Diablo® III

Witch Doctor - Patch 1.0.4 Updated Guide

View profile
Hello fellow Witch Doctors! I'm back with the 1.0.4 updated guide as promised. This guide contains a few specs I've figured out while playing, some play style tips and tricks and some patch note discussion. There's a shortcut bar on the bottom of the video you can use to navigate around with.

Check it out on:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nmitty?feature=guide

Make sure to keep watching the channel for the rest of the 1.0.4 class guides, also future Witch Doctor content will be uploaded on a regular basis!
Reply Quote
View profile
Still here if you haven't seen it!
Reply Quote
Awesome guide man.
Reply Quote
View profile
08/24/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Safrole
Awesome guide man.

Thanks a lot!
Reply Quote
Hell yeah! Great guide! I like the part about stutter stepping and leaving behind health globes! Great stuff!
Reply Quote
Nice guide definitely going to try Lob Blob Bomb when I get the chance.

Any comments on those dwindling number of WDs that are crying about the "nerfed" VQ?

Or maybe the lack of buffs to any of our DoTs? (Locust and Haunt were underpowered before, now even more so!)
Reply Quote
View profile
Any comments on those dwindling number of WDs that are crying about the "nerfed" VQ?

Or maybe the lack of buffs to any of our DoTs? (Locust and Haunt were underpowered before, now even more so!)

Haha ya well VQ is like 10X better! The base number is much lower than the original 300% but I think people need to keep in mind we gained around 150% extra base mana regen, so it's more or less the old VQ running at 150% constantly + the new VQ giving us 30% on top of that + not having to worry about popping any CDs to get it rolling :D QQ less to them imo!

I wished dots would have been better :( The first build I tried was Haunt + LS, I was pretty excited about it! Sadly it wasn't that good, maybe with a really strong 2 hander it could be good! My friend just had a 1350 Skorn drop today so I might do some dot testing with that :D
Reply Quote
View profile
Monk guide is next!
Reply Quote
View profile
08/24/2012 01:00 PMPosted by tpz
Hell yeah! Great guide! I like the part about stutter stepping and leaving behind health globes! Great stuff!

Glad you like the video sir! Thanks for the support :)
Reply Quote
Show us your gear!
Reply Quote
View profile
08/26/2012 06:42 AMPosted by LanceAbbott
Show us your gear!

You can click on my profile and look :) There's a link under the video :D
Reply Quote
Critical Rate and Damage is needed for the WD in 1.04?
I was thinking in stack INT VIT AR
Reply Quote
View profile
Critical Rate and Damage is needed for the WD in 1.04?
I was thinking in stack INT VIT AR

For high DPS yes, you can go as tanky as you want but it will take ages to kill anything without crit chance + crit damage :(
Reply Quote
Hi,
What I do not understand is lob blobs bombs.

I use almost exactly the same style of play, except I use bears. They do more damage per mana spent and I think they do more damage per second, all things considered.

So you lay 3 bombs on the ground and then continue to run away with flash fire bombs.

With a few exceptions I do not see the benefits.
Reply Quote
View profile
08/27/2012 07:00 PMPosted by MCP

The range of them as well as the aoe area they cover is much larger than bears, you can literally sit 40 yards back and 1 shot any trash pack with Lob Blob, elite packs only consume roughly 10-15% of the time you farm, your build should be good for both trash AND elites. Sadly Bears are not amazing for trash, ranged mobs easily escape them and become annoying to hunt down which results in less efficiency :(
Reply Quote

Haha ya well VQ is like 10X better! The base number is much lower than the original 300% but I think people need to keep in mind we gained around 150% extra base mana regen, so it's more or less the old VQ running at 150% constantly + the new VQ giving us 30% on top of that + not having to worry about popping any CDs to get it rolling :D QQ less to them imo!

I wished dots would have been better :( The first build I tried was Haunt + LS, I was pretty excited about it! Sadly it wasn't that good, maybe with a really strong 2 hander it could be good! My friend just had a 1350 Skorn drop today so I might do some dot testing with that :D

Old VQ gave me +150 mana regen. New VQ gives me around 20 mana regen and only lasts 5 seconds after I activate it with a primary skill. My main attack is bears, not darts. I only use darts when I want the extra range vs annoying mobs like fast elites that run away from me.

Current VQ is so weak that I won't even touch it unless it receives a buff. Blood ritual is better in every way even though all my items have near max rolled mana regen on them. VQ is more comparable to spiritual attunement but it has a requirement.
Reply Quote

The range of them as well as the aoe area they cover is much larger than bears, you can literally sit 40 yards back and 1 shot any trash pack with Lob Blob, elite packs only consume roughly 10-15% of the time you farm, your build should be good for both trash AND elites. Sadly Bears are not amazing for trash, ranged mobs easily escape them and become annoying to hunt down which results in less efficiency :(

I disagree, partially. I think bears handle trash mobs just fine, with the exception of those who run away a lot. I completely agree about ranged units and bears, it's an obvious weakness, but flash fire covers it. In this case, lob blob bomb is better because they don't start running away if you're not close enough.

If I need SH, I can run in, SH, jaunt(optional in many cases), bears, step back and fire bomb if there were more or some escaped the wrath of the zombie bear avalanche.

Inside on the way to Ghom, often times jaunt becomes optional because they're dead before they can attack. I can also take at least two hits from all but the very strongest enemy, so I can always pop in for jaunt on reaction. (Warning: dangerous strategy which can rarely result in death due to lag, laziness, a slow reaction, or not knowing how hard an enemy hits)

Outside in an open field with ranged enemies mixed with melee enemies, such that the ranged enemies are around the melee enemies, sitting back is better, but I can still corral the melee trash and wipe them out with bears without getting unsafely close, saving jaunt in case I get targeted by a bunch of ranged enemies. Flash fire bounces around. With 5 SH stacks though, bears are not necessary. In this case, I think lob blob bomb would be better than bears because it can kill the ranged enemies at the same time as the flash fire kills the melee enemies.

Also including a back to wall bear streams to maximize range and hit stuff that normally would be out of range as possible, as well as run up, turn around, and launch bears backwards.

I am going to give the blobs more play time out in an open field next time I play, just to see how it works. Maybe I'll use bears and blobs, replacing BBV with blobs.
Edited by MCP#1477 on 8/28/2012 12:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Really nice guide man! I really enjoyed it. This build is really helping me farm. I'm following your farming guide too. Act 1 actually has some decent drops and drop rates.

With your guides, I am able to do your a1 route in roughly 28 minutes. I pick up all gold, blues, and open up all chests I see. The time is including selling blues/stashing rares.

I'd say I get anywhere from 60-100k gold and 30 rares(more ilvl 61 than anything). Not to mention its great for farming up heaps of Mythic potions to use when your progressing!
Reply Quote
View profile
08/28/2012 12:37 PMPosted by MCP
I am going to give the blobs more play time out in an open field next time I play, just to see how it works. Maybe I'll use bears and blobs, replacing BBV with blobs.

I just don't like Zombie Bears against ranged, it's obnoxious and slow to chase them around when they're kiting you :( For that reason alone I find it makes farming a lot slower and less efficient :( Not to say Zombie Bears are bad, I just like farming efficiently :D

08/28/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Austin
Really nice guide man! I really enjoyed it. This build is really helping me farm. I'm following your farming guide too. Act 1 actually has some decent drops and drop rates.

Really glad you're enjoying the guides and they're useful! Ty for the support kind sir :D
Reply Quote
Yeah I love blob too. It helped me kill Ghom because he just %#@*d me every time (because of enrage). This is definitely a more fun build than any I played, and its amazing DPS.

I was kind of mad to give up zombie dogs, but that grasp of the dead rune is JUST like having dogs out, it blew my mind. Same with slam dance from big bad voodoo. The 60 second soul harvest is just much better with out that huge cooldown. I think slam dance is better during single boss fights, though, but soul harvest still does decent DPS boost with just one harvest.

Thanks again for the guides!

Are you going to make any more WD guides? Or other 1.04 class guides I should say.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]