Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

What about a shield vs. a mojo?

Based on things people have said when I get my resists up would it be better to use a mojo but since they are low now should I go back to using a shield till I get more resist?

Think I will try to completely drop the life regen on the rings in favor of int/all resist and try to find a chest with lower life regen and more resists.
Peter or others. Would love thoughts on my build out and gear as well. I have very little Regen, but don't think its been an issue do to my Thorns/LoH/AR. However, I think if I increased my Regen I could lose Jungle Fortitude and switch to Pierce the Veil for more DPS.

Does that sound solid in your experience or do you have other suggestions.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mandlbrot-1895/hero/1351016

There are many possible builds now, that you cannot go wrong with any of them.

But yeah getting more Life Regen so that you can switch something out for Pierce the Veil for more dps can work.

I recommend switching out Zombie Handler though instead of Jungle Fortitude, because Jungle Fortitude helps you as well, but Zombie Handler only helps your pets.

As for thorns, I have mixed feelings about it. I plan to test it as well, but it feels like it is only good for normal mobs. Against bosses and elites it can be lackluster.

However, it may be a cheaper form of supplemental damage than crit and attack speed.
My CC build wasn't getting it done after the patch so I switched back to a poison dart/acid cloud pet build.

Farming A3 + A4 without trouble.
Hello everyone.

Trying to keep this short.

I'm interesting in playing a pet build, leaning more towards tanking stats to keep those pets alive.

I want to boost my DPS some as well. Are there any offensive affixes that work well with a tanky pet build? Other than INT, what can I start to add to my gear selectionn that works well with dogs/garg + offensive spells? Crit? IAS? Bleed? Are thorns worthwhile? I'd still like to increase my vit / AR / and regen. Where I can, I'd like to start adding in offensive stats piece by piece.

Thanks for any info you may have!

If you mean the best dps stat for pet builds, we don't know. :P

We will need a dps meter for that.

I plan to use the thorns build, but more as an experiment to see what can be done to improve it. Thorns will probably work well against fast-hitting mobs or numerous mobs. I think it will be average against elites and bosses.
Hey, can anyone tell me if pets can proc bleeds at all now? I'm using leeching beasts and cleave garg, and I'm having a hard time spotting any bleed damage even in long fights.
What about a shield vs. a mojo?

Based on things people have said when I get my resists up would it be better to use a mojo but since they are low now should I go back to using a shield till I get more resist?

Think I will try to completely drop the life regen on the rings in favor of int/all resist and try to find a chest with lower life regen and more resists.

Yeah keep your shield for now while you get more resists.

You can even switch out Blood Ritual for a defensive passive skill like Jungle Fortitude.

Once your pets are surviving better, then you slowly change to a mojo for dps, and switch out something for Blood Ritual again.
08/23/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Nox
Hey, can anyone tell me if pets can proc bleeds at all now? I'm using leeching beasts and cleave garg, and I'm having a hard time spotting any bleed damage even in long fights.

Bleed probably counts as a proc and is nerfed alongside CCs during the coefficient calamity.
Btw folks, added my sample build to defeat Inferno Diablo under Advanced Information. Feel free to add or correct any information.
08/23/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Peter

Bleed probably counts as a proc and is nerfed alongside CCs during the coefficient calamity.

Even so, the dog runes outside of burning and rabid should have a 1.0 coefficient, and since I'm giving them 50% chance to do 6-12k bleed, I should be seeing something. Either it's just hopelessly mixed in with other damage or it's broke. I suck at testing, hoping someone else will do my work for me :P
Ok I just read an old topic that showed that pets have 0% coeffecient outside of auras, is that still the case? christ....
thanks to your guide and the tips inside im currently on my 4th full act3 run.
dieng about 2-3times per game to some unexpected teleportation mobs or just me beeing stupid.

all champion monsters need at least 4hits to kill me and i can even stand in like 5 mortars without dieng.
great guide, great build. im really enjoying it.
Super helpful thread, thank you to all the contributors. I normally play a barb, but got a Mojo that looked fun and have dusted off the Witch Doctor. Sadly, am a total noob at playing it so any and all suggestions are helpful. Should I be looking for more crit/crit dam (seems to be the approach for most build/classes)? What sort of survivability techniques should I use? Due to the drop, I am trying to do a zombie dog sacrifice sort of build.

Thanks!
Hello everyone.

Trying to keep this short.

I'm interesting in playing a pet build, leaning more towards tanking stats to keep those pets alive.

I want to boost my DPS some as well. Are there any offensive affixes that work well with a tanky pet build? Other than INT, what can I start to add to my gear selectionn that works well with dogs/garg + offensive spells? Crit? IAS? Bleed? Are thorns worthwhile? I'd still like to increase my vit / AR / and regen. Where I can, I'd like to start adding in offensive stats piece by piece.

Thanks for any info you may have!

If you mean the best dps stat for pet builds, we don't know. :P

We will need a dps meter for that.

I plan to use the thorns build, but more as an experiment to see what can be done to improve it. Thorns will probably work well against fast-hitting mobs or numerous mobs. I think it will be average against elites and bosses.

Thanks Mr. Peter. I'm going to try and stack more INT once I get some decent gold. Beyond that I don't know if trying to stack crit with this type of build is worthwhile. Or perhaps I should try and boost damage through passives and take less defensive ones.

I'd love to get a working thorns build. I had tried it once before and it worked somewhat. The problem was all the thorns gear I could afford had little or no INT / Vit, or bad resists. The perfect set of stats wasn't available in my reach. I really wanted the build to work but with the gear I was able to get, the dmg was significantly slower and pets weren't very tanky at the time. Like you said, mobs need to swing fast and most just didn't seem to.
Current stats (profile page isnt updated yet):

Physical,Cold, Fire resists - 649
Lightning resist - 695
Poison resist - 735
Arcane/Holy resist - 731

6310 armor

2286 life regen

I dropped my life regen about 1400 to gain a lot more resists, more armor, and more int. Did I go too far with it?

Will the DoT build work with what I have or would I be better off switching to something else?
Alright so I did some tests in normal diff, removed my equipment and just tested out Acid Cloud runes to see if 'any' stack. And, sadly they definitely, 100%, do not stack at all. Stackless! I'd do 1, get 3-4 dmg ticks, spam 3, same 3-4 ticks. When I tested Phantasm rune on Spirit Barrage I was getting about the same (2-4) ticks but when I spammed 3 out that started going up to about 10 dmg a tick, so that's definitely stacking with in an area.

Ultimately I think non-dot based stuff is best then as it's all instant. Corpse Bomb for instance would allow twice the instant dmg meaning double what I've been doing as far as 'burst dmg'. Though Phantasm rune probably is best for sustained + burst in that regard... just wish it didn't look so damn stupid.
Edited by Adhin#1350 on 8/23/2012 7:12 PM PDT
Managed to down diablo after the patch. http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kinesiology-2764/hero/359512 .
Edit:Profile no longer shows the Stats and gear from diablo kill.
Stats were:
1k LoH
1.5kLR
17.5k dps
32kHP
4k arm
850 lowest resist
Build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WURXYT!aWg!bcbYYZ

Thinking of going for a build centered on Goldskin. Hoping I can get a cheap one and stack bleed LoH. Probably just buy the Goldskin and swap it into my current gear to start with see how that works.

Skills I'm thinking of using: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRUZYT!WVg!bbZcYc

Any advice?
Edited by Kinesiology#2764 on 9/6/2012 9:12 AM PDT
This brings back memories of the Necromancer, its nice to see Witch Doctor starting to do well and have good pet builds.
pets don't proc from their melee, which is why we used burning dogs pre 1.04. switching to another pet will not help with procs because they don't use auras. i do wonder if poison dogs can proc things, but i'm assuming not until tested
Do pets heal us with life on hit anymore? Doesn't feel like it.
08/23/2012 06:36 PMPosted by MeatyBalls
Do pets heal us with life on hit anymore? Doesn't feel like it.

burning dogs will, but only 5% of your loh per sec per dog.

poison dogs can, but also at a severely reduced rate.

garg is completely incapable of any proccing of anything.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]