Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

I need information about vitality vs armor/resistances against DoTs.

For people who have defeated Inferno Diablo and have high vitality, are your pets surviving the Flame Circle?
Would anyone care to offer some discussion on thorns? Am I correct that thorns seem to be de-emphasized now as compared to earlier versions of the thread? I've sifted through this version of the thread and so far the main things I've taken away about thorns are:

1. High thorns damage is especially useful in conjunction with leeching dogs
2. Some seem to think that other stats, such as increased attack speed, have an overall greater advantage than thorns because it scales better with bosses, elites, etc.

Anyone care to elaborate? Is thorns worth it? Under what circumstances? Etc.
Would anyone care to offer some discussion on thorns? Am I correct that thorns seem to be de-emphasized now as compared to earlier versions of the thread? I've sifted through this version of the thread and so far the main things I've taken away about thorns are:

1. High thorns damage is especially useful in conjunction with leeching dogs
2. Some seem to think that other stats, such as increased attack speed, have an overall greater advantage than thorns because it scales better with bosses, elites, etc.

Anyone care to elaborate? Is thorns worth it? Under what circumstances? Etc.

It can be worth it if you have to keep running around due to mortar not having a minimum range. Situations where you cannot stand still to cast a dps spell. It acts like a glorified DoT that doesn't require you to cast.

It is also worth it in situations where there are just waves of monsters, or against fast hitting monsters.

Thorns can be a cheaper dps stat because the only other class that can find some use out of it are barbarians due to one of their passive skills giving them a 50% bonus to thorns damage.

I plan to go thorns just to test it out, and see what can be done to improve it. I feel the thorns benefit from Fierce Loyalty could be buffed to match the barbarian's.

But the one thing thorns cannot do is help kill treasure goblins.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 8/24/2012 4:37 AM PDT
Can't play the game. Error 3006. :(

For people who have defeated Inferno Diablo and have high vitality, are your pets surviving the Flame Circle?

Not indefinitely no, I get about 3 seconds to kite them back out of it. Made killing him take a long time because he just kept doing it over and over again.
08/24/2012 01:07 AMPosted by Ulathar
that would imply that the follower survives at least one hit :)....

My follower has no loh, it's the enchantress, but she has about 50k life and rarely gets downed. A very nice source of extra dps.
after the 1.04 patch. CC seems to be a minor component when combating. I must say that fire dogs burn aura is quite a good doT to clear mob fast after the patch. Have yet to change any gear yet. It is just so hard to replace. Or that just might be my point of view.

What about you guys; manage to fully switch all 13 parts of your gear to allow a more efficient gameplay with summons ? any good recommendations ?

The garg can tank it, but the dogs require use of the armor boost from horrify and/or healing journey regen to prevent death. Note that I also use the mitigation passives (bad med/jungle/fierce). Apparently, the DoT applied from the flame circle can be partially mitigated, but the ticking damage from the circle itself is too strong.
after the 1.04 patch. CC seems to be a minor component when combating. I must say that fire dogs burn aura is quite a good doT to clear mob fast after the patch. Have yet to change any gear yet. It is just so hard to replace. Or that just might be my point of view.

What about you guys; manage to fully switch all 13 parts of your gear to allow a more efficient gameplay with summons ? any good recommendations ?

I have the numbers to clear all of Inferno Act 3 and Act 4, including Diablo. I put up the sample build and stat numbers under the Advanced Information section. I got the defenses figured out, but asking people to see whether vitality can be a better stat than armor/resistances up to a certain point.

But for defensive stats, I am going the "Fierce Loyalty" build where I stack armor/resistances, vitality and life regeneration. I think I will skip Life on Hit for now.

As for the most efficient dps stat for a summoner, yeah still trying to figure it out. Bleed used to work very well in 1.0.3 thanks to high proc rates of burning dogs, but after proc rates are nerfed, Bleed is no longer as effective.

Best dps stat for a pet build? IAS? Crit chance? Thorns? I put in a lot of effort into making pets tankier in 1.0.3 that I neglected the dps part. :P

But I will probably go for thorns. Mixed feelings though.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 8/24/2012 10:09 AM PDT

Not indefinitely no, I get about 3 seconds to kite them back out of it. Made killing him take a long time because he just kept doing it over and over again.

The garg can tank it, but the dogs require use of the armor boost from horrify and/or healing journey regen to prevent death. Note that I also use the mitigation passives (bad med/jungle/fierce). Apparently, the DoT applied from the flame circle can be partially mitigated, but the ticking damage from the circle itself is too strong.

Ok thanks. So the Flame Circle is a cheese mechanic. No point over gearing to survive it.
Just updated the guide.

Basic Information is for beginners, made very easy to understand, and I'm trying not to make it too long.

Advanced Information will contain everything else.

Did you read my updated stat priority post yet, sir?
I want to know if it's good enough to include somewhere in the guide like it used to be.
Just updated the guide.

Basic Information is for beginners, made very easy to understand, and I'm trying not to make it too long.

Advanced Information will contain everything else.

Did you read my updated stat priority post yet, sir?
I want to know if it's good enough to include somewhere in the guide like it used to be.

Oh I didn't see it. Where is the post?
I believe it's on page two. It was usually at the very end of your guide I think.
Might make some revisions later on if I feel the need.
Edited by BafroomHumor#1121 on 8/24/2012 11:23 AM PDT
Peter,

Can you please explain Bad Medicine as it relates to pets and other poison attacks. How does the 20% dmg reduction work after 3 sec?

Example: If I use Locust swarm which last 8 secs does the dmg reduction only last the 3 secs and then stop the last 5 sec? Or does it countinue on? Same as acid could slow burn?

Example for pets: Big stinker is constantly doing poison dmg. Same as above does it only last the 3 sec? Rabid dogs also. They bite for 3 secs of poison. Does it reset every bite?

If anyone can help explain this I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Edited by LClark6#1562 on 8/24/2012 5:22 PM PDT
Peter I have a couple of questions for you:

1: What are your thoughts on the dot build vs. the one you are currently using?

2: In the build you are currently using I noticed you dropped zombie handler for jungle fortitude. Is this just to test it or has it yielded better results?
I dont us zombie handler either. If your vit and life regen is high there is no need for it. Unless you want a extra dog? If you dont have high life regen or vit. You might have to use zombie handler to help keep them alive. I dont know? That's why I have noticed with my gear and build.
Zombie Handler is better tank for the pets just due to adding 1, health is comparable to the 20% DR (since armor/ar does the bulk of the work already). That said, Jungle Fort helps you 'directly' and a lot of folks have noticed that its harder to stay alive then it is to keep your pets alive so... I can see why keeping that over zombie handler if the pets arent your main thing.

Me, I like Zombie Handler but I make relatively constant use of Sacrifice so 4 dogs is 'aaalways' better then 3 when it comes to explosions. Outside of that I'm also a bit more utility setup then dmg spam. 4 Dogs, Garg, Wall of Zombies (with Creeper for more zombie). My only actual damage skill (that I use only for damage) is Acid Cloud with Corpse Bomb.

Switched to Corpse Bomb for 1 reason, ultimately it has the better burst dmg since I learned no Acid Cloud rune 'stack' with the DoT's. Even Glob wont stack with each other from what I've seen but that could just be a lack of better testing. So doing all the dmg in 1 go works best for dmg spam when I need it. And really, 230% dmg to everything in AoE is pretty solid. Sacrifice for Pride when I need to get all my mana back (plus, big explosion for heavy dmg).

Frankly I'm disappointed Acid Cloud doesn't stack with any rune. Really kinda killed it for me. I like Locust + Acid but the actual damage vs mana management (of any type) just doesn't stack up vs pure dmg atm. Maybe they'll wise up and let acid cloud stack and double Locusts dmg? I dunno... but the DoT's are still a bit weak.
Peter,

Can you please explain Bad Medicine as it relates to pets and other poison attacks. How does the 20% dmg reduction work after 3 sec?

I'm pretty sure it resets every time poison damage happens. I can't know for sure but it only makes sense that way.
And I use Zombie handler because 1 extra dog is one extra dog lol. Always nice to have for me.
And if the extra health is applied AFTER they inherit the portion of your own health, it can actually be pretty substantial. Otherwise the extra health is just a 'meh' bonus
Yeah Bad Medicine works for 'any' poison dmg you do (including pets). So Poison dogs, Stinker Garg, and poison based spells you use. It's a useful co-op ability but it doesn't help pets in Inferno since even at 20% reduction in dmg monsters are still pushing out well over the Force Armor limit. At the same time Jungle Fort is on you, 24/7 and means its less situationally required something was hit by poison dmg in the last 3 seconds to have there dmg reduced. It also, mathemadically, comes out to the same reduction.

Basically, for solo work, Jungle Forts more reliable, Bad Medicine is better for co-op. Neither helps pets enough to drastically change the gameplay over another passive. Zombie Handler and Fierce Loyalty help pets out more by a good bit.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]