Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

Resistances: ~850.
LoL. Really.
No.
500 is enough for 5/5 nephalem all the time.

In what act?

Unicorns and ponies are OP. Don't even mess with teddy bears. Stay away from the cupcakes. Rainbows will lead to your death.
40K hp and 500 all resist is enough for farm act 3, and diablo act 4 with 5/5 nephalem.
Just saying..
But ofc, not with this build.
Zombie bear / spiders.
On that note folks, if you have a pet build that can clear all of Inferno, including Diablo, please post it along with your stats and build so that people can have an idea on what works.
So far I have been liking some random !@# build I threw together.

Primary: Firebomb -Pyrogeist rune
Decay: Either Locust swarm - with the fire locust rune (Granted I have a helm with 11% locust swarm dmg in my stash.) Or Acid Cloud with Lob Blob

1: Spirit Walk - Healing
2: Spirit barrage - Manitou
3: Zombie Dogs - Leeching or burning
4: Garg - Restless

Circle of Life / Jungle Fortitude / Zombie Handler

I can lay Pyrogeists if things are hairy and still wreak havok and stay behind a corner.

If I can stay near the mobs with my pet tanks or a group of melee with me....Manitou is a beast. It also helps when I have to fall back as it picks things off that are on my 6.

Locusts have always been one of my fav spells so I like to have a dot...MOAR DOTS...exp one that hops all over the place in say the Heart of Sin.

Granted my resists are above average with my highest at 994 > 906 > 848 on the other 4 types so I can stay close to melee range MOST of the time.

I had life on hit but I wasn't really NEEDING it anymore like I did pre 1.04.
Peter, that is some very interesting test. I am sure you've spent a lot of time recording and calculating. Thank you again for the hard work!

As for thoughts? I just have one question. Is Fortitude worth it to reduce damage taken for the pet? I am asking this because if Force Armor is that good, I am only taking Fortitude for myself if I am running a build that needs closer distance (zombie bear, well of soul).

Fortitude may help your dog survive certain mechanics, such as Azmodan's pools on the ground. So they can be a good deal for your pets.
08/26/2012 09:56 PMPosted by Peter
On that note folks, if you have a pet build that can clear all of Inferno, including Diablo, please post it along with your stats and build so that people can have an idea on what works.

I cycle my build around every act3/4 farm run I do. Builds I use atm:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRUZYT!adX!aZcbaY
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WbUZYT!adV!bZcbcc
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SgUZYT!adV!bbcbYZ <- favourite atm
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gfUZYT!adV!ZYcbba

All my builds are still experimental, so probably not to everyone's taste. But I have used all of them to clear post 1.04 Diablo multiple times (farm runs).
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bRfYUT!dgc!bcccZa

This is my Build and as you can see in my Profile, i managed to clear all of inferno with it.
Act III farming is really easy, Act IV is risky cuz of all those nasty "natural skills" most of the monsters in Act IV have....
Oh and Diablo is really tough with my current gear, but doable with that build.

Have around 38k HP, 30k dps, only 300-350 resis, 4500 armor and 2000 life/sec. Oh and 77 mana/sec, this is rather important for my build to work!

Pets survive Act III quite well but keep dieing very often in Act IV (but still doable!).
My next goal is to get arround 500 resist all and 3000 life/sec.
After that i will go all in on DPS increases.

If you ask why i use Acid Cloud as well as Zombie Bears the answer is very simple:
There are some monsters or champ affix combos that would instantly kill me if i close in to far making bears unuseable in those situations.
So i use Corpse Explosion in order to "kite" some of the nasty stuff as well as opening the fight with it (while closing in to spam Bears).

Thanks to my very good manaregen and Hornor Guest i can spam the skills long enough to take everything down before running out of mana. This is in Act 3 and 4!

Only bosses are a problem (in terms of mana, but thats why i have the widow makers!).
The Spiders are also VERY nice in those situations where my ZDogs and/or Garg block a choke point.
So i can stay around the corner and spam spiders which will then move in to kill the champs (like homeing missles ;)).
Especially nice when i face yet another mortar pack... Man i really hate mortar! My most feared affix!
Hello there!

First, thanks a lot to Peter for his amazing work! I used it a lot pre 1.0.4.
I enjoyed a lot my pet build pre 1.0.4. It was quite the letdown when I could not proc anymore after 1.0.4.
But I found a way to still make the proc work and live on pets! It cost me 2M to get the mojo and the helmet, but here it is: the sacrifice full mana proc build!
Check here for the entire story:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6413132726

So if there are others like me who wants to recycle your pet build to something very fun and efficient, that's a good way to go!
Any thoughts on my zombie handler life boost question?
Hello guys! Care to rate my WD current build (click on profile)? I even reached Diablo with this build, but only got killed with phase 3 and can get really frustrating to start over and over. On which areas do I need to improve and which skill sets can I have? I don't have the funds yet to upgrade my gears, but I'm asking you guys in advance for improvement. Thanks!
Do we know how Zombie Handler's Life Boost of 20% works with the new life mechanic for pets?

Does it
a) Just add 20% to the base life, so dogs go up to 12k + 0.35*Player's Life? Or
b) [10k + 0.35*Player's Life]*1.2?

I'm gonna go with b.

And on the same note, how does Jungle Fortitude work with the Force Armor? Does it reduce the incoming damage by 20% and then begin the Force Armor Calculations, or does it apply that 20% damage reduction somewhere farther down the line. If Force Armor behaves as Peter describes, JF and Bad Medicine would make it even more complicated.

I think Jungle Fortitude will reduce incoming damage alongside armor and resistances.

I just redid my Force Armor calculation. See if it's clear.

Basically I'm gonna go with:

Assuming 50% DR from Armor and Resistances
Full Incoming Damage: 60,000
Damage after reduction: 60,000 * 0.5 * 0.5 * 0.8 (Jungle Fortitude)
Incoming Damage: 12,000

Force Armor will cap 10,000 of that incoming damage.
2,000 will be "absorbed".

The 10,000 Force Armor Cap is further reduced by Armor, Resistances and possibly Jungle Fortitude.

Damage Taken = 10,000 * 0.5 * 0.5 * 0.8 = 2000
Hi all,

I realise this isnt going to the most popular build (nor the most efficient by far) but I just thought I'd share it as I've surprisingly managed to clear diablo with it. I'd classify myself as more of a casual player (hence only 1 character so far) so nearly all my gear was found (hence the lack of much direction).

The current build got me through Acts 1-3 and the beginning of act 4 - then I swapped Soul Harvest for Horrify for the last bits as there were a lot of enemies whod come past your pets straight at you so that got me out of some trouble.

For diablo itself I swapped this with Haunt which worked pretty well. Granted it wasnt the quickest kill and there was a lot of running around but with more time to farm for more intel itd work alright I think. :)
08/27/2012 05:38 AMPosted by Special
Hello guys! Care to rate my WD current build (click on profile)? I even reached Diablo with this build, but only got killed with phase 3 and can get really frustrating to start over and over. On which areas do I need to improve and which skill sets can I have? I don't have the funds yet to upgrade my gears, but I'm asking you guys in advance for improvement. Thanks!

How are you dying in Phase 3? Pets not surviving?

How are you dying in Phase 3? Pets not surviving?

Both me and pets don't survive. Mostly from his flame circles and my shadow. I'm running on pure DoT, but I can also use some burst DPS skills to help with damage. Any ideas on which skills can I add/rearrange? As for my gears, are they sufficient or which areas should I build up first in order to strike a good balance for survivability and DPS and hopefully have a chance to defeat diablo? Thanks
Edited by Special#6503 on 8/27/2012 10:08 AM PDT
1.04 was very kind to my CC pet doctor (aside from nerfing procs) I was stuck in A2 but have since marched all the way through A3, A4 and killed diablo last night. Since the patch I've been upping my damage and health at the expense of armor and my stun/freeze gear. However I donned my shield and cc belt/gloves to help kill diablo after many deaths (mostly due to carelessness). As requested I thought I should share the build that got me there.

Stats:
40k life
550-650 resists
4275 Armor (w/Enchantress)
440 Life on Hit
1000 Life Regen (now down to 850 or so)
33k Damage

Skills:
Rain of Toads
Acid Cloud Slow Burn
Leeching Beasts
Cleave Garg
Soul Harvest Soul to Waste
Spirit walk w/ Healing Journey

Passives:
Feirce Loyalty
Pierce the Viel
Vision Quest

Prior to using VQ for extra mana and Soul Harvest for damage I was using Devouring Locust Swarm for mana (with 10 mana regen on a mojo) and Jungle Fortitude. The DoT from both locusts and slow burn is pretty awesome with toads on top for good measure. As my damage got higher I didn't really feel the need for locusts anymore, and VQ keeps me pretty happy on mana.

I would also like to add that I actually found my weapon in my march through A3. It's the only unique I've found that wasn't junk, and it was an upgrade for me even! The fear is annoying at times (ranged elites) but quite handy with big mobs of heavy hitters.

Thanks again to Peter for all of your research and testing, and to all the other regulars and useful contributors for making this great thread as useful as it is.
So, I'm finally gonna get my health per second above 500 pretty soon, which is good for me since I just started really stacking it. I'm going for some good helm and bracers and belt right now and I really hope I can win them, since my gear desperately needs non-CC upgrades. I'm going through act 2 swimmingly though, and I assume once I switch out the CC gear I can beat it (well, Belial is another question entirely).

This is my build I'm using. Locust swarm is subject to change, but I may keep it considering it has a decent duration (set and forget is nice in a summoning build) and while SB and FB are excellent at single target set and forget, Locust swarm is an order of magnitude more effective at damaging large groups of enemies. I'm trying to find that balance and I think I have it.
And i expect to replace jungle fort with FL once I get >500 health per second.
Do we know how Zombie Handler's Life Boost of 20% works with the new life mechanic for pets?

Does it
a) Just add 20% to the base life, so dogs go up to 12k + 0.35*Player's Life? Or
b) [10k + 0.35*Player's Life]*1.2?

We can only hope it's B. Choice A would make it kinda useless by comparison.

(edit: also, I recently showed pete my nifty new boots and gloves. It's the first high level set items I've ever put together in D3. The bonus I get isn't super significant, but the items themselves are actually pretty useful and the set bonus is a nice treat indeed. It's too bad they are pre-1.0.4.)
Edited by BafroomHumor#1121 on 8/27/2012 10:27 AM PDT
08/26/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Peter
We don't know Splitter. I could test it once I'm free.

That would be cool.

So far it seems like most of the stats arent that useful for Petdocs.

Posted by SplitterWind
Do pets benefit by CC reduction and +% dmg against elite ?

i thought we already decided that they do NOT.

Both stats?

I hopped that at least CC reduction would work.
The ones who still use CC check out my follower
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]