Diablo® III

Leoric's Signet farming stories

help me i farmed like 10 hours straight and got 11 legendaries and no ring !!

i do voa for 5 stacks then sewers then dahlgur oasis then hidden aqueducts, redo. pls help

My personal suggestion is drop the VoA part. Stacks aren't helping you because you are spending more time not farming specifically for the ring. As far as time goes, well when you are looking specifically for one particular needle in a stack of needles, sometimes it takes a while. RNG dude. Could be the next run could be 5 years from now.

One miss conception I'd like to help clear up that many people fall into, is that although common sense seems to say that the more I kill the better my odds, that's not really true.

Whatever the Odds are on this ring (or any specific item), say just for the sake of the argument 1:250,000 (probably higher), that number does not mean if you kill 250,000 you will be guaranteed at least one. That number represents a ratio which is a way of measuring difficulty of a task. That number simply means that each time you kill a single monster (regardless of what happened or how many you killed previously), you have a really high chance of failure. That's why it's called a Probability. I will probably have a good day tomorrow. I will probably not get hit by lightning today.

There is a really good chance you will never find it. Ever. The reason why we do "runs" is because each time we kill a monster we are simply trying again. The more monsters we kill in a faster period of time = the more tries we have at hitting that impossible number. Some people will get it on the first try, so people wont get it if they farm for the next 5 years.

I'm not trying to take hope away from anyone I'm just trying to maybe explain that the "I've been farming for 4 days, so I should have gotten the ring by now!" argument, means nothing. Odds don't care about time. It either happens or it doesn't every time you try.

Your best bet is to put a Value on your time. Once your time has exceeded the value of farming the ring, without finding it. Stop doing it. It's kind of like a budgeting method used by people who play a lot of slot machines to help determine if they should simply walk away or stay and get paid.

well you didn't count in magic find and elites, which have higher chance of dropping a legendary. (cuz i found about 30 legendaries, none from trash monsters) magic find of 400% quadruples chances of finding it. hmm also I get 5stacks in voa in 1 minute why dropping it
Edited by Kankuro#2338 on 8/30/2012 4:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Normal only. So kiss gaining xp goodbye for a while if you want to farm it.

thats not true, ive gotten 4mil experience towards level 1 of pargon just from farming normal.

For all practical purposes Normal farming does not raise enough XP to be considered Paragon leveling.

I got to lvl 6 playing casually evenings and weekends farming Act 1 and Act 2. On sunday I switched to Signet farming hoping to hit a jackpot. My XP has risen less than one tenth of one full bar since then.
Edited by Dragar#1812 on 8/30/2012 4:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
help me i farmed like 10 hours straight and got 11 legendaries and no ring !!

i do voa for 5 stacks then sewers then dahlgur oasis then hidden aqueducts, redo. pls help

One legendary per hour counts as insanely good luck, not bad.

Many people chasing this have far less to show.

I have 4 legends since Sunday.
Reply Quote
Just had a legendary drop. Vigilante Belt a lvl 5 belt.

*sigh*

That's legends 4 in in 4 days.

if you're getting level 5 drops you might wanna move to a slightly slightly higher level area. optimally you want to farm in area with item levels 9-17

So the Game Guide says Vigilante belt is Item level 8. So that may be how it droped before Adria. The next legendary belt is item level 24 which should be out of the sewers range.
Reply Quote
08/30/2012 04:22 AMPosted by Kankuro
well you didn't count in magic find and elites, which have higher chance of dropping a legendary. (cuz i found about 30 legendaries, none from trash monsters) magic find of 400% quadruples chances of finding it. hmm also I get 5stacks in voa in 1 minute why dropping it
If it works for you then use it. You asked for help I'm just offering a little. Every legendary you find coming from an elite is what is called very lucky and quite rare. NV does not help very much for legendary items because their natural drop rate is so low to begin with. Your 400% MF is taking your .002% chance and turning it into a .008% chance. Like I said if it doesn't slow you down and you feel more comfortable with it then by all means use it.
Reply Quote
after reading all you guys have suggested over the past days i'm conflicted on the path to take. On one hand doing the 30 sec (1min for me) runs and not going into the sewers (after 15 runs i got 1 lvl16 magic ring) is fast but feels liek being a bot, on the other hand doing a whole run feels like it takes forever because mobs are so spaced out(for me such a run normally yields ~8 rings between 11 and 18 and takes ~15-20min with VotA included). I get about 1 rare ring every 20 magic rings and i found 2 leg, the crown and bonecrusher (i think it was called that). Time invested so far ~3-4h. move speed 22%, MF - 249%
Reply Quote
08/30/2012 06:07 AMPosted by Zamolxe
after reading all you guys have suggested over the past days i'm conflicted on the path to take. On one hand doing the 30 sec (1min for me) runs and not going into the sewers (after 15 runs i got 1 lvl16 magic ring) is fast but feels liek being a bot, on the other hand doing a whole run feels like it takes forever because mobs are so spaced out(for me such a run normally yields ~8 rings between 11 and 18 and takes ~15-20min with VotA included). I get about 1 rare ring every 20 magic rings and i found 2 leg, the crown and bonecrusher (i think it was called that). Time invested so far ~3-4h. move speed 22%, MF - 249%

Same here actually. What I do is I mix them up. A couple runs I take the long route. A couple runs I take the short route. Reduces the redundancy.

Ring has not dropped for me again. I spent 6 hrs yesterday farming :(
Reply Quote

One miss conception I'd like to help clear up that many people fall into, is that although common sense seems to say that the more I kill the better my odds, that's not really true.

Whatever the Odds are on this ring (or any specific item), say just for the sake of the argument 1:250,000 (probably higher), that number does not mean if you kill 250,000 you will be guaranteed at least one. That number represents a ratio which is a way of measuring difficulty of a task. That number simply means that each time you kill a single monster (regardless of what happened or how many you killed previously), you have a really high chance of failure. That's why it's called a Probability. I will probably have a good day tomorrow. I will probably not get hit by lightning today.

There is a really good chance you will never find it. Ever. The reason why we do "runs" is because each time we kill a monster we are simply trying again. The more monsters we kill in a faster period of time = the more tries we have at hitting that impossible number. Some people will get it on the first try, so people wont get it if they farm for the next 5 years.

I'm not trying to take hope away from anyone I'm just trying to maybe explain that the "I've been farming for 4 days, so I should have gotten the ring by now!" argument, means nothing. Odds don't care about time. It either happens or it doesn't every time you try.

Your best bet is to put a Value on your time. Once your time has exceeded the value of farming the ring, without finding it. Stop doing it. It's kind of like a budgeting method used by people who play a lot of slot machines to help determine if they should simply walk away or stay and get paid.

here let me give you a legitimate example. ive been farming the ashes of alar, and im sure everyone knows wtf that is. ive been farming for the past two years, thats roughly a 104 weeks worth. (every week reset) so farming for this ring isnt omg it should drop, i did the break down on the ashes of alar, if i was going to see one i would have to farm it for the next ten years before i was going to actually see one drop. i thinks it 1:1000

so if you think because some have gotten multiply drops and/or are just trolling that they got it in one try, doesn't mean your doing something wrong, ive gotten every legendary on the loot table except the ring, at least your not getting manald rings, its very depressing,
Reply Quote
@MoonForged
I agree, the Royal Audience clear is fast but it generates almost no rares and is very mind numbing. You are basically a "Flesh-bot". For short runs I have now been linking RA to unexpected allies and running from Hakan to the Adria unique snake. Takes less than 5 minutes and clears two maps that are known Signet drop sites.

For longer sessions I do full clears to Oasis.

Running nothing but this since I read Speedforce's thread last Sunday morning. 4 Legends no Signet.

RNG hates me.
Edited by Dragar#1812 on 8/30/2012 7:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Okay so heres a theory. The more MF you have, the worse it is for finding legendaries. The reason is that MF increases your chances for a magic and rare item, however it doesn't increase the legendary chances in the same proportion that it does for magic/rares. Therefore the more MF you get, the worse chances you have at getting a legendary.
I think it has something to do with my WoW subscription... I had D3 from the Annual Pass deal, but for some reason my WoW sub just ended at the 6 months mark. I've opened a ticket and tried calling but their queue is full at the moment.

Ah, I see, so you haven't completed the 1 year agreement
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 8/30/2012 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/30/2012 09:09 AMPosted by speedforce
Okay so heres a theory. The more MF you have, the worse it is for finding legendaries. The reason is that MF increases your chances for a magic and rare item, however it doesn't increase the legendary chances in the same proportion that it does for magic/rares. Therefore the more MF you get, the worse chances you have at getting a legendary.

MF increases your legendary droprate. Confirmed by Blizzard and proven with reasonable certainty through data collection.
Reply Quote
I think it has something to do with my WoW subscription... I had D3 from the Annual Pass deal, but for some reason my WoW sub just ended at the 6 months mark. I've opened a ticket and tried calling but their queue is full at the moment.

Ah, I see, so you haven't completed the 1 year agreement

Interestingly, you may be right.

Look at this spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmM9l6dHLp6SdDE3R3Y2Qm04d1JfMGs2VEtiZVhHc0E&output=html

The higher magic find you have, the more blues will drop! Which is what we don't want. Hmm. Thinking about just getting my MF down to 100% unbuffed.

EDIT:
The % of chance to drop are just assumptions but it makes sense that blues will have an initial higher % chance to drop than legendaries/rares.
Edited by MoonForged#1876 on 8/30/2012 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote

MF increases your legendary droprate. Confirmed by Blizzard and proven with reasonable certainty through data collection.
You're not reading clearly. Legendary drop rates do increase, however magic/rare chances increase EVEN MORE. Magic/rares end up taking priority and you see less legendaries as a result.

MF is a way of taking some of the randomness in finding superior loot however the devs didn't account for legendaries. The boost to legendary drop rate through MF is like .01 per 50MF or .001. That's not enough to truly affect legendaries. However, MF increases rare and magic drop rates by a significant amount. Therefore with higher MF, it's rolling the dice on items and rares/magics are winning out.
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 8/30/2012 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Legendary items are checked first against your magic find, so it is affected by it:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/equipment#magic-find
Reply Quote
In other words, all those extra blues from magic find are just failed legendary/rare rolls.
Reply Quote
You're not listening. The actual effect MF has on a legendary is like .01% per 50MF while the effect it has on magic and rares is exponentially higher.

edit:
to clarify, I'm not saying it doesn't effect it, I'm just saying the bonuses it provides to legendaries are much much lower than it is for rare and magic items.
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 8/30/2012 10:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
See the spreadsheet I posted.

It's about finding the right balance, I guess. I personally don't want to have my blues have a chance of rolling at more than 50% of the time. For now, I lowered my MF to 200% unbuffed.
Reply Quote
See the spreadsheet I posted.

It's about finding the right balance, I guess. I personally don't want to have my blues have a chance of rolling at more than 50% of the time. For now, I lowered my MF to 200% unbuffed.
Where did you find this spreadsheet? The chance for legendary drop looks too high. If you check the diabloinc MF thread, the estimated chance for legendary is like .002 or something like that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]