Diablo® III

So Many Dialogue Errors:Severe Disappointment

Is it just me or does it seem like some of the folks at Blizzard did not do a good job of quality control when it comes to dialogue errors with followers and NPCs? All you have to do is run a speed playtest with a PC, tripping all of the prerequisites manually. They're overtly obvious. I've counted at least three as a female DH and four as a male WD.

Why on earth am I encountering these? Did no one at Blizzard bother to playtest these two PCs for basic, basic problems like this?

You know, I can understand and have some patience for things like combat, leveling or power-calibrating issues. Those can be complex and get worked out with time. But this? Is lazy. I think that it's a real touchstone for how this game does not meet the bar set by DI and DII.

If I am supposed to care and invest any kind of thought or feeling into the story while I am playing, why were these blatant errors not corrected prior to release? Because they sure as heck throw me out of enjoying the character dialogue that *makes up the story*. Like the WD, whose voice-acting I think is really superb, replies a one-liner to Tyeal instead of an inspirational bit of wisdom to Leah. Pisses me off.

These moments remind me that this game is the bottom of the barrel, the lowest common denominator of the Diablo franchise: hack-n-slash, point-n-click. As long as the basic criteria are met, people will open their wallets. Who cares about the player's experience of the story?

I'm happy to play DIII for the mindless, monster-slaying idiocy that it has become, since that helps me decompress at the end of the day. But I am disappointed and ashamed that this has become the only reason I play this game.

It didn't start out that way. I initially swore to all my friends I would not buy DIII because of the "always-online" bull. I played and replayed DI & DII for the single-player game; I almost always do single-player gaming *when I don't have internet to spend time with friends*. So why buy DIII? I told all of my friends my reasoning as a way of expressing my real anger with Blizzard, strongly suggesting that they *not* buy the game.

(Jim Sterling at The Escapist did a great job of encapsulating my feelings, and I'm very aware that I'm not alone in having them.)

A couple made up of two of my best friends bought me the game, however, just so that I could spend time in the same virtual space with them. They live on the other side of the country and I rarely see them in person these days. In DIII, we could share space together through our characters. But they are even more disappointed in this game than I am. They don't play it much anymore. The essential reason that I own this game is moot. And their gift to me, which in reality was the wonderful gift of spending time together in-game and on Vent, cost them far more real money than this game deserves. This is what makes me angriest of all.

So I play the game single-player and realize how its quality from the get-go was miles beneath my original low expectations. I really hate to have my first impression confirmed like this, with a crowbar to the face. I suppose I should thank you, Blizzard, for not failing to disappoint since I can now be smug and bitter about my prediction and justify those feelings firsthand.

Blizzard developers: going forward, please take pride in your work. Remember the heritage of the awesome things you have created. Make a game that is truly great rather than one that is great at giving you high profit incomes.

Please do this, because there are people out here who care about your games much more than you seem to. We hope that you care about *us* as much as, or even more than, you care about your continuous rivers of revenue.
Edited by BWWooster#1564 on 8/18/2012 10:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/18/2012 10:04 PMPosted by BWWooster
These moments remind me that this game is the bottom of the barrel, the lowest common denominator of the Diablo franchise: hack-n-slash, point-n-click. As long as the basic criteria are met, people will open their wallets. Who cares about the player's experience of the story?

Essentially that was Blizzard's thinking. I think we all know the one man who is to blame here: Chris Metzen and his crew.
Reply Quote
97 Blood Elf Hunter
Chris Metzen should be fired.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]