Diablo® III

The WOW vs. Guild Wars 2 Debate

100 Human Warrior
08/28/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Revan
There's no need of a "WoW killer". WoW will destroy itself, whether in 10 months or in another 10 years. In the meantime, the game will keep one of the most interesting breeds of gamers away from other games.

10 month i'm not quite sure, 10 years, mmmh k, best buy or frys have a whole deparetement dedicated on blizzard's games, there thousands of customer going in everydays, they really understood what marketing is, with MoP coming and trailers going live on big events, they can get a lot of new casual gamer. new mmorpg are like a mosquito on their !@#.
Reply Quote
There's no debate: they are both Skinner boxes with different levers.

One has better graphics and is free/month; the other has dated graphics and is $15 a month.

Good luck whoever is playing one/both of them.

/thread
Reply Quote
Another thing I dont get is, why every time a new MMO comes out everyone starts saying "Oh yea its going to kill wow" People make it seem like other MMOs come out only to kill wow rather than it just be its own game with its own player base / community. When Jack-in-the-Box, Burger king, and wendys came out did people say those were going to kill Mcdonalds? lol

The only MMO I can think of that actually tried to dethrone WoW was Rift. I say that because in their commercials it said something like "THIS ISENT AZEROTH ANYMORE" lol. As we all know Rift failed miserably.
Reply Quote
tried gw2, it s pure garbage, at least in pve that is. world versus world will bore kids quickly

no skill at all, just tumbles like noobs in gunz.
Reply Quote
View profile
tried gw2, it s pure garbage, at least in pve that is. world versus world will bore kids quickly

no skill at all, just tumbles like noobs in gunz.

Did you play during Beta only? What class and race did you play?
Reply Quote
Actually, someone murdered WoW yesterday. When the police searched WoW's house for evidence, they found a bunch of EQ's old things that WoW had stolen laying around the place.

It's rumored that GW2 is the prime suspect, but most likely it was multiple assailants. Word on the street says that SW:TOR was driving the getaway car & that the infamous crackhead "Rift" was the lookout.

Tera was arrested after reportedly attempting to cash some of WoW's checks but claimed they found them in a dumpster behind a Japanese restaurant.

The only hard evidence the police have announced is a phrase scrolled in blood on the wall next to WoW's body that read, "Kung Fu Panda?". No one is sure what this means.
Edited by NightGoat#1883 on 9/1/2012 6:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
WoW is and will probably always be the best mmo. People simply get tired of it. However, instead of realizing they are just burnt out, they make outrageous claims and cries about wow, a game they obviously played the hell out of.

WoW has the best pve AND PVP by far. People wanna believe wow's pvp is bad, but it has and almost always has been the best in the genre. Its the most skill-based, most fluid, pvp. Arenas are good, whether ppl admit it or not. Zerg-fest pvp matches get old, very old, and for some reason this is the exact direction new mmos keep trying to go, and they get old very fast.

Honestly, wow cant be beat except by burn outs. I dont even know if Blizzard themselves can ever top wow in their next mmo. Nearly everyone comes back for the xpacs, whether they admit it or not, and play 3-6 months and quit again. Its just old.

GW2 might end up being a popular game, but the pve is really bad, and the pvp so far is zerg fest skill-less crap where you cant feel like you did anything to contribute at all. That giant zerg fest type stuff works well in games like Battlefield, because its a shooter and you can make a difference. Being some nobody in a zerg fest is cool for a minute until the novelty wears off

Yep, agree 100%.

World PvP or large scale PvP -- sorry, zerg PvP -- will always be a skill-less joke, even in WoW. So to have it so prominently featured in GW2 shows major incompetence in game design.
Edited by Eigenscape#6207 on 9/1/2012 7:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Actually, someone murdered WoW yesterday. When the police searched WoW's house for evidence, they found a bunch of EQ's old things that WoW had stolen laying around the place.

It's rumored that GW2 is the prime suspect, but most likely it was multiple assailants. Word on the street says that SW:TOR was driving the getaway car & that the infamous crackhead "Rift" was the lookout.

Tera was arrested after reportedly attempting to cash some of WoW's checks but claimed they found them in a dumpster behind a Japanese restaurant.

The only hard evidence the police have announced is a phrase scrolled in blood on the wall next to WoW's body that read, "Kung Fu Panda?". No one is sure what this means.

No such thing was found, it actually read: "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, 2003".
Edited by Eigenscape#6207 on 9/1/2012 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
09/01/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Symplectic
So to have it so prominently featured in GW2 shows major incompetence in game design.

If you want to see "incompetence" look no further then Diablo 3.

Have you tried out PvP in GW2? Have you formed your own opinion?

We get it man, you don't like GW2, having probably at most played open Beta, you have something against them, I'm guessing they left the toilet seat up or something.
Reply Quote
wow has run its course I liked it when i first played it but when it got the new expansion it got really boring and hacky with the same type of quests over and over, hoping for guild wars 2 to be better
Reply Quote
09/02/2012 12:16 PMPosted by DynomiteDave
wow has run its course I liked it when i first played it but when it got the new expansion it got really boring and hacky with the same type of quests over and over, hoping for guild wars 2 to be better

That is really wow's main problem. Its just too old now. Its no that its a bad game, or went to crap, or whatever else ppl like to make up, its just that hell its 8 years old. Ppl have seen and done that same song and dance for nearly a decade.

The PvP is top-notch for a RPG or MMO, hands down. The PvE is the best also. Most of the changes or systems are fairly awesome too. I know ppl love classic, I did, but most of the stuff they added over the years made the game better, even if it doesnt seem like it. The worst part of all the changes is the dead world feeling since ppl stay in town all the time, but at the same time I remember spending hours trying to just do a 5 man, or trying to hunt down farmers or bots for Honor because I/we couldnt get a battleground group going, or there wasnt one on alliance to fight against.

Its just too old. The xpacs add about 3-4 months of life for most ppl before they quit again. Not because the game is bad, simply because theres nothing new but bigger numbers, and that old nostalgia feeling of a populated world again.

I'm not entirely sure that I agree. I mean, I agree in the sense that WoW is old and it has essentially run its course.

I'm not saying that it's a terrible game. But it's very average. I'll always remember WoW as a cultural phenomenon rather than a great game. I played it for a long time. An embarrassingly long time. But it didn't take me too much time of playing Cataclysm to ask myself "Why am I paying $15 a month for this?". Part of that was that most of my friends had left. And part of it was that I felt so under-challenged and disinterested. Oh, and eventually the gear treadmill just got to me.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
Nothing will kill WoW but Blizzard. You have MMOs who make new content with less than a million subs. The only way WoW dies is if Blizzard just says "well, it's over" and pulls the plug on all the servers.

This idiotic "there can only be one" MMO-fanboy-!@#$%^-*!@-fest pisses me off. No, GW2 is not the best game ever made. No, WoW is not untouchable.

WoW most likely won't be passed in subs by any MMO that has been announced. GW2 will compete well, ESO might compete (depending on if the community divide stays or not), but neither of them will pass in subs. Most likely Titan will have the best shot at it, and that's only because it's done by Blizz.
Reply Quote

I'm not entirely sure that I agree. I mean, I agree in the sense that WoW is old and it has essentially run its course.

I'm not saying that it's a terrible game. But it's very average. I'll always remember WoW as a cultural phenomenon rather than a great game. I played it for a long time. An embarrassingly long time. But it didn't take me too much time of playing Cataclysm to ask myself "Why am I paying $15 a month for this?". Part of that was that most of my friends had left. And part of it was that I felt so under-challenged and disinterested. Oh, and eventually the gear treadmill just got to me.

Its only average out of age. You said it best when talking about the never-ending gear treadmill. It does get old. Only thing new is usually bigger numbers. Its far and away the best mmo ever, this cant really be argued.

You make my point for me, it didnt take playing cata long before the worn out overgrinded years worth of gameplay set in for you. It happens to me every xpac lol. I play, live that nostalgia classic feel for about 3-4 months, then get bored when the new wears off. The game that was great to begin with is still there, its just we/you have had our fill after 8 years.

For the majority of people, it opened up the mmo world for them. It will always be hard to top, because every new mmo and xpac is basically the same thing, a gear treadmill social experience. This is why I think mmo's fail so frequently. They all simply dont do anything better then wow does. Therefore, why play them when all your buds and most people play wow? I honestly dont even think Titan will ever hit WoW popularity levels. It might, but Im doubting it.

Taking into consideration the competition, the time-period the game was released, and the time the game has been alive, it was and is a great game. It always trumps competition, probably still has the most players of any game outside of LoL, and pretty much defines a genre.

For me, WoW's continued success at this point boils down to one thing: accessibility. That's how it became popular and that's how it will stay popular. But I think that there is more going on than simple age to account for its decline. I played the game for roughly 6 years and change, if I account for time that I discontinued my subscription.

Something about Cataclysm turned me off so completely that I absolutely do not care that Mists is coming out. Part of that is also owed to Guild Wars 2 reeling me in. I love it there. I feel confident when I say that I'll never play WoW again.

If you're talking about popularity and commercial success (rather than game quality), then I'll certainly say that WoW is a great game. That is as far as I will go, and no further.
Reply Quote
out of 7 real life friends I knew that played WoW (all long term players - at least 3 years)

all 7 have not played it in more than a year, none of them are buying MoP

every single one of them is playing GW2

nuff said

(as a sidenote, they all played d3 also and none of them play it anymore)
Edited by nightshark#6285 on 9/2/2012 6:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I am playing both games right now and I personally prefer WoW for now. Maybe because I have not played it that long (2 years). The reason I like it better is that WoW has a nice history behind the NPCs and the different worlds. I also play PVE most of the time and PVE-wise, WoW is still superior.
However, I enjoy playing guild wars 2 as well. Simply because it has better graphics, soundtracks and detailed character design. Also, if you like PVP, you probably would love Guild Wars 2. One thing I don't like about this game is that their servers are not running as good as Blizzard. And their Technical/Customer support is really bad. During busy time, the server gets really annoying.
However, if you can afford WoW and have time, definitely play both. If money is an issue, then get Guild Wars 2, because I see a great potential in this game.
I don't think Guild Wars 2 would even come close to kill WoW BUT it will definitely kill RIFT.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]