his power. He is perhaps the most powerful being in all of existence. This also closes the door on Diablo 3, which probably won't happen after only 2 expansions!
Reply Quote
08/03/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Chris
From what I understand, I don't think there is much question where Pandemonium lies. Tyrael could just say "It's over there, broski."

Maybe I thought Tyreal would be busy or something when I wrote this, but good point. I assume the exploring would be in pandemoneum then, seeing as you can't have an act without exploring.

Well, Soulstones are different than eggs. "Opening it" isn't the right way to put it.

Thanks, better phrasing would be "releasing it's power".

Based on what we saw in Diablo III: Wrath, when Diablo was slain on sanctuary, his soul was sent back to the Burning Hells to be reborn. As implied by the angels, it would take time for that to happen. With that in mind, I would assume a similar thing would happen to the souls if they were released from the Black Soulstone.

I know he would have been reborn, but I thought perhaps heaven was too far from hell to have it be reborn. Had they not thrown him back into pandamoneum, a place that has lots of hell's influence from over the eternal conflict he probably wouldn't be reborn, but thanks. :D

I think you're on the right track with Malthael. I too think that he will align himself with the neutral Balance and will turn "bad" as the Burning Hells has been defunct. With this decision though, you must also consider that the Priests of Rathma and Trag'Oul would probably do the same and will most likely play a large role in an expansion.

Trag'Oul would be a great inclusion due to his wish, as seen in the Sin Wars, that humanity be free from heaven and hell's influence, and seeing as he isn't dead, just "gone" like Malthael was, that's highly likely. Rathma's priests on the other hand could help seeing as they have necromantic knowledge to revive Leah or to go against Malthael.
Reply Quote
I question the idea of Imperius siding with Malthael, but other than that this seems realistic. I'm not sure this is the way that things will happen, but it's realistic.

It sounded weird to me to writing it, but I do believe he will have some kind of role as Wrath instead of Valor, and possibly a character change as I mentioned later, but yeah, siding with Malthael would be strange.

Remember that Malthael would be dedicated to the Balance. He would not be fighting angels because they side with the humans, but because he has to.

That's true, but maybe his disappearance warped his sense of balance. From the prophecy, it's clear that he is death, and maybe his sense of balance is eradicating life, because just heaven left would be in his eyes not balanced. I could be wrong, but who knows, I do like the idea of him not wanting to kill any angels but convincing himself it's the only way.

I'm not sure how powerful our heroes are compared to Uldyssian, but it is important not to underestimate his power. He is perhaps the most powerful being in all of existence. This also closes the door on Diablo 3, which probably won't happen after only 2 expansions!

Well, following the story I've woven, our hero will have defeated Azmodan, Belial and Diablo twice along with Baal, Mephisto, Andariel, Duriel, Malthael, and hundreds of thousands of demons. If the whole uber tristram style all star boss battle doesn't happen, that's still 3 lords of hell and a corrupt angel, so I wouldn't rule out having power similar to Uldyssian.

On a final note, how would anyone else add onto the story from here? I'm intrigued now... :)
Reply Quote
hahaha nice post :3

Also i want to let u know that Inarius is not dead, is somewhere in Hell, kept prisioner. So he could also play a role later.
Edited by Mk07#1228 on 8/4/2012 8:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
hahaha nice post :3

Also i want to let u know that Inarius is not dead, is somewhere in Hell, kept prisioner. So he could also play a role later.

I swear I thought he was executed, but I looked it up and I think you're right! Adding on to that, it is said that Lilith was banished again, but she returned the first time, so who's to say she won't do it again?
Reply Quote
EPIC! the end.
Reply Quote
Something I thought woulkd have been awesome is I've always wanted to fight a Bad-!@# angel, and was kinda sad when Diablo was hijinxed into the game and stole our opportunity to battle Imperious.

What I reckon would be sweet is if at the end of act 3 when you kill Azmodan, the rest of the Angiris council show up to speak with Tyreal about the fact that since it was Tyreals vote that prevented sanctuary from being destroyed last time and he is no longer a part of heaven, along with the fact that hell is now defunct with no rulers, Imperious no longer feels he needs to honor the pact they had with hell (the whole "no interference" business), hes marshaled the heavenly host and is also now marching on sanctuary with the intent of wiping out humanity before we all go god mode and nephalem up.

So Act 4 begins in an unammed city where a gate to heaven has been opened by Imperious, and (Much more quickly than the act 3 battle, as the siege hasn't started yet) you march on through and fight against various angels and other engines of heavenly war until you reach the diamond gates and proceed through heaven much like normal act 4, but you see a lot more of what heaven has to offer such as the library of fate and the gardens of hope, then through the silver spire into the auditorium of justice (Tyreals seat of power, I cant remember its real name atm), and finally to the halls of Valor where you face off against and kill Imperious. In the final cinematic, as he is dying, he fully completes his transition into wrath and as he dies, he shatters Leahs mind which prevents her from controlling the black soulstone, which in turn splits open and release 2 demons, the lesser and the prime evil. They then start ripping it up in heaven, and without imperious to fight them and lead the heavenly host, and you being fairly worn out by the battle with Imperious, they go on to work a number on heaven, leaving it in smouldering ruin while you escape with Tyreal and Leah (Whos not real helpful at this stage, as she no longer has a mind), while the rest of the council stays to attempt to fight of the evils.

This would open up the possibility of 3 new expansion packs, with act 5 taking place in hell where you hunt down the lesser evils (Duriel, Andariel, Belial and Azmodan in one) diablo 2 style and kill them for good. Act 6 would then take place in pandemonium, where the Prime evil has taken control of the Pandemonium fortress and the Worldstone (Refer to last blizcons D3 lore panel where ol' mentzen says that Tyreal didn't actually destroy the worldstone, blah blah its back in pandemonium), so you fight your way across the fields of pandemonium up the the fortress itself, and then into the actual worldstone chamber. This would give us a chance to see alot of what they spoke about on the lore panel as to how the fortress has changed and taken on aspects of both heaven and hell over the years due to each side holding it and whatnot, and see alot more of the actual worldstone and its own features.

After you kill The Prime Evil, sanctuary is safe as bot heaven and hells powers have been pretty well neutralized, with Maltheal being the only archangel left, and he is no longer in heaven, and the rest of the ruling council being killed by the lords of hell when heaven was worked over. From what blizzard has said though, neither side really stays down for long, and Im sure they could find a way to bring them all back if they felt like milking the cow some more.

An Act 7 could consist of something along the lines of Matheal rocking up, maybe take place in Ureh, since we have seen that in some early trailers. But I havnt though that one through.

I think the hell slog in Act 5, and the assault on the worldstone in Act 6 would help bring back some of that nostalgia people seem to have about Diablo 2, while adding a fresh spin on it. Also means we would get to have the huge, intimidating diablo we saw in the original trailer instead of fembot diablo in Act 4.
Reply Quote
Kind of a long read, mine's in story form:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5760137530
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6293490043
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]