Diablo® III

Are there canon genders for each class?

Unofficially, many people assume that the barbarian, monk, and witch doctor are male, and that the demon hunter and wizard are female. I've even heard people specifically say that these are the canon gender assignments, but I doubt it. Does anyone know of any official literature on this subject?
Reply Quote
The demon hunter and wizard's canon gender are both female. This is confirmed by the classes' short stories, "Discipline and Hatred" and "Firefly."

The monk's short story, "Unyielding," specifically points out that a different Monk than the main character was sent to Tristram. Considering that Ivgorod seems to be fairly Patriarchal, I assume that the Monk hero's canon gender is male.

The Barbarian is male in Diablo II so it is natural to assume that the male is canon in Diablo III. That said it is unspecified.

The Witch Doctor is also unspecified, but you're right to point out that the assumption is that the male is canon.
Reply Quote
I don't see how you could call any of the genders "canon". There's absolutely nothing in the game that specifically happens to any gender so I think it would be fanwanking to dismiss any of the 10 characters.
Reply Quote
Chris, where did you find these short stories?
Reply Quote
Actually, I just looked up those stories, and they look like fan fiction.
Reply Quote
What is Canon, is what the creator writes, Creator=Blizzard
Reply Quote
I'm sticking with all Female characters from now on. Going with fem barb next...HAWT.
Reply Quote
My first question is, were those stories written by Blizzard? Secondly, we're they official statements as to the canon genders for each class?
Reply Quote
I mean, the stories don't say "Author: Blizzard," but yes they were written under Blizzard's supervision. I'm not sure where you found them, but the fact that they are found under the class guide section as well as the sticky at the top of this board should pretty much give it away.
Edited by Chris#1235 on 8/13/2012 9:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Those short stories give specific names, so if we're going to assume that their gender assignments are canon, then we'd need to assume that their names are too. Are those stories official statements on the genders of each class, or are they just fun stories? Is there any way to get a definitive response from Blizzard on this?
Reply Quote
View profile
08/14/2012 07:20 AMPosted by Starblazer
Those short stories give specific names, so if we're going to assume that their gender assignments are canon, then we'd need to assume that their names are too. Are those stories official statements on the genders of each class, or are they just fun stories? Is there any way to get a definitive response from Blizzard on this?

they are just 1 of each class. not the entire class.

and i would assume that:
wiz-female
barb-male
wd-male
dh-female
monk-male
Reply Quote
08/14/2012 07:20 AMPosted by Starblazer
Yes, the names are too. They're not just fun stories, they're canon.
Reply Quote
I assumed gender for the characters based off of the teaser movies they released for the various classes before D3 was released. The Wizard in the movie was female, as well as the DH and the Monk was male etc.... I don't remember a teaser movie for a barbarian or WD though...?
Reply Quote
Chris, do you have an official statement from Blizzard on this?
Reply Quote
The official-est of official statements I can show you is this.

http://www.diablofans.com/blizz-tracker/topic/232551-d2-sorc-didnt-teach-d3-wizard-frozen-orb/

But I really don't know why you're questioning this, so. Again, it's published by Blizzard here on Diablo3.com
Reply Quote
If you watch the class videos, it specifies what gender they are
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Class videos specify the "canon" genders; they talk about "he" or "she" in regards to the character in question, and as it is consistent throughout the videos, I believe those are the "canon" genders. I haven't read the short stories yet (working on it!) but I hear they have some of the genders specified.

Link to videos on D3 website:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/videos/#/1

Link to short stories on D3 Forum:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662477772
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]