Diablo® III

What CPU is better???

Like to get the opinion of the community, on which processor is better for gaming AMD or Intel. The only reason I ask is for the past 15 years of gaming every computer I built always had AMD processor in them. With today processors I just trying figure wish is a better route to go, when it comes to gaming.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Intel hands down today
Reply Quote
intel

only go amd if you want to go cheap
Reply Quote
I go Intel for all the top-end gaming rigs I build for myself & my friends/family. I still do recommend AMD for some budgets though.

For Intel cpu's I have the Core i7-3770k, i7-2600k, Core2 Quad Q9450 (all 3 are quad cores)
For AMD I have the Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, X4 955, Athlon X2 250, & the 64FX-55
AMD procs are lower in terms of overall performance, but they are still solid cpu's

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I wouldn't really use CPUBenchmark website as any reliable indicator of the real CPU performance, but that's just me.

AMD used to have stronghold with budget builds when Intel first came with i-series CPUs (Nehalem), but Sandy Bridge Pentiums and i3s have all but removed whatever advantage AMD had in budget arena. The Sandy Bridge Pentiums compete with AMD's best in gaming, and i3 beats them.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't really use CPUBenchmark website as any reliable indicator of the real CPU performance, but that's just me.

AMD used to have stronghold with budget builds when Intel first came with i-series CPUs (Nehalem), but Sandy Bridge Pentiums and i3s have all but removed whatever advantage AMD had in budget arena. The Sandy Bridge Pentiums compete with AMD's best in gaming, and i3 beats them.

I disagree, i will take my 4.4 ghz fx 4100 over your comparatively priced i3 anyday
Reply Quote
You can get a better bang for your buck by getting a cheap fx chip and overclocking the heck out of it. Once overclocked, you will get acceptable single core performance (still not as good as an i3) and superior multithreading performance, which is the route that most games are beginning to take now.
Reply Quote

I disagree, i will take my 4.4 ghz fx 4100 over your comparatively priced i3 anyday

Same here. I'm a die-hard, high-end Intel gamer & overclocker (at least for the past 5 years when I switched to Intel from AMD), but AMD offers way more "bang for your buck" in the low-range & some in the mid-range for budget builds. Best versus best - Intel wins hands down. But AMD Athlons, Phenom II's, & FX/Bulldozer chips can all outperform Intel CPU's of the same price
Reply Quote
Intel 100%, AMD is pretty bad. There architecture design is at least a generation behind Intel's current i Series chips. However depending on the price point AMD can offer some good deals, especially for visual media computers however if you're building a gaming PC Intel always comes out on top.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Same here. I'm a die-hard, high-end Intel gamer & overclocker (at least for the past 5 years when I switched to Intel from AMD), but AMD offers way more "bang for your buck" in the low-range & some in the mid-range for budget builds. Best versus best - Intel wins hands down. But AMD Athlons, Phenom II's, & FX/Bulldozer chips can all outperform Intel CPU's of the same price

Pentium G630 is $68.
That CPU currently competes with best of what AMD has to offer in gaming:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-6.html
Edited by Ehrengarde#1143 on 8/20/2012 9:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Did I not read very recently that amd is pulling out of the race with intel? We are looking at the last cpu's they will make right now. Correct me please.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
08/22/2012 02:55 AMPosted by supersonic
Did I not read very recently that amd is pulling out of the race with intel? We are looking at the last cpu's they will make right now. Correct me please.

They aren't exactly saying it; just that they are no longer focused on beating Intel. AMD's roadmap shifted to APU and homogenous computing, not a single best CPU.

They will continue to produce desktop CPUs. Piledriver is coming up next.
Edited by Ehrengarde#1143 on 8/22/2012 10:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
08/22/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Kalganized

They aren't exactly saying it; just that they are no longer focused on beating Intel. AMD's roadmap shifted to APU and homogenous computing, not a single best CPU.

I'm not expecting Piledriver to be the second coming or anything like that, but it is shaping up to be a really nice processor, and a decent alternative to Intel for those of us that don't want to deal with Intel. Will it beat the fastest Intel processors? Probably not, but if it can hang in there with the i5's AMD will be in pretty good shape...as that's all a processor needs to do to be more than enough for gaming.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
They recently hired back one of the main architects behind the original runaway hit, K7, and the second runaway hit, Athlon 64. Unfortunately, as you probably know with CPU architecture design, any work he does won't be seen for two years+. :(

http://www.techpowerup.com/169797/Computer-Architect-Jim-Keller-Joins-AMD-as-Chief-of-Processor-Group.html

I hope he brings back that old K7 / K8 magic.
Edited by Ehrengarde#1143 on 8/22/2012 9:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I bought an AMD 965 BE 3.4 when they were still $200. It still plays everything I throw at it with ease. Metro, Skyrim, anything. What I did do however was get a mobo that was set up for SLI rather than deal with the !@#$ty drivers on an ATI/AMD card.

I run my processor stock with a gtx 460 768mb version and 4gb of 1600 ripjaw ram and can not find a game to slow it down.

I do not have anything against Intel, I just have had really good luck with AMD. I havent even needed to OC the 965.

for $109.99, it is a steal.
Reply Quote
Why would you wanna OC a AMD chip, put stress on the cpu, and without proper cooling, you can burn up? Why not spend an extra 100$ and grab a i5, or a high i3. i7's are pricey, but damn, these things fly. If you're going to OC, do it on an Intel. AMD is not worth the trouble.
Reply Quote
08/22/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Mogrigg

I'm not expecting Piledriver to be the second coming or anything like that, but it is shaping up to be a really nice processor, and a decent alternative to Intel for those of us that don't want to deal with Intel. Will it beat the fastest Intel processors? Probably not, but if it can hang in there with the i5's AMD will be in pretty good shape...as that's all a processor needs to do to be more than enough for gaming.

AMD also said that the Bulldozer would be better than most of the i5-i7s. It was joke, it was comparable to a high grade i3, or a low i5. AMD has A LOT of catching up to do. If they want to be on performance terms, they need to step it up. Intel hands down.
Reply Quote
I've always gone with AMD chips when I build my computers, my friends constantly told me that I should really go for an Intel chip the last time that I built a new computer so I finally decided to go with a nice i7. I'll be honest with you here... The only difference that I notice is...

The price. Yes, I'm totally serious.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]