Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

90 Blood Elf Warlock
I leveled up to Para 1 today on my WD. I went full on pet tank build. Meaning tons of health and tons of regen. Using Stinker, I had to resummon him maybe twice over 5-6 hours total play time. The only reason he died was from elites that hit insanely hard with their abilities (i.e. cows that charge, tree poison pods, etc).

So 1.0.4 has brought some real love to the pets (so much that I actually fear a nerf). I can't even begin to express how happy I am that the WD is now a proper pet class.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Caz-1594/hero/812865

That's my WD. It appears it hasn't fully updated the info, but most of it is current. With almost 66k health I can take crazy amounts of damage and my pets shrug off all but the most insane damage.
I replaced Fetish Army with Zombie Dogs Leeching Dogs.

I just used Leeching Zombie dogs in act 2 and they were fine, except against these things in the dungeons which spawn poison clouds. These things aren't even enemies, they don't spawn enemies, but the AI always attacks them... It would be fine if they just didn't attack anything.

Probably similar problems with any other poison cloud releasing jerks such as act 1 tree poison pods and the enemies in act 2 that release poison on death.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Read some of the posts in the thread and thought I'd share some info.

What I foresee are two primary methods of building the Pet Doctor: Glass Cannon and Uber Tank.

The Cannon is, of course, going to dish out crazy damage, but their pets aren't going to be able to take hits for anything. This is play style I won't be able to comment much on because I don't care for it.

The Tank, however, will be the one that has insane staying power. The pets will rarely die, they'll bring absurd amounts of damage and they will keep you from most harm (darn you mortars!!). This will also be the build that will allow for the greatest choice in runes for our pets. Leeching Beast is clearly powerful, especially if you're already running with high regen. I'm not 100% sure, but I think LB heals Gargy, too. Gargy's rune is going to be primarily a personal preference. I can see three runes being popular: Cleave Gargy, Stinker Gargy and Ragemode Gargy. All dependent on play style and the mood of the player that day.

Loading up on Vit and regen will make a HUGE difference with elites (bosses are kinda easy anyway). I was slammed with two mortars because I was jailed and SW was on CD. My screen never even flashed red. The high health will beef up the pets like crazy. The regen will just reinforce that (with the Loyalty passive). SW:Healing Journey can give a quick boost to pet health in a fight when you can't get any orbs. Haunt: Consuming Spirit is also a great way to keep constant extra regen flowing while in a fight. With 3-5 elites running around, with fire chains, plagues or molten, my pets are shrugging off the damage likes it's a walk on the beach.

My DPS is low right now because I haven't been playing for the past 2-3 months. So what you see in my profile there is less than 140k in gear that was purchased today.

The stats I focus on:

Defensive - Vit >Regen > % Life > Life Steal (since loh doesn't play friendly with dot type spells)
Offensive - Both Crits > INT > other (attack speed doesn't speed up dot ticks that I'm aware of)

That provides insane survivability with some solid damage output. The pets themselves are actually doing almost half the damage in most fights. You'll notice a distinct lack of resist all. I've found that so far, I'm not needing it. That might change, but I don't foresee that happening right now.

Hope his helps those that are struggling with some of the elites. :)
I am currently using:

Fire pit
Searing Locusts
Burning Dogs
Humongoid
Spirit walk with Healing Journey
Horrify with Frightening Aspect

Zombie Handler
Jungle Fortitude
Fierce Loyalty

The only 2 things I know I am keeping are the dogs and gargantuan but I am not 100% sure on the runes for either. Every other slot is open for change. Im trying to keep it with the 2 pets, 2 defensive/escape abilities, and 2 offensive abilities.

My gear is horrible. I have high life regen but everything else sucks. I think getting my dps up at this point is the most important but I don't know where to start. Wondering if it might be better to go with a 2 hander at this point or drop the shield for a mojo.

Looking for people's opinions on what I could change to make it better. Thanks for any help!
Try this out guys:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRYTXg!adX!bbccYc

Farmed 2 runs though Act 3 with it with out much problem.

It is kinda slow...may be my dps but you won't die if you have the appropriate gear.

Only time pets died was to electrified....seems that still hits pets pretty hard.
Edited by Cognus87#1684 on 8/21/2012 8:11 PM PDT
This class is what made me want to play diablo in the first place! Im glad zombie dogs can survive much longer maybe I should switch to full vit and regen hmmmm....

I can't play for some reason it says it needs patch =/
then again work never lets me play diablo.
Just doing great with this act 3 300mf farming solo build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WfXTUY!aXe!bcYYaY
despite trying to pump my crit hit/dmg, i can't really get sacrifice to kill everything. i just end up petless and squishy. going back to my old tank gear for 1.03 pet survivability, i do much better. i'm just playing around with dps and trying to see how low i can set my defenses without my pets dieing.

i love the ragemode garg because u can re-summon him to reset his rage cd. i should try the temporary one sometime.
08/21/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Terihlon
i love the ragemode garg because u can re-summon him to reset his rage cd. i should try the temporary one sometime.

I was thinking about doing this route also.
This class is what made me want to play diablo in the first place! Im glad zombie dogs can survive much longer maybe I should switch to full vit and regen hmmmm....

Yeah same problem happened to me. Try these steps.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5870687669
90 Blood Elf Warlock

If you're a fan of pet classes like I am, then vit/regen is the way to go for Pet Doctor. I love that my pets are miniature nuke tanks. Lets me sit back and just relax. lol
Also anyone know how often Bruiser pops his stun/ 200% attack?
10 sec cooldown for Bruiser
Well just had a nice test run of my pets and the good news is, pets are indeed very very durable. They can even stand in plague pools in a 4-WD party. They do die, but only due to an obscene amount of stuff.

The bad news is, due to the reduced proc rate of CCs, WE are now more squishy.

So now we have to change our strategy, and gear up to protect ourselves. Vitality is important for our own survivability.
Noticed the Fire stuff from A2 (the spindly 4 legged bhaal wannabes with the 4 dmg types). Fire based ones do absurd dmg to pets still. You can tell the HP/Regen factor is about all thats keeping them alive longer but they still melt away almost instantly. That is with 20k hp on my end and 1.2k life regen... im sure 40k+ with 2k regen would manage better but they just don't last vs em to good. Garg shined there (though he still dies quickly) just from the larger health pool.
Really miss my CC but I love how many options we have now. Sacrificing dogs is too awesome.
Currently farming Act 1, need more damage and health. My pets survive fine in the later acts, its me who's having trouble -_-.

Currently running with:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SgTYVU!!ccZccc

Probably not ideal but still EZ mode. I'm thinking inferno may need a buff.
sacrificing dogs just isn't killing fast enough in higher acts. i think i just need much higher dps for it to work.
Hello guys,

What would be the ideal DPS to run Act 3 with a pet tanking build? Also, what stats do you guys think I need to improve on?

Thanks and good day!
Green Goblins are the bane of my pets in ACT III, 1 hit Ko all the way.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]