Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

Glad the guide has helped some people. Feel free to suggest things to be added that can help.

I'm trying the thorns build now. It seems to have potential.

20.5k thorns

Look at my build. it's a blast, minus the low dps. That's just a work in progress to find more intel while maxing other stats.

Holy.. 20.5K. How do you do in act 3+? Does it take a long time to kill an elite group?
On that note folks, if you have a pet build that can clear all of Inferno, including Diablo, please post it along with your stats and build so that people can have an idea on what works.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Stello-1898/hero/1297387

STR: 518
Dex: 1056
INT: 2156
VIT: 846
LoH: 226 (Occasionally switch to +800 LoH/ 890 dps c. knife)
Life Regen : 294
Globe Radius: 20 (totd)

Armor: 3330
Dodge: 30.6%
Resist All: 500-600

Damage: 30802
Crit Chance: 13% (working on more)
Crit Dmg: 110%

Freeze: 6.3%
Stun: 4.2%
Blind: 5.0%
Immobilize: 4.3%

Most of my damage is Acid Cloud & Toads. I haven't noticed a change in chance for my abilities to proc, and Acid Cloud procs very often to mobs in the center of the blast.

I'm still experimenting as the rest of us, but I did beat all of act 3 & 4 inferno with this spec without skipping any packs. When I didn't have my Thing of the Deep, I used Blood Ritual instead of Gruesome Feast.
Edited by Stello#1898 on 8/31/2012 11:52 AM PDT
i tried to do some testing with crit damage and a garg(no rune)

i used the same gear for both with the 0ne thing changing being the crit damage gem in my weapon(80%)

base stat:
crit chance: 30.5% 30.5
crit damage: 50% 130%
paperdoll damge:23973 29049(jump due to added crit damage)

i tested 26 crits with both on monsters in the weeping hollow in act 1 inferno
im only posting 15 attacks but the end average is the average of all 26 crit i tested
all of the number are rounded in 1000 increments(i.e. 30 would be 30000)
50% crit damage 130% crit damage
1. 39 35
2. 32 26
3. 41 36
4. 19 38
5. 22 21
6. 30 34
7. 35 24
8. 21 44
9. 35 37
10. 40 24
11. 43 27
12. 28 32
13. 25 34
14. 35 40
15. 29 31
lowest #: 19(3 times) 21(once)
highest #: 43(once) 44(once)
# crits 0-30: 11 10
# crits 30-40: 11 10
# crits 40+: 4 6

50% avg:30.7k
130% avg:32.2k

as there is only a very small increase in the added crit damage number i dont believe it transfers to the pets although it might
i tried to do some testing with crit damage and a garg(no rune)

i used the same gear for both with the 0ne thing changing being the crit damage gem in my weapon(80%)

base stat:
crit chance: 30.5% 30.5
crit damage: 50% 130%
paperdoll damge:23973 29049(jump due to added crit damage)

i tested 26 crits with both on monsters in the weeping hollow in act 1 inferno
im only posting 15 attacks but the end average is the average of all 26 crit i tested
all of the number are rounded in 1000 increments(i.e. 30 would be 30000)
50% crit damage 130% crit damage
1. 39 35
2. 32 26
3. 41 36
4. 19 38
5. 22 21
6. 30 34
7. 35 24
8. 21 44
9. 35 37
10. 40 24
11. 43 27
12. 28 32
13. 25 34
14. 35 40
15. 29 31
lowest #: 19(3 times) 21(once)
highest #: 43(once) 44(once)
# crits 0-30: 11 10
# crits 30-40: 11 10
# crits 40+: 4 6

50% avg:30.7k
130% avg:32.2k

as there is only a very small increase in the added crit damage number i dont believe it transfers to the pets although it might

Thanks for the test. It matches the one I did a long time ago. Under test 3.3.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271500086

Crit damage does not seem to increase either pet normal damage or pet critical damage.
Crit damage only increases your overall dps a bit, so the effects of crit damage are very low.

So crit damage may help pet damage, but probably requires other stats as well to make it worthwhile. I heard that if you have high crit chance, crit damage will boost your overall damage further, but I personally have very little experience in boosting dps.
Pet builds seem to not work as well against Cydaea. Is a strong aoe from high raw dps the only way to beat Cydaea comfortably? I still feel the Locusts spell is the way to go.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 8/31/2012 11:00 PM PDT
65-76k dps for my WD. Not trying to show off or anything but to help people get an idea of gear and builds to help get them a pimp Doctor. I also would like WD's who have higher dps then me to say whats up so I can check out their gear and set up to improve mine.

Thanks for the test. It matches the one I did a long time ago. Under test 3.3.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271500086

Crit damage does not seem to increase either pet normal damage or pet critical damage.
Crit damage only increases your overall dps a bit, so the effects of crit damage are very low.

So crit damage may help pet damage, but probably requires other stats as well to make it worthwhile. I heard that if you have high crit chance, crit damage will boost your overall damage further, but I personally have very little experience in boosting dps.
IT is important to understand that Crit or Crit damage are *effectively* useless on their own for increasing damage potential, but together are extremely powerful.

Just getting +100% CD when you have base crit chance is going to do bery little to increase your damage. Or just getting +10% crit wil do the same thing. But getting *both* together will increase your damage considerably.

This is because CD and crit work together to multiply your overall DPS.
Edited by Autocthon#1276 on 9/1/2012 3:19 AM PDT
@Peter: i have been able to beat Cydeaa with a pet build and 17k dps. i did it in a couple of tries (5+), until i found the right combination. i went with zombie bears, in order to control the little spider spawns that are really deadly and if i remember correctly, locust swarm.

now i'm stuck at diablo. apparenlty 600+ all resists, 45k life and jungle fortitude are not enough to survive a trap and a hug from diablo :/
well that sux that crit damage doesnt help pets... still my garg crit for 250k plus when enraged so i was pretty sure crit damage was helping them..

Karg you shouldnt be trapped to begin with lol.
What about the effect "Adds X% to X damage" ? Does pet gain from that?
@Peter: i have been able to beat Cydeaa with a pet build and 17k dps. i did it in a couple of tries (5+), until i found the right combination. i went with zombie bears, in order to control the little spider spawns that are really deadly and if i remember correctly, locust swarm.

now i'm stuck at diablo. apparenlty 600+ all resists, 45k life and jungle fortitude are not enough to survive a trap and a hug from diablo :/

So zombie bears and locusts. I'll have to try it.

well that sux that crit damage doesnt help pets... still my garg crit for 250k plus when enraged so i was pretty sure crit damage was helping them..

Karg you shouldnt be trapped to begin with lol.

Yes I agree that you should avoid being trapped. Use spirit walk to evade the prisons.

Crit damage helps pets, but only because their damage is derived from your own dps. But it does not increase their crit damage.

09/01/2012 05:18 AMPosted by mmaker1337
What about the effect "Adds X% to X damage" ? Does pet gain from that?

What is that? Like elemental damage?
yes from example zunimassa boots
09/01/2012 06:42 AMPosted by mmaker1337
yes from example zunimassa boots

I think at the very least it will benefit them because it increases your own dps, and their damage is derived from your dps.

As for double-dipping, I'm not sure. The number is probably too small to matter.
I kinda like the idea of thorns but I'm curious as to how much thorns damage you need to make it worth it. Is 3968 enough or would I need more. Kinda seems like you don't want too much because then it will cost you in other stats, but not enough and it's just not worth it.

2 questions about the build that is currently in your profile Peter:

1: You switched back to Zombie Handler. Why?

2: Why did you switch to leeching beasts? Is there some interaction between it and thorns damage or some other reason?
I kinda like the idea of thorns but I'm curious as to how much thorns damage you need to make it worth it. Is 3968 enough or would I need more. Kinda seems like you don't want too much because then it will cost you in other stats, but not enough and it's just not worth it.

2 questions about the build that is currently in your profile Peter:

1: You switched back to Zombie Handler. Why?

2: Why did you switch to leeching beasts? Is there some interaction between it and thorns damage or some other reason?

1. For testing the thorns build. 1 extra dog means more mobs are attacking my dogs and triggering thorns.

Also, for cleaves which Diablo does, every dog that is hit by cleave will trigger thorns. I've noticed this against Diablo, he can take up to 5 times the thorns damage if cleave hits all my pets.

2. Yes, for leeching beasts, thorns count as THEIR damage. And every time thorns trigger, they also trigger the leeching effect.

So if you get really high thorns number, the leeching effect will work wonders, even with the 80% reduction to leeching effects in Inferno. 10,000 thorns = 2000 life leech = 1000 to you, every time your dog gets hit.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/1/2012 8:28 AM PDT
Is 3968 enough or should I just not bother at this point?
09/01/2012 08:32 AMPosted by FallofKings
Is 3968 enough or should I just not bother at this point?

On paper thorns can look good, extra damage, life leech effect.
But I just cannot help but feel that thorns is lackluster because they cannot help you kill treasure goblins. That thought keeps bugging me.

Probably best if you don't bother for now and focus on sure stats like intelligence for damage, armor/resistances, vitality and life regen for survivability.

I'm still gonna experiment with thorns to see its potential and also to see how it can be improved.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/1/2012 8:41 AM PDT
I can't kill treasure goblins anyhow and thinking about it I haven't even seen any in a while and I usually full clear areas to make sure I don't miss anything.

I need to upgrade my gear but I'm trying to mess with my wizard at the same time so funds are severely limited.

Was trying to think of an alternative to rain of toads but it just seems like the best option at this point especially with it being able to go over walls and what not.

I would like more permanent pets and see them do something with toad of hugeness. 1.0.4 was a massive step in the right direction in my opinion but there are still some things I would like to see.
Edited by FallofKings#1473 on 9/1/2012 8:46 AM PDT
Logged back in to look at my witch doctor and thinking I may just keep the thorns for now. I'm using fierce loyalty either way and I got slightly better resists, a lot more health, and a little more damage out of what I got (shoulders and belt). Did lose a couple hundred life regen but i'm still at 1681.
Yeah no problem, just, don't go overboard with thorns and just take whatever your upgrades give you.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]