Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

Hello guys,

What would be the ideal DPS to run Act 3 with a pet tanking build? Also, what stats do you guys think I need to improve on?

Thanks and good day!

Well we don't know the ideal dps yet. As long as you have enough dps to kill elites before they enrage, then your dps is enough.

The ideal dps will be to have just enough pet survivability to clear all of Inferno, and then dedicating the rest of the stats to dps.

But looking at your profile, your intelligence and weapon dps is similar to mine. Maybe change one of your passive skills (Jungle Fortitude) to a dps one like Pierce the Veil, and start farming.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 8/22/2012 1:05 AM PDT
beat diablo on inferno with 5 stacks... pretty comfortable with my current situation... i would like higher LoH tho...

not sure how i feel about soul harvest.
I just wanna say hi to all pet masters.

I just switched from 1.03 VQ Bears WD -> 1.04 Hybrid DPS Pet Tank WD.

My 1.04 build atm (I call it my "I need lots of friends" build):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bRUZYT!adV!caabYc

I have some strange rune choices (e.g blazing spideys). I am just experimenting (working fine atm).

I find that I can still farm act 3 with no problem (0 deaths) after 3 x full act 3 runs. Slower than my pre 1.04 VQ Bears WD run (~40 mins), but can still manage ~60 mins with no skipping. I could probably manage faster once I get use to this new pet business.

Cheers fellow dog walkers :>
08/21/2012 02:49 AMPosted by Peter
Gargantuan gains 100% of the player's health, 150% at level 60 (needs more confirmation.)

Bro, Blizzard phrase it wrongly, it add 50% Life at L60.
Btw fellow pet masters, do try to farm act 3/4 for Paragon XP. Way more XP. I am gonna give up act 1 and 2, too little xp. Also, remember to put your red gem onto your helm. :>
Melark, i calculated it take about 750-900 hr to level from L1-100 Parago

I suggest for more causal people, wear MF to the cap and farm at Act 1/2/3, dont think too much about getting to L100.

An average 3 hr will take 250-300 days
08/22/2012 01:17 AMPosted by Sam
Gargantuan gains 100% of the player's health, 150% at level 60 (needs more confirmation.)

Bro, Blizzard phrase it wrongly, it add 50% Life at L60.

I don't know, feels like more than 50%.

"At level 60, the Gargantuan will receive an additional 50% of the player’s Maximum Life"

Additional 50% at level 60. That means before level 60, they have something else, but I don't know what.
I haven't tried my WD yet on patch 1.04 but may be only me love the concept of Pet WD of 1.03 more than 1.04..

For 1.03, it is very challenging to keep your pets alive by stacking CC, armor, resist, dodge and life gen. They can tank pretty well while also generating high DPS by stacking bleed. I am now missing the time I killed Belial with my pets stacking insane bleed damge and downed him less than 7 mins. But now for 1.04, they are all gone..

Blizz nerfed proc rate of ZD and Garg to hell. Their role now is only being a meat wall for us, not much improving our DPS (except Sacrificing your ZD) and saving us through LoH proc anymore.

When I am back home fro work today, i will try farming act 1 and act 2 with my current MF gears and let's see how well my pets can do their role. Not so sure I should left bleed behind and move on to IAS/ crit dmg and core stats for instead..

But life is to change. I have to find my own fav pet build that fits my play style for 1.04.
Just found out that Fierce Loyalty works great with + extra helath globe too :D
My pets immediately return to full health once I eat a health globe ^ ^
Edited by Zegapain#3912 on 8/22/2012 1:42 AM PDT
"At level 60, the Gargantuan will receive an additional 50% of the player’s Maximum Life"

Additional 50% at level 60. That means before level 60, they have something else, but I don't know what.

Meaning L40 they have 40%, L20 have 30% etc

Their base is abt 30k so say you have 50k hp + 20% more from Zombie handler, Your Garg will reach 66k hp which is about twice as much as below 1.03. Maybe that y :X
Edited by Sam#2192 on 8/22/2012 1:47 AM PDT

Their base is abt 30k so say you have 50k hp + 20% more from Zombie handler, Your Garg will reach 66k hp which is about twice as much as below 1.03. Maybe that y :X

Would be nice to get some official clarification. But in the end, I may have to test the real formula.
It not easy to caclulate the Life as Garg have life regan now.
Hello guys,

What would be the ideal DPS to run Act 3 with a pet tanking build? Also, what stats do you guys think I need to improve on?

Thanks and good day!

Well we don't know the ideal dps yet. As long as you have enough dps to kill elites before they enrage, then your dps is enough.

The ideal dps will be to have just enough pet survivability to clear all of Inferno, and then dedicating the rest of the stats to dps.

But looking at your profile, your intelligence and weapon dps is similar to mine. Maybe change one of your passive skills (Jungle Fortitude) to a dps one like Pierce the Veil, and start farming.

Elites no longer enrage.
You don't need Fierce Loyalty for that. Pets gain health globe heals automatically. This will lead to potential builds around GoTD:Death Is Life / Gruesome Feast / Pickup Radius in future.

I have over +10k extra helath globe on my gear but the heal from helath globe is just too little before I start using Fierce Loyalty. You can see the difference :D
any advise of what build to use in 1.0.4?
thnks in advance
08/22/2012 01:52 AMPosted by Sam
It not easy to caclulate the Life as Garg have life regan now.

They already had Life Regeneration previously. I did not test this, but if removing my gear with vitality will drop the gargantuan's life, it may be easier to test it.

08/22/2012 01:58 AMPosted by Nox
Elites no longer enrage.

I forgot about that. This is most excellent news.

any advise of what build to use in 1.0.4?
thnks in advance

You can use your current build, any pet build you had previously should do better in 1.0.4 and will work.

As for me personally, I plan to go the thorns approach.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 8/22/2012 2:19 AM PDT
Hi guys! Instead of going with a kiting approach, I'm currently testing a short range caster build, while using my pets to keep me away from the bad guys. I am not primarily focused on Pets (gear wise) - but am having trouble with reflected mobs. Granted my Plague Bat experiment is a culprit, but using Big Stinker/Burning Dogs seems to slowly kill me (not sure what pets my profile shows, been trying to swap them up every run today). Was this the case before (during 1.03)?

Would it be wise to steer clear of the "AoE" pets?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]