Diablo® III

Guild Wars 2 LOL! Plus random rants.

SO I played GW2 beta and I was like, ehhh, cool, I guess. IT's got public quests like Warhammer Online. So I pre-ordered...

I been playing MMO's for 15 years. The Realm being my first, Everquest my 2nd and so fourth.

GW2 is pretty bad. It's like they had a vision (respectable) and completely missed. Am I saying Diablo 3 is the golden game? No... I'm just mentioning this because GW2 just launched.

This is a big deal for certain folk. The gaming industry has been flopping one after the other consistently. What is going on?

I'm going to be completely honest. WoW: MoP will dominate GW2... Am I a WoW fanboy? No... I used to be a WoW player. But if Guild Wars 2 and Secret World, possibly Tera are WoW's competitors and they were legitimate attempts at being cool new MMO's, then this gaming industry is going downhill.

The only people who will understand what I'm talking about are old-school gamers. Players who played through EQ, DAoC, Shadowbane, UO... Whatever... We have all this new technology and it seems to be diminishing gameplay and only enhancing graphics.

I'm literally logged into GW2 playing "WvW".... I'm starring at a Keep door being attackrd by the enemy, I have no ****ing clue what's going on. I'm shooting spells through a wall, while they attack me and I run back and heal. Like... What is this? And all of a sudden I'm level 80... I was level 4, but now I'm level 80... This might be worse than Secret World. Not gonna lie.... Secret World had THE WORST item system in an MMO EVER! But then I played GW2... WHOOPS... GW2 takes that trophy now. They literally hand mold every character the same and no one see's it. It's so easy to see the design. Find dagger X, same stats... Find Staff X, same stats... Do I disassemble it to craft? OR do I vendor for money? I don't care which choice because crafting is a joke and there is nothing to buy with money, derpaderp ring rong BINGOOOOOO.

I think I'll stick to Diablo 3. Play it hardcore mode, then when MoP comes out, play both D3 and WoW. Seems Blizzard has the only clue how to make a game. And NO, D3 isn't perfect, obviously a new team made it, I'm praising Blizzard as a whole. I have faith they will eventually make D3 the ultimate action RPG. 1.04 is already insanely fun.
Reply Quote
Well someone is really dumb
Reply Quote
clearly you have no idea what GW is about. You should go back and read up on what the devs were intending to do with the game's PvE, PvP and balance. I'll give you a hint: it's not about who outgears who or who pays more $$.
Edited by LEMORA#1853 on 8/25/2012 12:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You must be a sponsor?
Reply Quote
oh this type of thread already
Reply Quote
to be honest kind of suprised to see a post like this from an oldskool mmo'r, did u play guild wars 1?
Reply Quote
Didn't give the game enough time for him to even level up, and didn't try out different builds and the different weapon affixes

Looking forward to my melee axe necromancer with vampirism on my axe.
Reply Quote
Interesting, I have been thinking of buying GW2 but was waiting to see if it had a good following after a month.

I liked the concept of GW1 but the gameplay was really unappealing for whatever reason, not bashing the game because each to their own.

In order for a game to have good longevity it needs community, replayability and competition. I don't know if EQ had those but I know the others on that list had it, golden era of MMO's definitely.

I'm hoping GW2 delivers. :) From what you said about the PvP it doesn't sound promising though.
Reply Quote
08/25/2012 12:58 AMPosted by Bedlam
In order for a game to have good longevity it needs community, replayability and competition. I don't know if EQ had those but I know the others on that list had it, golden era of MMO's definitely.

dude... it's everquest... go look at how many expansions there are for eq and eq2 lol
Reply Quote
Got into the beta after a friend of mine in the industry went to E3 this year and got me a code for it. The character customization seemed awesome as hell. But then when I got into the game, it felt like you moved around like a barge, and for all it's touting about doing things different, still felt like another Everquest Style MMO with hotbars, and cool downs. I then just uninstalled it and didn't look back. Hope all you people who do pick it up think it was worth the wait and all the hype.
Reply Quote
Sorry, GW2 isn't for me. Maybe it is for some folk. It seems to cater to players who have very little time for gaming. You can login, do any quest which is 90% public questing like Warhammer OR you can get instantly leveled to 80 and do WvW PvP...

I'm puzzled as to why there is even a leveling system. 1-80 seems like it takes forever but when you play the "major" World vs World, you auto level to 80.... What is the point? IT literally says "Hey, this is an uber timesink." Other MMO's hide that well and you drown in the fun gameplay, but GW2, it screams timesink. It's like it doesn't even want you to play.

Then again, it vacuums the casuals like it's Don Cheadle in Hotel Rwanda.
Reply Quote
I'd like to see how GW2 is like, since I bought it.

But then again, I can't even log in.
Reply Quote

Sounds familiar
Reply Quote
08/25/2012 01:02 AMPosted by Reginalt
Got into the beta after a friend of mine in the industry went to E3 this year and got me a code for it. The character customization seemed awesome as hell. But then when I got into the game, it felt like you moved around like a barge, and for all it's touting about doing things different, still felt like another Everquest Style MMO with hotbars, and cool downs. I then just uninstalled it and didn't look back. Hope all you people who do pick it up think it was worth the wait and all the hype.

You are a worgen and complaining about character movement? that's just cute. It's obvious you have a bias in WoWs favor.
Reply Quote
This is a big deal for certain folk. The gaming industry has been flopping one after the other consistently. What is going on?

I'm going to be completely honest. WoW: MoP will dominate GW2... Am I a WoW fanboy? No... I used to be a WoW player. But if Guild Wars 2 and Secret World, possibly Tera are WoW's competitors and they were legitimate attempts at being cool new MMO's, then this gaming industry is going downhill.

I think I'll stick to Diablo 3. Play it hardcore mode, then when MoP comes out, play both D3 and WoW. Seems Blizzard has the only clue how to make a game. And NO, D3 isn't perfect, obviously a new team made it, I'm praising Blizzard as a whole. I have faith they will eventually make D3 the ultimate action RPG. 1.04 is already insanely fun.

Well, I like to give myself choices by playing a few games. Aww, I was looking forward to Secret World.

Anyway, as for gaming industry, I think most of us are spoilt by a lot of epic games in the past...so the new ones being mediocre or above average will just not cut it.
Reply Quote

I paid 59.99 for the pre-order. Played for 45 minutes. (I played the beta for about 8 hours)... I don't think I will log back in...

Am I upset? No... I am a MMORPG collector.... I buy every MMO or play them if it's F2P.... I love the genre and always have. I like to see where things are going. MMORPG genre has been suffering for about 5-6 years now. Old-school games like DAoC, Shadowbane, AC1, EQ1 are the only good MMORPG's on the market. WoW is in a different category as: "Best new-school MMORPG".... So your choice these days are old- outdated graphics or WoW, cartoony (I like it) but some don't.

There are also other options like Eve Online, a different take on MMO's, but even that has huge negatives.

It seems there is a mix of problems in the industry.

1.) Funding... Companies are like, here is money, give me game.

2.) Developers are rushed by said company.

3.) Games are released that feel like they are #1 and #2....

PS: Gamers aren't stupid. The problem is #1 most of the time. That is obviously a guess. Maybe it is #2...
Reply Quote
Sorry, GW2 isn't for me. Maybe it is for some folk. It seems to cater to players who have very little time for gaming. You can login, do any quest which is 90% public questing like Warhammer OR you can get instantly leveled to 80 and do WvW PvP...

I'm puzzled as to why there is even a leveling system. 1-80 seems like it takes forever but when you play the "major" World vs World, you auto level to 80.... What is the point? IT literally says "Hey, this is an uber timesink." Other MMO's hide that well and you drown in the fun gameplay, but GW2, it screams timesink. It's like it doesn't even want you to play.

Instant level 80? Since when if it is there it's a glitch.

"Yeah lets make a whole game with a world full of questing and leveling zones but make it so you can get instant max level"

Doesn't sound right does it
Reply Quote

"Yeah lets make a whole game with a world full of questing and leveling zones but make it so you can get instant max level"

Have you played GW2? WvW instantly levels you to 80 while your inside... It's lame... Since the game is pretty much PvP focused (75%), why would I waste 50+ hours leveling to 80 per class? DERP..... And the gear is all the same... There is nothing... You are MEsmer X, Necromancer X, just like Joe and Bill...

Same can be said for WoW, except in WoW there was an element of skill.... DPS rotations, healing, and tanking.... In GW2, you have 5 primary skills which require no thought at all... I can literally put lead in my mouth and then drool on my keyboard so its heavy enough to press a key and BAM, I killed a monster. Then you have 5 more "support skills", like self-heals... WHOOP WHOOP! REVOLUTIONARY! More like, DEVOLUTIONARY. c wat I did der?
Reply Quote

When you do WvWvW you get automatically (but temporarily) boosted to level 80 so that everyone's on the same playing field. It's not tiered by level.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]