Diablo® III

Patch loop Issues & Fixes (Round 2)

All servers are now online, however if you are still having the patch loop it means you have the wrong client which is the enSG client, we need the enUS client. I have reported to blizz the errors with the enSG patch server and it will be looked at, for now please see the fixes below.

What is this patch loop?
The patch loop is when your downloader downloads the new patch, but when you try to login to the game it prompts you that there is a patch avalible and please restart to download the patch.

What causes the patch loop?
The patch loop is caused by having the wrong client for your server installed, if you are playing on the Americas server it its normal client is the enUS, while other servers clients can connect to that server the wrong client will point to a different patch server, Asia needs the Asian client, EU needs enEU etc.

The patch loop can also occur if you have the enUS client but play on Asia/EU if there servers have not been updated yet or are still down for maintenance, remember all 3 regions do not have mainteniance at the same time, EU and Asia is after the US.

How do I tell which version of the client I have installed?
Go too C:\Games\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs there will be a folder in there called en** (example enUS) this is your client, note that if you changed the default install location when you installed the game it will be different.

I bought the game in Australia/New Zealand and installed it so it should be the right client
This is true however I've found out that allot of stores sold 'grey import' copies of the game bought from Asia etc which while they work on any server the client they come with may not be the right client for your server.

I bought the game direct from blizzard and downloaded the client, clearly that should be the right client
Again an easy mistake, blizzard has a default client download, you have to manually change the download to the right client.

Well how do I get the right client then?
There is 2 options for you either:
Just go to battle.net and login to your account, on the summery page you will see Diablo 3, click it and go to Install/Re-Install the client. It will then bring you to the download page where you may have to verify your date of birth to access the Diablo download.

Now for the important bit, look here: http://users.on.net/~link22/Diablo/loop01.jpg click this to bring up your download options http://users.on.net/~link22/Diablo/loop02.jpg and select the client for your server(enUS for Americas, enEU for EU, Asia for Asia) then press save and then download the client.

Uninstall your old client and install the newly downloaded client and you will not see the patch loop again.

The other option is to change your client patch links so that it now connects to the US, this is done by(Mac users see the bottom of this post:

1. Open the file C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\agent.db (in wordpad)
2. Change all references of http://enSG.patch.battle.net:1119/patch to http://enUS.patch.battle.net:1119/patch (there will be 3, then save and close)
3. Run game client

How do I Uninstall my old client?
In windows 7 simply go to My Computer then up the top press 'Uninstall or change a program' find diablo 3 in the list and hit 'Uninstall/Change'

If you are having this issue on a Mac and want to change the agent.db file please follow these instructions:

1. Open Terminal.

2. On Terminal, navigate to your Diablo III folder by typing the following:
cd "/Applications/Diablo III"
(If you did not install it on the default location, type the correct path.)

3. Make a backup copy of the original .agent.db file first. On terminal, type:
cp .agent.db dotAgent.db.bak

4. Still on Terminal, type the following command to open .agent.db on TextEdit:
open -a TextEdit .agent.db

5. find the "patch_url" line and change its value to:
http://enUS.patch.battle.net:1119/patch
Obs: Do not remove any of the quotes or comas. Change the patch_url and nothing else.

6. Save and close the file. (If asked to unlock the file, do it.)

7. Now go in the Battle.net folder: (Using Finder. You don'tt need to use terminal anymore)
/Users/Shared/Battle.net

8. Once inside the Battle.net folder, select and move the Agent folder to trash. (don't skip this step)

9. Start the Launcher.
Edited by Narull#6634 on 8/23/2012 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice one, Narull.

Foresight and eloquence.

Why isn't your text green yet?
Reply Quote
sorry, i couldn't really understand the thread you redirected me to. Pretend that i am in Adelaide, how long until I should be able to play on the Au/NZ?
Edited by badatthis#6852 on 8/21/2012 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/21/2012 02:33 PMPosted by badatthis
sorry, i couldn't really understand the thread you redirected me to. Pretend that i am in Adelaide, how long until I should be able to play on the Au/NZ?

It depends which client and server you play on mate, which part don't you understand? There is a guide on how to check your client in the OP of this thread.
Reply Quote
08/21/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Narull
It depends which client and server you play on mate, which part don't you understand? There is a guide on how to check your client in the OP of this thread.

yeah, my client is the enSG, Americas server, and for the past half hour i was trying to get it to work, but i think i'm still stuck with the 1.0.3.10485
I was confused most about the time zones, and was hoping that if i just waited long enough it would work
Edited by badatthis#6852 on 8/21/2012 2:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You're a ledge mate. This sorted it for me last time. Hopefully when I get home it'll just work this time but if not at least I know I'll be able to fix it.

Cheers again and Blizz should really sort you out as an Aussie MvP already.
Reply Quote
08/21/2012 02:40 PMPosted by badatthis

yeah, my client is the enSG, Americas server, and for the past half hour i was trying to get it to work, but i think i'm still stuck with the 1.0.3.10485
I was confused most about the time zones, and was hoping that if i just waited long enough it would work

Ok mate, if your using that client then it's patch server is the Asia server which won't be up until 3:30pm Adelaide time. (Note that the US servers did come up 2 hours early so it -may- come up early but no guarantees ok)

But if you just want to wait it out then yeah that time sorry mate.
Reply Quote
I read the times to be, 8pm till 6am for brisbane servers...
Reply Quote
Ok mate, if your using that client then it's patch server is the Asia server which won't be up until 3:30pm Adelaide time. (Note that the US servers did come up 2 hours early so it -may- come up early but no guarantees ok)

But if you just want to wait it out then yeah that time sorry mate.

thanks for all your help, bro, I'll just wait it out - maybe i won't skip uni today ;)

you should be getting some greentext in the near future!
Reply Quote
08/21/2012 02:44 PMPosted by schmidty2012
I read the times to be, 8pm till 6am for brisbane servers...

Yes it was for the Americas server, which is now back online, however if your not using the enUS client then it won't work.
Reply Quote
It's a bit crazy that Blizzard still won't host servers in Australia. The cost of running servers here for 10 years wouldn't even be 1% of the profits they made from D3 from just Australian sales (pure speculation but I suspect my numbers would be fairly accurate). Not to mention ongoing revenue from Aussie RMAH transactions.
Edited by Nicko2580#1826 on 8/21/2012 2:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2. Change all references of http://enGB.patch.battle.net:1119/patch to http://enUS.patch.battle.net:1119/patch (save and close)
3. Run game client

just thought id let ya know that my Agent.db file referred to the
http://enSG.patch.battle.net:1119/patch
server. however it was still the same process, i just changed enSG to enUS
Reply Quote
I altered the agent.db file but it still didn't work, then I changed the language settings to Brazillian and then it started downloading the patch. In the past I have changed the language to Spanish to get patches to download.
Reply Quote
2. Change all references of http://enGB.patch.battle.net:1119/patch to http://enUS.patch.battle.net:1119/patch (save and close)
3. Run game client

just thought id let ya know that my Agent.db file referred to the
http://enSG.patch.battle.net:1119/patch
server. however it was still the same process, i just changed enSG to enUS

Ah yes I should have put that in, it depends on the client you have as to what it will say, I'll update my post, thanks!
Reply Quote
worked for me just fine, replacing GB to US in data base file
Reply Quote
Narull is already up for work i see..LOL UNLUCKY..serious, WTF isnt google your friend anymore people..?this is becoming a joke, its like as if everything has to be explained in baby step for some of you..!

Im reading it and im annoyed, imagine narull..!

edit - yeh, didnt think you'd be awake so i went to sleep early...couldnt contact you anyway hahahaha
Edited by AnonymousOne#6219 on 8/21/2012 3:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Narull is already up for work i see..LOL UNLUCKY..serious, WTF isnt google your friend anymore people..?this is becoming a joke, its like as if everything has to be explained in baby step for some of you..!

Im reading it and im annoyed, imagine narull..!

You assume I slept mate! been up all night =D

Nar I'm not annoyed, my irl friend who I'm on skype with atm who is having this issue and won't listen to me on how to fix it, that's annoyed me lol XD
Reply Quote
Help, i checked my server and it showed SG so i went to wordpad and changed SG to US but the game still hangs after i press the ok button to update patch. Any ideas?
Reply Quote
08/21/2012 03:53 PMPosted by oldman54
Help, i checked my server and it showed SG so i went to wordpad and changed SG to US but the game still hangs after i press the ok button to update patch. Any ideas?

Press ctrl+alt+delete and in windows task manager End the process of Agent.exe

Or reboot that will do it too.
Reply Quote
Having both PC and Mac's in the house with clients on both. The path on MAC is \Applications\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs\

On the MAC side, which files need to be changed?
Edited by HEPTA2502#6445 on 8/21/2012 4:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]