Diablo® III

Oculus Rift and future Blizzard titles

So I'm sure that most of you are aware of what the Oculus Rift is since it made it to E3 but if you don't you should definitely check it out

http://oculusvr.com/

Virtual reality is finally here and will be huge within a year. With the really big names that are backing it you can be pretty sure it isn't just hype and that VR will be a thing that everyone has some sort of access to soon. Even the creators of the Unreal engine are supporting this. That's huge! Especially with Unreal 4 on the way. Can probably bet on some of the new consoles having some sort of compatibility with it as well.

I hope that Blizzard looks at this new piece of revolutionary hardware with an open mind. Can you imagine an MMO with VR (Project Titan?) I would be so stoked if they consider it. I doesn't even need to be a full VR title. It could just be an optional feature that you could chose to play between a monitor or Oculus.

To me the news of virtual reality making a big breakthrough is truly inspiring. It opens many possibility's of new ways to interact with game's and with people in the virtual world. We have been waiting for so long for it to be done right, I'm so excited to see how it evolves!
Reply Quote
sorry bud i already had a virtual boy
Reply Quote
Virtual Boy will never fail.
Reply Quote
Oh dude, it's way beyond that now. It's total immersion on the visual level.
Reply Quote
300 bucks gets you a devkit now--however it still needs some FOV/latency/resolution tuning. I am glad to see them doing well with the kickstart and highly recommend people supporting them.
Reply Quote
inb4 all development turns into por­n.
Edited by Bodach#1471 on 8/9/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You intend to destroy the Rift Oculus? You will not succeed!
Reply Quote
Oh definitely. They did say though that the Devkits should't be used by the average person unless your Sir Haxolot. They are at 1,521,477$ and climbing. Pretty funny that they only had a $250,000 goal. That shatters it.
Reply Quote
I am not looking at incorporating Diablo into it but I do think Blizzard has some good ideas when it comes to entertainment. Despite whatever criticism you have about the present situation, it won't get any better without looking to a positive future. I think they could do it and I think they would find a way to do it right.
Reply Quote
lol, look at all those prices! It's like I AM the auction house!
Reply Quote
Obviously would be hard to bring ARPG's into it and would appeal to the first person aspect the most but you never know, someone might be creative enough to find a way that would work to bring more types of games into the picture.
Reply Quote
08/09/2012 12:39 PMPosted by Krix
Virtual reality is finally here and will be huge within a year.

Virtual reality has been 'Here!' and 'Gonna be huge!' since the '80s. There used to be a VR game you could play at one of the big arcades that used to be in London. By the '90s there was a full-blown RPG you could play at a different arcade, complete with sword fighting and exploration, where you could play one of three character archetypes. It's always short-lived.

I long since stopped holding my breath and waiting for it to really take off. Too many false starts.
Reply Quote
08/09/2012 01:15 PMPosted by ReLiC
Virtual reality is finally here and will be huge within a year.

Virtual reality has been 'Here!' and 'Gonna be huge!' since the '80s. There used to be a VR game you could play at one of the big arcades that used to be in London. By the '90s there was a full-blown RPG you could play at a different arcade, complete with sword fighting and exploration, where you could play one of three character archetypes. It's always short-lived.

I long since stopped holding my breath and waiting for it to really take off. Too many false starts.

That was in an arcade, this is affordable technology anyone can get. It's a much greater step to for it to become mainstream. This shows much more promise.
Reply Quote
It looks promising compared to many attempts at VR but I'll have to wait and see. I know an indie dev looking into incorporating it into his game so I think it could be fun if it meets the advertised goals. Overall I'm still a bit disappointed with the 110 degree viewing angle which still feels a bit underwhelming with modern technology but I suppose they have to keep costs down somehow. If it takes off maybe someone will come along and make a 200+ degree OLED display version.
Reply Quote
08/09/2012 01:32 PMPosted by steveman0
If it takes off maybe someone will come along and make a 200+ degree OLED display version.

That is what I am hoping. The technology is there and it is definitely groundbreaking. You can bet that it wont be the only version. We have plenty of room to grow.
Reply Quote
i've been following this for a little while now. it looks very promising though as with all tech never get the first generation of anything. wait until the second or third generation. by then they usually have the bugs ironed out.
Reply Quote
Blizzard please incorporate this into your future games.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]