Diablo® III

Zombie Dogs still being one-shot?

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but Inferno Skeleton King was taking out my dogs (100% -> 0) in one swipe of his 3-swing special move. Thought they put a cap on the damage they could take per hit.
Reply Quote
Hmmm interesting. They also die quickly to the exploding goblins in Act 3.
Reply Quote
Some skills from the Monsters/ Elites/ Bosses are damn strong. Can 1hko everyone.

Act 2 mosquitoes.
Act 4. There is this Mob that drops from the sky. They can charge at you
Reply Quote
08/22/2012 02:34 AMPosted by authmn
Some skills from the Monsters/ Elites/ Bosses are damn strong. Can 1hko everyone.

there was supposed to be a damage cap so that dogs will take at least a few hits
Reply Quote
Certain mobs are definitely 1 hitting dogs from full health. Sometimes several of them at once. It seems to be special attacks that are doing it. The big bull monsters in act 3 will charge my garg and dogs and pop them all at point blank range n one go, which really sucks for a pet build. Considering I have no recourse but to run away when I see him doing the charge animation and pray my pets come with me, these kinds of things need to be adjusted.

Yeah, the green suiciding guys in act 3 also will one hit kill them all. There's quite a few things that do it, but they all seem to be attacks other than standard melee attacks.
Edited by Niil#1675 on 8/22/2012 4:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 shot? I was using life leach rune and zombie handler + jungle fort and they tanked Ghom and Siegebreaker without dying...
Reply Quote
Saw this happening again in the pony level. It was me against 1 champion pony. I summoned a fresh pack of dogs and he killed them using only one hit for each dog.
Reply Quote
Ghom has nothing that 1 shots them. With almost no resists and ~4.5k armor, the only thing that actually killed them was the bile he spews at close range. Even then that attack wasn't instantaneous. It ticked numerous times before they died. I can't speak for the other folks here, but I'm talking 1 shot attacks. A single of the exploding guys will instantly kill all dogs for me (the guys on the way to ghom in the basement of the keep). It happened to me several times. Also the bull-like mobs in the frozen caves in act 3 out beyond the bridge, their melee wouldn't kill dogs in one shot, but their charge would. And it wouldn't just kill one, it would kill any in the area that it charged to instantly, even garg. I found a lot of those types of things. Non-melee attacks that would instagib the dogs and garg that is bypassing the maximum damage value they're supposed to be taking.
Reply Quote
I noticed this in Pony land.

Pony runs up, and dogs die.

I just thought it was becasue they were act 3 mobs.

But now, I am second guessing it that thought. They were tanking all the flowers and bears no problem, just the ponys were killing them.

Hmm
Reply Quote
Might NOT be a bug, if zombie dogs' damage cap works like wizard's Force Armor. Since one of the early patch, the damage that can be reduced by Force Armor is limited by the total health of the wizard. This might just be the case for zombie dogs.
Reply Quote
i'm using them w/out the pet passives and they were tanking a3 all nite. for whimsy i have to stick with my old spec but drop ptv in exchange for gf and no pets. can still spam bats sort of but my base dps drops 10k (and even more so with SH) but is still 10k over what i need to clear whimsy.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 8/22/2012 5:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
the force armor was stated in the notes that they would make it only take 35% dmg off of the 10k hp alone not factoring the bonus from your health or animal handler so i'm guessing its not quite right as it is now.
Reply Quote
the force armor was stated in the notes that they would make it only take 35% dmg off of the 10k hp alone not factoring the bonus from your health or animal handler so i'm guessing its not quite right as it is now.

Exactly. Meaning they would need to take at minimum 3 hits for max damage to kill them.

I wonder if some mobs that have special attacks, are getting though the force armor.

IE exploding mobs dont have an "attack" so it 1 shots them?
Reply Quote
08/22/2012 05:27 AMPosted by Wakeman
Might NOT be a bug, if zombie dogs' damage cap works like wizard's Force Armor. Since one of the early patch, the damage that can be reduced by Force Armor is limited by the total health of the wizard. This might just be the case for zombie dogs.

Going by the formula on the Witch Doctor preview page:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6923459/Patch_104_Preview_Witch_Doctor-8_16_2012
[base dog health] * [unmitigated damage from armor] * [unmitigated damage from resists]

... and my current stats:
Health = 39,791
Armor reduction % = 47.80
Physical resistance % = 53.42

Plug that into the formula:
10,000 * .5220 * .4658 = ~2432 damage per hit

With my current health, the dogs should have:
10,000 + (39,791 * .35) = ~23,927 HP

With that info, the dogs should be taking at LEAST 9 hits before they die, which is most definitely not the case currently.
Reply Quote
force armor has a limit i believe. if the dmg goes over the total hp, then force armor doesn't apply. fallen maniac in a3 does so much dmg it goes over the total hp.
Reply Quote
im gonna just go out and say it. they are dieing because your gear is bad. :/ they scale off of you. so if you only have 30k hp, 151 AR and like 20k dps? they arent exactly gonna be pro..

add me and i might be able to hook you up with a couple upgrades.
Reply Quote
I was having the same issue as everyone else with the maniacs. 1st maniac would kill my pets and then I would die. Easily spent over 100K in reapirs yesterday in Act III. Ghom and Siegebreaker no sweat one shotted w/o a pet dying. Makes no sense.
Reply Quote
You can blame it on someone having crappy gaer, but the math still doesnt work.

Lets say you were level 60, and had 0 HP. (Just for the sake of it).

Dogs have 10k base. Since you have 0 HP they will still have only 10k hp.

Lets also say you have 55% dmg reduction from armor, and a crappy 30% reduction from all resist.

Max dmg dog can take is 10,000 * .45 * .7 =3150.

So even with 0 HP, that zombie dog has to take 4 hits to die.

Now, if we do the same math but assume the WD has 30k hp (which is low) then the dog would have to take 6.5 hits from the same mob to die.

I can gaurantee you, that with 4 dogs, there is no way the ponys were getting 6.5 hits off to kill them. With only 1 pony, that would take 26 hits to kill off all my dogs assuming no life regen, yet the ponys were killing them in a matter of seconds.

Something is obviously not working with some mobs.
Reply Quote
Obviously, force armor is not designed to reduce the incoming damage to 35% all the time. It might work a bit different for pets but the actual force armor for wizards will not save them if the incoming damage is more than 200% of the hp after the mitigation. It took forever for average wizards to understand and now it sounds like WDs are having trouble understand the concept. The concept is basically too complex.

It is not a bug.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]