Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

I have a question.

If I'm using Fierce Loyalty, can the damage from the thorn effect on pets proc things like my Gidbinn fetish summon effect OR the sycophants?

If I'm using burning dogs, can the AoE effect proc the Gidbinn fetish summon effect either from sycophants OR the legendary weapon?

Wow I really have no idea because I'll need to have such a weapon to test it.

If it follows proc coefficients, then burning dogs can trigger it and thorns can't. But, I really don't know what rule the Gidbinn follows.

I think many of Legendary effects are proc on cast and not on hit. I could be wrong though. Any expert knows?
Thought of something else.

Build I am currently using:

Rain of Toads
Locust Swarm (rune is still up for debate)
Humongoid
Leeching Beasts
Healing Journey
Face of Death

Was curious if replacing Face of Death with Grasp of the Dead (not sure which rune), Pyrogeist, or something else for more damage might be better or worth testing.

Started looking at healing journey also. Starting to think it might not be the best choice. Jaunt seems like an obvious choice for the increased duration but I was thinking Severance or Umbral Shock might be worth some testing for some added damage.

Still haven't thought of something that could possibly replace Rain of Toads. Good damage, low mana cost, and can go over walls.

What I would really like to see is them turn Toad of Hugeness and the Spider Queen runes into permanent pets. Would require a complete rework of the rune but I want more pets. Will probably never happen but I can hope.

Also Peter, I noticed you dropped Horrify for Grasp of the Dead. Do you think the extra damage and slow from Grasp is better than the fear from Horrify?

Actually I got it to trap those pesky treasure goblins. It can work if I time it properly at the start, and while it is slowed, my pets will surround it and prevent it from going anywhere. But the presence of other monsters nearby makes it hard.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/3/2012 10:34 PM PDT
The Gidbinn is proc on cast
Have you tested if Big Bad Voodoo - Slam Dance increases the dps of the pets?
If ti doesn't my "Tribal Pet Summon theory build" is dead before I try it, lol :)
I'm pretty convinced that pets count as allies, so it does help them
Question, how much do my pets benefit from my dodge?

I'm currently sitting at 31% dodge with over 1000 dex.

do my pets take on the same dodge percentage? or is it applied at a reduced amount?
I spend under 3m and got some gear and I managed to finish the game without any problems using this pet build - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WiUhYT!gaW!baaccY

I used Pierce the Veil instead of Spirit Vessel and Hedge Magic Hex for extra healing and some CC on really bad situations. Normally I would rotate it with Spirit Walk as a defensive CD.

I had around 900-950 resistances, 6000 armor (with enchantress), 22k DPS, 38k health, 1400 Life On Hit, 700 Life per second (this doesn't need to be high to keep pets alive).

Cydea wasn't a problem as locusts and kiting would finish the spiderlings and they were very slow. Azmodan was just the usual zigzag running and not much else. Haven't played for a long time but killed Diablo in one go. Pets would tank my clone and I'd kill it before the green stuff would kill the dogs and I would use Spirit Walk + Health Fountains to keep my dogs alive in P3 when he'd spam those flaming circles that kill your pets.

I do not think that pets need high Life per second since I've been running builds with as low as 500 and they do not seem to need more than 700 for anything in the game (unless 2k will keep them alive from Diablo's flame or the demon's flame breath in Act IV). Most of the time if I run into that rare instance that they do die (hammer guys also) then I just resummon.

With 1400 LoH I don't actually need them to tank since I'm also a tank doctor in essence. I started with around 900 LoH (700 from cheap weapon, 200 from ring) and since changed to an amulet with 600 LoH and a ring with 100 LoH.

So technically I can't die and neither do my pets so it's a win-win with 22k DPS. I can't afford the fancy stuff to get to 30k DPS (which is enough to melt Act IV mobs fast) but it's good enough as it is. I have a Mojo that I switch to to get 30k DPS if I see a gobo.

Anyway, great thread. Thanks for putting the info here. I never would have tried RoT if I didn't read this.
Edited by ryvrdrgn14#1515 on 9/4/2012 2:41 AM PDT
08/29/2012 08:59 AMPosted by Halfgodz
Is there a legendary weapon that jacks up your poison damage like these fire weapons? I was thinking that would be a nice boost to Plague of Toads and Acid Rain for sure.

the only one I have seen is Pus Spitter
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/item/pus-spitter
Wonderful source of information OP. Just to confirm what I have read of the mechanics, lets say a WD has 43000 health 90% combined damage reduction from armor and resists. The WD is using JF and ZH as passives.

This would give each dog (10k+0.35*43k)*1.2 = 30,060 hp

The Gargantuan would have (30k+0.5*43k)*1.2 = 54,060 hp

Assuming I calculated the health correctly the amount of damage to one shot each of the pets should look be:

(max health - (Force Armor cap *(1- damage reduction)) + Force Armor cap + Force Armor absorb cap)/((1-Damage Reduction)*(1-JF reduction))

(30,060 - (10,000*(1-0.9)) + 10,000 +10,000)/((1-0.9)*(1-0.2)) = 613,030

For the Zombie Dogs

(54,060 - (30,000*(1-0.9)) + 30,000 +30,000)/((1-0.9)*(1-0.2)) = 1,387,747

For the Gargantuan.

This seems like an awfully high amount of "Effective Health" for the dogs to be getting one shot by the exploding goblins but the ratio of EH seems about right between the two. Did I mess up somewhere in the algebra combining all the OP's steps backwards to get the EH?
Edited by Demon#1348 on 9/4/2012 5:10 AM PDT
Question, how much do my pets benefit from my dodge?

I'm currently sitting at 31% dodge with over 1000 dex.

do my pets take on the same dodge percentage? or is it applied at a reduced amount?

I did a test a long time ago, and it feels like a 1:1 ratio. So if you have 30% dodge chance, your pets should also have 30% dodge chance.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271500086

Combine this with the fact that in the Witch Doctor Preview, the devs used YOUR armor and resistances to calculate the PET's force armor damage reduction, it is reasonable to assume that your pets will share the same dodge chance as you.

I spend under 3m and got some gear and I managed to finish the game without any problems using this pet build - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WiUhYT!gaW!baaccY

Congratulations!
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/4/2012 5:32 AM PDT
Wonderful source of information OP. Just to confirm what I have read of the mechanics, lets say a WD has 43000 health 90% combined damage reduction from armor and resists. The WD is using JF and ZH as passives.

Assuming I calculated the health correctly the amount of damage to one shot each of the pets should look be:

(max health - (Force Armor cap *(1- damage reduction)) + Force Armor cap + Force Armor absorb cap)/((1-Damage Reduction)*(1-JF reduction))

For the Zombie Dogs

For the Gargantuan.

This seems like an awfully high amount of "Effective Health" for the dogs to be getting one shot by the exploding goblins but the ratio of EH seems about right between the two. Did I mess up somewhere in the algebra combining all the OP's steps backwards to get the EH?

There's always a chance that my calculation could be wrong. It is all based on guesswork, but I at least try to use some common sense and logic in guessing the formula, taking into account how the wizard's Force Armor works as well.

There must be an absorb cap like the wizard's Force Armor, and the number has to be something intuitive. The pet's base health as the value seems to make sense. There's no other number to draw from.

The few tests that I did seem to confirm the formula is correct, at least for zombie dogs.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/4/2012 5:40 AM PDT
There's always a chance that my calculation could be wrong. It is all based on guesswork, but I at least try to use some common sense and logic in guessing the formula, taking into account how the wizard's Force Armor works as well.

There must be an absorb cap like the wizard's Force Armor, and the number has to be something intuitive. The pet's base health as the value seems to make sense. There's no other number to draw from.

The few tests that I did seem to confirm the formula is correct, at least for zombie dogs.

I agree with that and your formula is accurate for the data you collected. Even if its not 100% precise, it is closer then anything else I have seen and I thank you for the work you put into it. I was thinking I misunderstood something or had an error in my algebra.

I agree with that and your formula is accurate for the data you collected. Even if its not 100% precise, it is closer then anything else I have seen and I thank you for the work you put into it. I was thinking I misunderstood something or had an error in my algebra.

Yeah np, it really bothered me that Force Armor didn't work as advertised and has a catch, so I tried really hard to find out the formula. But if anyone can figure out a more accurate formula please share your findings so that I can check. But yeah, I think Blizzard are sadists for withholding the info...

As for one-shotting zombie dogs, yes it does seem like it requires an obscene amount considering even barbarians cannot survive Fallen Maniacs.

For the Zombie Dogs

For the Gargantuan.

Demon, your math on the Garg Health is off. It should be 61800.

Those one shot numbers are also very high as Dmg Reduction from Armor * Dmg Reduction from Resists = 0.9 is a pretty defensive build (close to 70% damage reduction from both Armor and Resists).
Edited by agentj73#1159 on 9/4/2012 3:19 PM PDT
sticky D:
Just killed Diablo on inferno with my pet doc. thanks for all the great advice
09/04/2012 09:12 PMPosted by Darf
Just killed Diablo on inferno with my pet doc. thanks for all the great advice

Congrats! If you don't mind sharing your current stats and build, I'll link your post to the front page so that people have an idea on how much stats they need to beat Diablo.
Anyone know if burning dogs' damage stacks with the fire skill bonus the burning axe of sankis provides?
I have been trying to move around stats to get more damage while still keeping my life regen at about 1600 or so and keeping my defensive stats up.

I recently acquired a Sky Splitter (legendary axe) with the following stats:
952.1 dps
217-504 holy damage
+44% damage
190 dex
183 int
10% attack speed
589 life regen
19% chance to smite enemies when you hit them (not sure exactly what this does)

Would it be worth using if I could then drop life regen from other items to gain more int, vit, all resist, or some combination of the 3.

Having trouble deciding on which rune to use for Spirit Walk and Swarm of Locusts. Would it be worth testing Severance for Spirit Walk. Right now it's a toss up between Jaunt and Healing Journey just wondering if anyone thinks Severance might be worth a shot. As for Swarm of Locusts it's between Pestilence and Searing Locusts. Kinda leaning towards Pestilence if it works the way I think it does. Does it make it spread faster? If so it seems like that would be better for Cyadea and large packs. Interested in hearing other peoples opinions on the matter.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]