Diablo® III

Crazy WD zombie dog build (will get nerfed)

there are these items that reduce zombie dog cool downs.

stone of jordan -8s
skull grasps -8s
homunculus -20s
Mara's Kaleidoscope -8s
voodoo hat -9s

potential total = -43s

I think i'm missing another item that can reduce the cooldown, but -43s is still pretty insane.

required skills/passives:
zombie dogs (any rune)
sacrifice (next of kin - potential zombie dogs on death of zombie dog)
circle of life (zombie dogs spawn of enemy kill)
zombie handler (4 max zombie dogs)

skills/passives for consideration:
mass confusion (devolution - for more zombie dogs)
big bad voodoo (zombie dogs on kill w/ in radius)
pierce the veil (increases damage)
Reply Quote
sacrifice has no cooldown either, so just summon zombie dogs to the area that needs to be cleared, then run off screen and spam sacrifice

this will probably work better if there is a tank that is aggro'ing mobs
Reply Quote
Forgot Tribal Rites. -25% Cooldown, so it goes to like 34 seconds. So you'd really just need -34s for a 0 second cooldown. I have to admit this is an interesting idea. I'll definitely work towards this at some point.
Reply Quote
More synergy: Get the zombie dog rune that drops health globes, and the passive that gives you +10% int per globe collected.

Pew pew!
Reply Quote
with circle of life and final gift on the dogs people are already reporting massive health globe spawn rates.... so definitely go with circle of life and gruesome feast. I question whether zombie handler is even necessary - although I suppose more explosions at a time is better.

Still... it sounds promising
Reply Quote
The damage on sacrafice isn't really that great. I ran sacrafice earlier and there's a small cast animation, so with the summon zombie dog cast animation it might not have the same DPS output compared to other spells. It's also semi-difficult to control where the damage is going to be. The biggest perk would be stacking damage bonus using the Sacrafice rune that provides 5% dmg per dog for 30s.
Reply Quote
Would like to see it in action, but I don't think it's close to OP.
I'm sure they had that build in mind as a fun build when they created those new legendaries. With them you will have half the screen DPS of other WDs at best. Alternating between casting dogs and Sacrifice will lower your DPS even more.

It will work pretty nicely but not better than other builds -> fun build, not OP.
Reply Quote
Been testing a sacrifice build with mana regain rune with zombie dogs at 7sec cd. Sacrifice will never do more damage than a consistent bear spam so the mana regain rune or probably the + damage rune makes most sense to me. The only draw back to the build is that using homunculus reduces my dps by 10k. The good thing is that you don't need any mana reg items or passives to get it to work and still use all the mana intensive skills you like etc locust, acid rain, bears. Damage won't be as consistent as the old acidrain/bears/vq but still pretty fun build. Running with gruesome feast, tribal rites, and jungle fortitude. If you get the full reduce zombie dogs cd gear I suppose you can free up for ptv or whatever you prefer. Soul harvest siphon + gruesome feast syncs well. My gear isn't too optimised yet but should be able to hit 30k dps as a acid rain/bears tank doctor. I don't think it does more damage than current LoHskill/bears/vq builds since you lack a strong mojo but i guess you get more health globes from dogs lol.
Edited by KuMarKia#6407 on 8/23/2012 3:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Another synergy with homunculus is the Restless Giant Garg rune. With Tribal Rites and a 20 sec CD reduction from the homunculus, you can bring Garg to 25 sec CD. His enrage lasts for 15 seconds and resummoning him against elites causes him to enrage again. So against elites he is enraged for almost the entire time you are fight them.

Just to give you an idea of the added damage he gives:
300% physical damage at 1.35 attacks per second = 405% physical damage per second for 15 seconds. Plus, this damage is completely passive, so you can spam your other abilities.

I can't think of any other spell that provides this much passive damage. Also, summon ZD and sacrifice do have a bit of a cast time; though, you can summon ZD while the old ones are being sacrificed. With enough CD reduction of ZD, you can summon new ones as the old ones are dying.
Reply Quote
They fixed resummoning for enrage.
Reply Quote
No they didn't. Tested it out just a second ago to be sure. I noticed something earlier today though. If he enrages against a pack or a group of 5+ enemies and then engages another pack or group of 5+ enemies, he does not enrage again regardless of resummoning. If he enrages and then is summoned again against the same pack of enemies, he resets his enrage timer. So against bosses and tough packs, the enrage reset works.
Reply Quote
The build is incredibly expensive if you want to get close to 0 seconds. Maintaining high dps with some of the mediocre items is not easy at all. Each dog only does 275% weapon damage which isn't going to blow your mind as far as dps is concerned.

Without question, it's a fun way to build a witch doctor but no where near broken in terms of power when we have barbs and demon hunters steam rolling everything with standard builds.
Reply Quote
Fun build that I wanted to do, but its stupid expensive and soj and mara do not roll with "reduce zd cooldown" affix. So right now its actually impossible to get it even close to 0 more like 15 sec. If blizzard fixes the soj and mara I might try it, especially with the mana return sacrifice as suggested and then spam bears.
Reply Quote
Just posted this, you guys wanna take a look at it: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6413261669
No need for soj, homonculus+a helm with -cd is enough with the passive.
Reply Quote
cool
Reply Quote
I think this build is so expensive that even if it's OP, I think it should be fine.

I was checking out some Barbarian's build and the profile shows over 200,000 dps with Skorn? WTF?

Just to get the specific -cd from stone of jordan will take like forever unless you want to pay cash?
Reply Quote
08/23/2012 03:19 AMPosted by zeroLuck
The damage on sacrafice isn't really that great. I ran sacrafice earlier and there's a small cast animation, so with the summon zombie dog cast animation it might not have the same DPS output compared to other spells. It's also semi-difficult to control where the damage is going to be. The biggest perk would be stacking damage bonus using the Sacrafice rune that provides 5% dmg per dog for 30s.

This man knows. Sacrifice is terrible damage considering its requirement to cast. I'd like to use it but common sense and experience tells me I'd be more stupid that a Diablo 3 developer if I did.
Reply Quote
08/24/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Praetor
This man knows. Sacrifice is terrible damage considering its requirement to cast. I'd like to use it but common sense and experience tells me I'd be more stupid that a Diablo 3 developer if I did.

Not when you've got the cooldown to 1 second it isn't. It's also great healing too.

Edit:
and soj and mara do not roll with "reduce zd cooldown" affix. So right now its actually impossible to get it even close to 0 more like 15 sec

Bzzt, I've got a 6 second ZD mara. Well, technically the WD I gave it to has it

Edit again:
Finally got a -9s helm, so 0 second cooldown zombie dogs now
Edited by xEvilReeperx#1724 on 8/24/2012 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I want to sell this. Maybe you want it :)

http://loothunter.net/media/screenshots/8514/ekran_alintisi.jpg

http://loothunter.net/eu/sc/item21376
Reply Quote
Yeah, I'm sure the people who were discussing this build a year ago are still trying to make the set work.

/facepalm
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]