Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

08/29/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Zennshi
3 samples is all you used...? Really?

That's 3 more than you. I'm sorry that my testing clearly offends you, but I'm not obliged to amend my tests just to appease you.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 8/29/2012 11:00 AM PDT
Your testing offends every honest statistic sampling size, but besides that I decided to do some testing of my own.

Honestly - I am quite taken aback - it does appear that % reductions do not migrate to pets - WoW....
Does this mean that reduction from elites also does not migrate to pets?
08/29/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Zennshi
Does this mean that reduction from elites also does not migrate to pets?

Most likely it doesn't benefit pets, alongside melee damage reduction, seeing as they seem to be in the same category. But I can never test it because the elite that only does melee damage for me to test easily, does not exist.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 8/29/2012 11:08 AM PDT
... How... disappointing... I wish the devs would just tell us what does and doesn't benefits pets, that way this sort of thing can be avoided.... sigh
Then I guess the go to stats to get on a petdoctor would be...

CC effects (keeping in mind, only a select few pieces have useful ones) > All resist > Life Regen > Vit/life% > Int > Armor > ???

Edit - the new azurewrath pretty much takes care of 70% of the CC needs =)
Edited by Zennshi#1477 on 8/29/2012 11:30 AM PDT
Yeah Peter poison does proc, it has a 0.1 efficiency, where as burning has a 0.05 efficiency. It's in the patch notes for 1.04, and used to have a 1 like burning aura did. As it stands poison dogs have the highest DPS ratio to a single target and best, proc/loh vs a single target as you'd get 40% of your LoH with 4 dogs. Only 20% with burning now however once you get them into a larger group its 5% per dog per target and... starts to stack up.

As for there damage I did some testing and that 9% poison is not a conversion its definitely added onto the base 9% physical they do normally. Which is kinda a misleading description. That all said I wouldn't use CC over other tank stats personally. I mean if that's what Zenn here in all his spaz-rage wants to do, more power to ya man. But I'd rather they tank better first and foremost and my damage doesn't fall to far behind. if I happen to get a %stun via an item in that, great but it doesn't change the build any one way or another.
Edited by Adhin#1350 on 8/29/2012 5:55 PM PDT
Great low cost build. Spent less than a million for the crappy gear that lets my pets tank everything while I rain spam toads. I go with soul harvest for the big dps increase. Die a bit more from losing horrify but im too cheap to pay for more dps.

Thank you Peter Griffin.

Both me and pets don't survive. Mostly from his flame circles and my shadow. I'm running on pure DoT, but I can also use some burst DPS skills to help with damage. Any ideas on which skills can I add/rearrange? As for my gears, are they sufficient or which areas should I build up first in order to strike a good balance for survivability and DPS and hopefully have a chance to defeat diablo? Thanks

You could use Fierce Loyalty to transfer your Life Regen to your pets.
Also use Horrify - Frightening Aspect. Cast it when Diablo casts the Flame Circle and quickly run away. Hopefully your pets can survive it.

Thanks for the input. Fortunately, I was able to kill Diablo a few days ago, using still the DoT build, but tried running constantly. It somehow worked, but it stressed me out big time because of the slow damage and my index finger glued to the keyboard for force move. Had over 5k in armor and 750+ in resists, yet my pets still can't keep up with the flame circle whenever it is cast. That's where I pop spirit walk and kite away to save them. I used spirit vessel as my passive (replacing PtV) though I never activated it because of my constant kiting. Even though I conquered Diablo (in inferno), I wish to fight him one more time with a stronger build. Mostly in farming mode now to acquire suitable upgrades. More power to this guide and hope you shed some more light to the mysteries of the spirits, chasms and taboos of a witch doctor.
I actually have 'force move' as my mouse wheel and wheel scroll down. So If I really, really need to just move fast, I point where I go and do a quick scroll down and... yeah, no key hovering, no having to use my left hand for anything but half my hotkeys. Also have 3 and 4 tied to my mouse instead so I literally only use 3 buttons on my keyboard heh.
08/27/2012 06:22 PMPosted by kitsunekune
On that note folks, if you have a pet build that can clear all of Inferno, including Diablo, please post it along with your stats and build so that people can have an idea on what works.

Here goes nothing.

HP: 42.3k
Mana: 849
DPS: 20585.4
Armor: 3193
AR: 900+
Regen: 2.3k
Thorns: 10.6k

And as for my build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/kantutiti-1559/hero/8101008

Solo'd Act 3 and 4 with this build. Hope it helps!
Glad the guide has helped some people. Feel free to suggest things to be added that can help.

I'm trying the thorns build now. It seems to have potential.
Thorns build going ok so far. But died a few times to mortar.
I think I figured out a way to kill treasure goblins with pets.

The only change I had was I used Grasp of the Dead with the 80% slow rune. It slows the goblin to 80%, and because it couldn't run away fast, it was enough for my pets to surround the goblin against a wall. With nowhere to go, you then spam your primary spell to kill it.
Glad the guide has helped some people. Feel free to suggest things to be added that can help.

I'm trying the thorns build now. It seems to have potential.

20.5k thorns

Look at my build. it's a blast, minus the low dps. That's just a work in progress to find more intel while maxing other stats.
Edited by AelxProter#1725 on 8/31/2012 1:33 AM PDT
Just a quick question: how viable are these builds in hardcore?
Just beat the hell out of Cydea and had almost no problems with my setup. Guess I didn't struggle coz my movement speed is increased by 12% so the spiders couldn't even get close to me.

Well my tactic was pretty much like running around the circle and at the last time SW to Cydea so she couldn't get away... my WD needed an iso drink after the battle :)
On that note folks, if you have a pet build that can clear all of Inferno, including Diablo, please post it along with your stats and build so that people can have an idea on what works.

Str: 268
Dex: 599
Int: 1258
Vit: 640
AR: ~750
Armor: 4295
Damage: 16.3K
Life: 26.8K
Life Regen: 2010
Mana: 740
Mana Regen: 81

Life on Hit: 374
Crowd Control: 4.9 Stun / 4.1 Freeze / 4.2 Blind / 1.6 Knockback (I personally hate the knockback but its on my weapon and I dont have a better choice)

Skills:
Left-Click: Rain of Toads
Right-Click: Zombie Charger - Leperous Zombie (Procs CC well and hits hard, I recommend this skill for proc builds)
1: SW-Healing Journey
2: SH - Vengeful Spirit (this skill could be changed. I like the extra damage buff and AoE damage)
3: Burning Dogs (any dogs seem to work okay, went with burning for the proc. Not sure if burning or rabid is better for proc)
4: Garg - Bruiser (any garg seems okay)

Passives:
Fierce Loyalty
Spirit Vessel (a free mistake every 90 secs + more SW)
Fetish Sycophants (This skill could be anything really. I didnt need jungle fortitude to keep my pets alive, so i figured I would grab something that would increase my damage.)

I've been able to kill Diablo with 5 stacks of NV with this build.

It would be a hardcore friendly build if I had more life. With my low life and low damage, I tend to die trying to force the issue and make mistakes.

It is not an efficient farming build, simply because of the low damage I deal.
Edited by VictoriousDN#1441 on 8/31/2012 5:57 AM PDT
I recently managed to beat Inferno with this build:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Moebius-2573/hero/1973060

Str: 231
Dex: 774
Int: 1957
Vit: 1686
Resists: lowest 588, highest 628
Armor: 2989 (49.91 reduction)
Dmg: 31084
Life: 66.4k
Life regen: 160
Life on hit: 0

Most of the damage is delivered by rain of toads and locusts, pets are used as meat walls (they last pretty long).

I had problems with aoe packs (es. Cydaea) before I added locusts and learned to use it.
I think I figured out a way to kill treasure goblins with pets.

The only change I had was I used Grasp of the Dead with the 80% slow rune. It slows the goblin to 80%, and because it couldn't run away fast, it was enough for my pets to surround the goblin against a wall. With nowhere to go, you then spam your primary spell to kill it.

Yes! I've found this way the best as well. Since I don't have high enough dps to kill one in act 3, I noticed that the first thing you do is to "corner" Goblin. You don't even need to try hard. It doesn't seem to move at all once you corner it with the help of pets. And then you !@#$%^-* it. The only problem is aggro around me... T_T
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]