Diablo® III

Mawts' 1.04 Witch PROCtor Build (+1 new vid)

UPDATE: 09-07-12
-Uploaded "WD Chicken Run (Heart of Sin Edition)" video: http://youtu.be/K5MfXX_6dws

UPDATE: 09-06-12
-Uploaded "Angry Chicken FUN FUN FUN!" video: http://youtu.be/YI2rPT00CdI
-Changed main build explanation

UPDATE: 09-04-12
-Uploaded "Maximus Fun" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tml-Su2jHUU

UPDATE: 09-01-12
-Changed "Grasp of the Dead - Death is Life" to "Big Bad Voodoo - Rain Dance"
-Updated stats

UPDATE: 08-29-12
-Chose "speed run" build as my single main build
-Changed most of the content and explanations in the guide
-Uploaded new video 1.04 Build speed testing #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Jg9kB-uYY

UPDATE: 08-26-12
-Revamped my speed run skill build for maximum clearing speed and efficiency
-Created link to "speed run" new build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRUdTZ!TYe!caYcab

UPDATE: 08-25-12
-Changed Leeching Dogs to Fire Dogs
-Added "Regular" and "Speed Run" skill builds

UPDATE: 08-23-12
-created "Mawts 1.04 Witch PROCtor Build (w/ video)"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW I CAME UPON THIS BUILD:

After reading the unofficial data mined patch notes, I spent sleepless nights (LOL), finding a very good build for 1.04 WD. I spent hours upon hours of testing , sometimes, with fellow WD forumers.

For those who are new, or aren't familiar with my "PROCtor build", you can view the (reposted) guide somewhere here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6233033487

Let me just show my thought process:
-I want a build that would work with my 1.03 Proctor gear as I don't want to regear, good CC items are hard to find as it is. At the maximum, I'm only willing to regear my weapon.
-I knew that I can't unli spam AC/bears anymore in 1.04 because of VQ change.
-As said by Lylirra, Garg will get a 400% dog buff but it wouldn't proc anymore. That being said, I already assumed the dogs aura proc nerf.
-Slow cast times are being buffed. Making 2-handers a possibility.

Armed with these "given" assumptions, I formulated a Damage potential test (via Siegebreaker kill time).

Base build
Skill: Pure bear spam
Gear: old Mojo and Off hand
DPS: 24k
Time: 1min 10sec

Competitor with the nearest time
Skill: Acid Rain spam
Gear: High Bleed main hand and Shield (both around 30% for 1.4k-2.2k bleed each)
DPS: 21k
Time: 1min 40 sec

RESULT: Bleed has high damage potential when stacked using Acid Rain, even competitive with 708% dmg pure bear spam

This being said, I was already eyeing the new "Skorn" legendary as being, without a doubt, "Best in Slot" for this build. At this point, I was already selling my old main hand and off hand.

So at this point, I knew:
1) Where to get my damage (buffed Acid Cloud damage + bleed stacks) and
2) how to stack it to ridiculous amounts (Acid Cloud proc rate)
3) AC easily clears a room full of mobs with decent base damage.

Since we're gunning for maximum farming efficiency

In my opinion, kill speed is not an issue with the WD, we kill stuff fast.. very fast. But I think mobility has become the main hindrance why WD's fall short when compared to the farming efficiency of other classes (specifically DH and Barb). We only have spirit walk which has a 15 sec CD.

GOAL:
-Create the fastest clearing, sustainable WD build.

PASSIVES

Grave Injustice
The only way we could augment this our lack of mobility is to use Grave Injustice. This will be the single main passive that will allow us to be at par with other speed farming classes. The health gain is a great bonus too, but the CD reduction is what counts the most.

Gruesome Feast
We are going to need a mana source if we are gonna stack bleed via AC. Since most battles will generally be close ranged ones (care of Grave Injustice), I chose Gruesome Feast over VQ, as it provides more mana and wild damage potential when in close pickup range.

Spirit Vessel
One of the best passives in the game. Not only does it give you a "cheat death" every 90 secs, it also reduces the cooldown of Spirit Walk and Soul Harvest, which is will be very important for this build.

SKILLS

Spirit Walk - Severance
Main source of mobility. Not only does it allow us to get from point A to B, it also allows us to get in the middle of mobs while dealing damage in the process. (to get the reduced cool downs via Grave Injustice and health globes for Gruesome Feast), severance is a great damage dealer with 0 casting time.

Soul Harvest - Vengeful Spirit
Since we are gonna be in the middle of mobs anyway using severance (to get the reduced cool downs via Grave Injustice and health globes for Gruesome Feast), Should Harvest is not just very potent way to buff your damage, but a very powerful nuke as well with 0 casting time.

Horrify - Stalker
Very nice +20% movespeed increase (spammable with Grave Injustice combo), and also get's you out of those very sticky situations. You just breeze through farming content with another mobility skill.

Hex - Angry Chicken
Amazing utility skill. Basically, it's horrify stalker rune and Soul Harvest Vengeful Spirit rolled into one skill. It gives AOE damage upon detonation and gives +15% movespeed for 5 seconds. Again, spammable with grave injustice. Gives knockback upon detonation for those sticky situations, also breaks some of the CC's applied to you.

Acid Cloud - Acid Rain
For speed clearing, AOE is king and very good base spell damage as well. AC doesn't only offer that, it also offers AMAZING proc rate which will give you the additional damage and control you need to clear full runs the fastest way possible (via bleed and CC procs).

Fire Bomb - Ghost Bomb
As I said, for speed, AOE is king. Ghost bomb deals decent damage via huge AOE with a almost not existent mana cost, use it to break doors, catch stragglers and spam to bosses when AC is down.

SKILL BUILD AND VIDEOS

Current fastest clearing build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRUdXi!TYe!caYcZb

Angry Chicken FUN FUN FUN!!!: http://youtu.be/YI2rPT00CdI
WD Chicken Run (Heart of Sin Edition): http://youtu.be/K5MfXX_6dws

ITEM BUILD

<http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mawts-1272/hero/1049985>

STAT OVERVIEW

Current basic stats
DPS: ~51k
HP: ~45.2k
Armor: ~3k
All Resist: ~630
EHP: ~363k (via diabloprogress.com)

On hit effects and Procs
LOH: 1064
+95%++ Chance to Bleed on hit for 6-12k++ damage
+4.8% Chance to Blind on hit
+4.5% Chance to Knockback on hit
+4.7% Chance to Stun on hit
+4.5% Chance to Freeze on hit
+5.0% Chance to Immobilize on hit
+4.9% Chance to Chill on hit
+4.5% Chance to Slow on hit
---------------------------------------------
TOTAL via basic probability:
Chance to CC = 1-(.952*.955*.953*.955*.950*.951*.955) = 28.61%
Chance to interrupt = 1-(.952*.955*.953*.955) = 17.26%

FAQ SECTION

This build only works because you have a "Skorn". How am I supposed to afford something like that?
-Well, just before I got mine, I used 2 sets of gear.
a) 1k dps main hand (1.0 attack speed) and shield. both w/ very high bleed damage w/ int and vit. Very good ones are around 5m each.
b) 1.3k DPS 2-hander with int, vit and bleed. I bought it for 800k.
RESULT: both worked surprisingly well, and farms act 3 pretty fast too!
-Quoted from pmark: "I found the HellRack is a cheap alternative to the skorn. I got one for only 500k and it does 6k-12k bleed damage. It is only 38% instead of 95% chance but it is still pretty good."

Why do we need CC's? We have pet tanks already!
-Well, we need as much CC's as we can get because what we want to do is to hold them in place to get the full duration of AC ticks (now that we all know how ridiculous bleed damage is with good proc rate). Also, CC it makes life a lot easier both for sustained damage and increased survivability for both me and my pets. The premise is the to spam AC and hold them in place to maximize cc/bleed procs. The 1.0 attack speed really helps out spamming AC, as you don't go out of mana as often.

How good is bleed really?
-Well, if you watch the video. Proc'ing bleed takes out act 3 whites with 1 cast of AC. I hit them twice if I want them dead instantly. It also takes out elites / bosses in a couple of seconds.

Y U NO BEARS!?!.
-While bears is undoubtedly the best DPS spell we have, AC damage + stacking 12k bleed per tick comes pretty damn close. Not only that, AC clears rooms/hordes faster than bears because of the large AOE (if you have enough DPS).
Edited by Mawts#1272 on 9/29/2012 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey bud. free bump. I had to settle for a slightly less then optimal skorn because HOLY #@%! they are expensive.

Check my version

http://d3db.com/calculator/i/witch-doctor
Reply Quote
good post. great to know acid rain has dmg potential vs. bears. thanks for sharing.
Reply Quote
@mawts - I love you, you're a genius but dam I was hoping you were still on hiatus becuase I was trying to scrounge up bleed items before you made them trendy :) actually proc gear in general ...

And since the cat is out of the bag. RoT has a huge benefit of passing through walls against waller elites. Granted with as many procs as Mawts, walls might not even get cast, but that ability of RoT makes it pretty useful for those specific cases.
Edited by JookSingJai#1628 on 8/23/2012 6:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
:) Good to see Proctor Build is still a viable choice.
Reply Quote
I'm saving up for a Skorn as well. 2Hs are completely viable with my spec. I'm using spiders/bears. Stuff just falls over.
Reply Quote
Thanks for your sharing, Mawts. Honestly, I check this forum hourly just to know your choices after the patch.

I tried several builds to go through act 3 but the old cc/acid/bear/vq build is like a charm to me. Acid rain is amazing skill and I glad that you can keep using it after the patch.

Currently I am using rot/acid/bear, cast acid or bear until run out of mana then spam RoT (to keep alive) while waiting for mana regen. I will try your build soon.

Why don't you use Bruiser Gargantuan and Burning Dogs. You seem to be too OP for act 3, killing elites so fast to face the troubles of the defense and the mana consume. However, if this build do not consume much mana so I think another good choice is mana regen on 1H & OH and replace VQ with Bad Medicine.
Reply Quote
Thanks guys

BTW, I tried to make PTV work in this build, but I just can't handle the mana drain on that one.

I have yet to find a solution for getting PTV to work in this build, but still trying though. I've seen "Bears + mana sac" and "Bears + spider mana" builds that can successfully handle PTV, sometimes even without VQ. So maybe I can draw some sort of inspiration from there.

As I've seen I have yet to find a solution for mana issues, but still trying though. I've seen "Bears + mana sac" and "Bears + spider mana" builds that can successfully handle PTV, sometimes even without VQ.

PS: I finally fixed the stuttering issue I had in the video. So next one will have significantly less stutter. Pardon the low video quality as I'm still using X-fire as video recorder as I refuse to pay for FRAPS. :)
Edited by Mawts#1272 on 8/23/2012 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
From the vid I didnt notice Locusts much as it seems negligible for that build I think? For the mana cost thats another Acid cast. Everything just melts from the Acid and bleed lol.

From the build in your current profile I would try Soul Harvest with the extend duration rune and Blood Ritual over Spirit Vessel maybe.

Tested the old school build SB run up to Azmodan and works fine, just involves abit more micro:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#RfTbUX!acU!acZbaY

Seems anything works in line with the old build as long as you have the following:

Widowmakers, Acid Rain, Bears, Blood Ritual, VQ

Gonna mix and match stuff again later. So many things possible now just need to tweak.
Reply Quote
Mawts! amazing video :)

Looking forward to a few runs with you, I have now gone gruesome feast instead.. and removed the radiant amesthyst with radiant emerald on my main hand.. finally im seeing 200k crit dmg :)

mana not an issue atm as i'm still using 3 mana regen gears..

the SKORN was a value buy i must say again :)

too bad i dont have that much gold stacked up in reserves hehe..

since ur able to spam acid cloud due to slow attack speed, try using spiritual attunement and gruesome feast and jungle fort.

as your base dmg is much higher then mine, ur garg with humangoid will swing even more dmg..

as i dont have skorn to test this out, maybe we can test this tonite using your eq's

ghostbomb / acid cloud

spirit walk - jaunt/honoured guest
soul harvest - increase duration
horrify - armour
garg - humangoid

passive
jungle fort
gruesome feast
spiritual attunement

whenever garg meets a pack of elite just horrify for 8 second armour increase and spam..

i'm sure u will kill even faster with above build :) with lots of Life Return and CC's!..

*edit - with spiritual and gruesome, your regen of mana is very fast :)
Edited by Pakfunchai#6292 on 8/23/2012 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Got to have PTV as passive with this build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRUYTh!YUW!caZYac

Damage potential is craaazy with this one. But you if you can handle the loss of Jungle fortitude and strong/pro enough not to have SV.. Then this build would just friggin' melt everything much faster.

PS: I'll try out some of your suggestion guys, so much viable builds now. 1.04 is awesome. :)
Reply Quote
Heya i have been running a proc build with acid rain b4 1.0.4, after the VQ nerf it hits my build real bad (didnt that blizz take proc away from garg?)

now im using zombie dog with fire so that it procs...for mana i use sacrifice to gain mana. now my build is some how broken i cant seem to tank in act3 anymore, ill run out of mana very soon even with 80+mana/sec
Reply Quote
I'm debating whether or not to go 1-hander and shield or 2-hander based on the gear I have now, and I need some advice in general on where to improve my gear to make this build work better. Eliminating 2 mana regen slots worries me a bit though. Mawts, your 1-hander+shield, did the weap have mana regen? How do you find only having 1 mana regen item (mask)? And you're running PtV too?? o_O Does not compute! I guess I'd have to try this hands on but I'm at work right now...

Also, what's your take on Manitou? I was thinking that might be a better alternative to swarm for a straight up increase in damage output...

Last thing, just out of curiosity, how much did that Skorn cost you (gold or USD)? ;) I want one!!
Edited by Ohms#1130 on 8/24/2012 9:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice job man, i really appreciate post like that but to be honest inferno 1.04 everything seems to work, i mean any kind of build with my 35k dps i just kill them maybe not as fast and pets tank the !@#$ out of elite or boss.
couldnt do act 3 pre patch now with pretty much any build i just walk through it
Reply Quote
Great guide Mawts!

How does this build hold up in 4 player coop? I rarely solo but I'm interested in trying this.
Reply Quote
From the vid I didnt notice Locusts much as it seems negligible for that build I think? For the mana cost thats another Acid cast. Everything just melts from the Acid and bleed lol.

From the build in your current profile I would try Soul Harvest with the extend duration rune and Blood Ritual over Spirit Vessel maybe.

Tested the old school build SB run up to Azmodan and works fine, just involves abit more micro:

Seems anything works in line with the old build as long as you have the following:

Gonna mix and match stuff again later. So many things possible now just need to tweak.

Just tried to switch in spider queen for widowmakers to make things less micro intensive at times and it actually works fine as well. I have 3 mana regen items tho +9 +8 + 9. You can manage with 2 minimum. Also used Soul Harvest again and the Enraging Garg

Just have to watch your mana globe and cast efficiently.
Reply Quote
Hey Mawts, epic thread. I made a slight modification to your build with PtV in mind and came up with this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRUdTh!YeW!caZcac

Vengeful Spirit is so powerful now and almost takes out trash mobs before you've even started with them. xD

Tbh I think it is worth replacing with the dogs with SH because it gives everything a massive boost, and you don't really need anything more than Humangoid. I play in a team mostly and it is SO effective. Thanks again :)
Edited by Geo#2494 on 8/24/2012 10:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sorry im new to WD, but what is the advantage of Acid Rain vs. bears? And fire bomb vs. toads?

Im spent 6 mil to gear my friends WD and im playing with it right now, just wondering how to improve the dps output.
Here is a link to my set up: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Agnusblast-1245/hero/6722281

thnx
Reply Quote
For those that want to try this out but don't want to drop 10m on a weapon (although Mawts's is likely 80m given the int and dps). You can try it out with a hellfire (unique Xbow)

Half as efficient but way less than half the price. Test in axt1 and if you like the feel then go for the Skorn :)
Reply Quote
Using this Skill Build right now: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRUYTh!WUb!caZYac

However, this is not for everybody. It really depends on your risk tolerance, because you''l be losing Jungle Fort and Spirit Vessel.

So I did a gear (and skill) check of myself, to see if I could handle the loss of SV and Jungle Fort. So far, I've done 3 SB/Azmo runs and I'm clearing stuff pretty darn fast w/o dying. So I guess, I'll stick with this one for the moment. :)

Thanks for your sharing, Mawts. Honestly, I check this forum hourly just to know your choices after the patch.

Why don't you use Bruiser Gargantuan and Burning Dogs. You seem to be too OP for act 3, killing elites so fast to face the troubles of the defense and the mana consume. However, if this build do not consume much mana so I think another good choice is mana regen on 1H & OH and replace VQ with Bad Medicine.

Yup I switched to burning dogs already (for dem 12k bleeds! ^^). Humongoid is the unanimous overall winner in the DPS department, so there, I use him. :)

I didn't opt for SH, coz I only get marginal DPS increase (coz I already have failry high int). But I see SH being very effective for others!

But yeah you're right lol, pretty much everything works in this patch! Just depends on your preference. :)

Mawts! amazing video :)

Looking forward to a few runs with you, I have now gone gruesome feast instead.. and removed the radiant amesthyst with radiant emerald on my main hand.. finally im seeing 200k crit dmg :)

mana not an issue atm as i'm still using 3 mana regen gears..

the SKORN was a value buy i must say again :)

too bad i dont have that much gold stacked up in reserves hehe..

since ur able to spam acid cloud due to slow attack speed, try using spiritual attunement and gruesome feast and jungle fort.

as your base dmg is much higher then mine, ur garg with humangoid will swing even more dmg..

as i dont have skorn to test this out, maybe we can test this tonite using your eq's

ghostbomb / acid cloud

spirit walk - jaunt/honoured guest
soul harvest - increase duration
horrify - armour
garg - humangoid

passive
jungle fort
gruesome feast
spiritual attunement

whenever garg meets a pack of elite just horrify for 8 second armour increase and spam..

i'm sure u will kill even faster with above build :) with lots of Life Return and CC's!..

*edit - with spiritual and gruesome, your regen of mana is very fast :)

Thanks man! Been doing a lot of hours of testing, pretty much all options have good synergies and viabillity. The only is clearing speed and efficiency. In my case, I ended up with this as my fastest clearing skill build (so far): Using this Skill Build right now: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRUYTh!WUb!caZYac

Will be trying more and more options in the next couple of days. :)

I'm debating whether or not to go 1-hander and shield or 2-hander based on the gear I have now, and I need some advice in general on where to improve my gear to make this build work better. Eliminating 2 mana regen slots worries me a bit though. Mawts, your 1-hander+shield, did the weap have mana regen? How do you find only having 1 mana regen item (mask)? And you're running PtV too?? o_O Does not compute! I guess I'd have to try this hands on but I'm at work right now...

Also, what's your take on Manitou? I was thinking that might be a better alternative to swarm for a straight up increase in damage output...

Last thing, just out of curiosity, how much did that Skorn cost you (gold or USD)? ;) I want one!!

-No mana regen on my 1H + shield! The key is slow attack speed. Even with PTV, eliminating 2 mana regen items is fine as long as you have like 1.0 attack speed. Give it a try dude. :)

-Manitou is very good too! All in all, it just comes down to player preference. I clear act 3 faster with searing locusts compared to manitou. Like more than 90% of the content is whites, I noticed that when I replaced searing locusts with grasp or manitou, I get a lot of "stragglers" around, so I had to kill them first before I could go to the next room. That doesn't happen to me much with locusts as I go from room to room pretty quick. I think I shave off a couple of minutes on the whole run doing that. But yes, for elite kills manitou is pretty much the better choice, but I only shave off a few seconds. But then again, personal preference! Stragglers are the reason too why I use Ghost Bomb over RoT. Damn dem stagglers!)

-Bought the Skorn for 98m. I blew out all my brimstones and sold my old main hand and off hand at 20m each just to buy that !@#$. All in all, my current gear is now around 150-180m.

Hey Mawts, epic thread. I made a slight modification to your build with PtV in mind and came up with this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRUdTh!YeW!caZcac

Vengeful Spirit is so powerful now and almost takes out trash mobs before you've even started with them. xD

Tbh I think it is worth replacing with the dogs with SH because it gives everything a massive boost, and you don't really need anything more than Humangoid. I play in a team mostly and it is SO effective. Thanks again :)

Good job man! Nice to see people having their personal preferences.

For the SH vs Dogs part, I chose the fire dogs because:
-I have high int already, having SH will only increase my DPS my a little only.
-Fire dogs (even though nerfed), amazingly still packs a lot of proc rate to the table. I just can't miss the DPS potential (dem 12k bleeds!) and control, on top of their tanking/blocking + little damage. When I add it all up (damage and survivabilty), dogs were the clear choice for my gear. :)

Sorry im new to WD, but what is the advantage of Acid Rain vs. bears? And fire bomb vs. toads?

thnx

AC: high proc rate, decent damage
Bears: low proc rate, high damage

fire bomb: low proc rate, high damage
RoT: decent damage, decent proc rate
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]