Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

Reply to the "tank" doctor. Thats exactly what I was and always loved then I started playing with the pets again using all my same tank dr gear and it works out fantastically for me. I'll post a pic of my gear and what not when I get home but my build is. RoT, spirit walk - healing, garg w the cleave rune, I was doing leech dogs and they never died but I'm using fire dogs and they rock and survive just as good almost, acid cloud- lob blob bomb, and soul harvest w the health rune. My Passives right now are jungle fortitude, PtV, and zombie handler. I'm at 68k health, all resists lowest is 820-900, loh is around 1300, dps is 20k (with PtV), armour is around 5k or so, like I said I'll put up a screen shot of it all so ya can see better. But I get right in there and tank with them all lol and everything does quickly and I hardly ever ever die. The only time my dogs die is due to a frozen, desecrator w molten, for some reason every now and then they will pop ice one after the other now. Bosses are no issue at all. I'm really wanting to try an swap out my shield for a Mojo and see how that works out but I haven't found a decent enough mojo (or one on the ah that doesn't cost like 1,000,000,000 lol). Anyways. I actually love it. I'm usually the last one standing w all my pets in a group of four finishing everything off lol. Anyone wants to add me they can and I'll run w ya and have some fun and help out with ur build the best I can :)
I'm on ready to play if anyone cares Or wants help w builds.
If you had to guess what would you say is the best place for a summoner witch doctor to farm?
I've been farming act3. But it all depends on your gear basically to farm certain areas.
Where do you start in Act 3 to farm?

I've been using a pretty fun build to farm Act 2, haven't seen a lot of people with builds like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SiQPYT!hYT!aZbZZc
Roam around with dogs and garg just flash firing everything, and soon as you get to a pack of elites, hit bbv and fetishes, and spam hex like crazy. It melts most packs. I should probably switch Fetishes to Head Hunters since I really only use it on elite packs.

That's with the same gear and stats that I just beat Inferno Diablo with Solo!!! God, it took long enough! Took more tries than it should have for sure, but I used this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fSUXYT!aXh!cYcYac
Edited by agentj73#1159 on 9/2/2012 6:33 PM PDT
Few more things:

1: Leeching beasts vs. Burning Dogs. Considering dogs overall aren't a large part of your damage I am starting to think leeching beasts might not be a bad option to gain a little more survivability for you and for your dogs. Curious what other people think on this matter.

2: Gargantuan rune. Other than wrathful protector they are all pretty good. I am currently using humongoid for the cleave but the stun from bruiser, the increase vs. elites/bosses from restless giant, and the aoe poison from big stinker all seem good. How do you pick when all the options seem good?

3: Thorns damage. Kinda ties in with #1. Since it interacts with leeching beasts and I would be losing the minor damage from burning dogs would getting about 4-6k thorns damage be good to not only add a little damage but also help with survivability because of its interaction with leeching beasts as, as long as I don't sacrifice any other stats?
Few more things:

1: Leeching beasts vs. Burning Dogs. Considering dogs overall aren't a large part of your damage I am starting to think leeching beasts might not be a bad option to gain a little more survivability for you and for your dogs. Curious what other people think on this matter.

2: Gargantuan rune. Other than wrathful protector they are all pretty good. I am currently using humongoid for the cleave but the stun from bruiser, the increase vs. elites/bosses from restless giant, and the aoe poison from big stinker all seem good. How do you pick when all the options seem good?

3: Thorns damage. Kinda ties in with #1. Since it interacts with leeching beasts and I would be losing the minor damage from burning dogs would getting about 4-6k thorns damage be good to not only add a little damage but also help with survivability because of its interaction with leeching beasts as, as long as I don't sacrifice any other stats?

1. Yeah leeching beasts now seem like a good idea.

2. I'm now switching to cleave because I feel more uncomfortable with Cydaea's spiders.

3. I have decided to abandon testing thorns. In Inferno, after the reduction of life leeching effects, you will get only 5% of your thorns damage as heals. Your pet gets the other 5%. If you have 10,000 thorns, that's only 500 healing, IF the mob melees your pet and not shoot from range or use spells.

But the main problem is that, because I want to sport gold find gear, it is very hard to find good gear with thorns as well, and you end up having to sacrifice stats. When I got beat by Diablo, enough is enough and I abandoned testing thorns.

I now will only get thorns if it comes with the gear I want.
08/31/2012 10:55 PMPosted by Peter
Pet builds seem to not work as well against Cydaea. Is a strong aoe from high raw dps the only way to beat Cydaea comfortably? I still feel the Locusts spell is the way to go.

Peter... my gear is notnihg special but I still managed to kill her many times without dying once with 5 valors active. Just get those 12% movement speed increased and the spiders won't bother you. If things become nasty... try to group them and SW straight to Cydea. BBV with bears also saves the day if the spiders are overwhelming ya.

With this setup I could clear all of A3 without switching skills. Tried Locusts but bears works better with my LoH. A4 is a different story... so far so good but I will have to change something or get better gear. Rakanoth was easy but the future does not look so good...
Edited by TheThunder#2933 on 9/2/2012 11:42 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Talking about thorns it actually helped me to beat diablo thorns added a good amount of dps. I have about 2k+ thorns total and 1100+ LoH. Alll of this helped me over come diablo as a pet doctor I literally let him take thorn dmg and spam acid cloud as I ran away. I would however after the cage phase run in spam bears until mana less and spirit walk away. btw acid cloud=king of LoH returns (if you have the mana to do so)
I have a question.

If I'm using Fierce Loyalty, can the damage from the thorn effect on pets proc things like my Gidbinn fetish summon effect OR the sycophants?

If I'm using burning dogs, can the AoE effect proc the Gidbinn fetish summon effect either from sycophants OR the legendary weapon?
i had zero problems with cydera (or w/e her name is) when i was using acid slow burn and rain of toads.

another way to increase dps is using multiple concurrent damage sources. i use gotd + locusts + fire bomb spam. the damage keeps going while i'm spamming the fire bombs. seems to take things down pretty quickly.

has anyone tried hellrack with burning dogs? 40% for 12k bleed, while not as good as skorn, may be enough to make the burning dogs worth it despite the big nerf to the proc coefficient.
Imo, leeching beasts rune for dogs is only useful if you are going for a thorns based build.

Else the damage done from dogs alone isnt all that great, hence the heals you get isnt either.

That aside, whether thorns counting as a dog attack and hence proccing the leeching beast heal, is considered a bug/exploit i have no idea, but it does seem a little gimmicky.

To me, its similar to how the old Acid Rain, Fire Pit, Rain of Toads, proccing the heck outa proc effects like LoH and CCs, is considered gimmicky.

Anyway, i've yet to hit 60 on my american server WD, but since the 1.0.4 patch, i've been favoring the poison rune for dogs due to single target damage.(Just of the opinion this does the most damage on elites/bosses).

For garg, its cleave hands down, while the stun rune is useful, not being able to choose when the stun happens is a let down =P
Edited by NightCross#6873 on 9/3/2012 3:58 AM PDT
Few more things:

1. Yeah leeching beasts now seem like a good idea.

2. I'm now switching to cleave because I feel more uncomfortable with Cydaea's spiders.

3. I have decided to abandon testing thorns. In Inferno, after the reduction of life leeching effects, you will get only 5% of your thorns damage as heals. Your pet gets the other 5%. If you have 10,000 thorns, that's only 500 healing, IF the mob melees your pet and not shoot from range or use spells.

But the main problem is that, because I want to sport gold find gear, it is very hard to find good gear with thorns as well, and you end up having to sacrifice stats. When I got beat by Diablo, enough is enough and I abandoned testing thorns.

I now will only get thorns if it comes with the gear I want.

1. I use leeching as I really only need the dogs to stand there while I do the damage. The dogs really can't seem to do much damage in Inferno.

2. I use humangoid for the extra damage and seems to work best because sometimes he actually kills things once I have their health down a bit and I run around from mortars, arcane beams etc.. Also, I killed Cydaea easily with this build. Use her spiders to get the 5 stack from soul harvest and pour frogs and rain on her.

3. Thorns is a nice idea but you have to give up too many other stats to make it useable. I went for regen instead.

I built my WD for farming and she can do Acts 2 and 3 pretty efficiently. My Monk with slightly higher DPS is a lot more work although he's the one who farmed all of her equipment.
Tried leeching dogs and switched back to burning ones. The reason behind is the simple fact that burning dogs seems to attract more mobs and less get directly to me. Even the ranged ones pay more attention to them than direcly to me. I feel much more confortable with LoH and less mobs around me than the bonus I get from leeaching beast+thorns... tho they nerfed their proc I would still vote for them.
Edited by TheThunder#2933 on 9/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT
Hi all, this is my Thorns pet build. Any ideas how to improve this build ( i know i need more resistance but something else )? Thank you.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Gimlon-2341/hero/8075530
I have a question.

If I'm using Fierce Loyalty, can the damage from the thorn effect on pets proc things like my Gidbinn fetish summon effect OR the sycophants?

If I'm using burning dogs, can the AoE effect proc the Gidbinn fetish summon effect either from sycophants OR the legendary weapon?

Wow I really have no idea because I'll need to have such a weapon to test it.

If it follows proc coefficients, then burning dogs can trigger it and thorns can't. But, I really don't know what rule the Gidbinn follows.
90 Human Paladin

For garg, its cleave hands down, while the stun rune is useful, not being able to choose when the stun happens is a let down =P
He can stun bosses while you can't choose when it goes off it is by far the most helpful rune he has. I aslo dont agree with leeching beasts I do agree it is very helpful but leeching beasts heal is super small to begin with I mean super small if you use LoH rabid dogs are better dmg and higher proc coefficents therefore leaving leeching beasts behind. I dont think thorns is to get an extra heal. Its for added dps because Dps for pet doctors isnt that great unless you manage to find cc cd items with thorns and whatever else stats you choose to stack.
Edited by Corpsegrindr#1175 on 9/3/2012 11:09 AM PDT
Starting to seem like the cost of getting good thorns damage is too much when weighed against the other stats you lose.

@TheThunder What it "seems" like is happening and what happen are 2 different things. Would require more testing to find out if this is actually true or not.

The only problem I have with the Bruiser rune is it can miss. What I have seen during the time I have been using it is he stops to cast it so if the monster moves it can miss (not 100% sure if this is true or not). Overall I think I like the extra damage and cleave from Humongoid more.

Almost forgot about the Pestilence rune for Locust Swarm. How exactly does it work? Does it make locust swarm spread faster? Is it worth the loss in damage from Searing Locusts?

Also Peter, I noticed you dropped Horrify for Grasp of the Dead. Do you think the extra damage and slow from Grasp is better than the fear from Horrify?
Edited by FallofKings#1473 on 9/3/2012 1:07 PM PDT
Terihlon mentioned using multiple DoT spells to increase DPS. Along with the widely recommended GoTD I suggest giving pyrogeist a try as that third spell along with the primary/secondary of your choice.

I like that you can Place it from a distance and with no cooldown re-place it often where needed. The DPS is quite noticeable now and it's range is quite large. The mana cost is nothing so if you use bears or AC as your secondary it can always be cast. The mana/damage ratio is insane.

Another great use is when you have to scramble against those tough elites you can drop it periodically and kite around it constantly doing damage as you avoid it yourself.

Since it eliminates fire pit as a primary I like to use te following as my favorite combos:

Primary:
RoT or Splinters depending on the situation- splinters helps with bosses.

Secondary:
Locusts (personal favorite) with PtV
Bears or AC with vision quest on occasion to mix it up

And pyrogeist as the third damage spell.

Last three spots healing journey/dogs/garg of course.

Finally a question: do poision dogs do an additional 9% damage along with the original 9% physical? Or is it just swapped to poison damage at 9% overall?

Thanks
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]