Diablo® III

Won Khim Lau Appriciation Thread

real quick noob question what do you guys mean by os
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Why would it add Lightning damage to something that doesn't deal Lightning damage?

Shouldn't it only be adding to the weapon damage if that weapon has Lightning damage?

The weapon says to "add 5-6% to Lightning damage", not "add 5-6% Lightning damage"

I do not know why they programmed the game the way they did.

However, currently, it will definitely add lighting damage to attacks that would not have them previously.

I am 100% aware that it is worded poorly. I am not giving out information based on my speculation, there have been empirical tests run to determine the effect of these sorts of stats.
Reply Quote
Fair enough.
Reply Quote
It would seem that Won Khim Lau's would not mix well with other items such as Inna's Favor which adds +x% holy damage since the physical damage on WKL is rather low.

Actually, it seems that any +x% elemental damage is a very underwhelming stat since the majority of items have elemental damage on them. How...disappointing.

Druin, could you post a link to the other thread with the discussion about +x% elemental damage?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
It would seem that Won Khim Lau's would not mix well with other items such as Inna's Favor which adds +x% holy damage since the physical damage on WKL is rather low.

Actually, it seems that any +x% elemental damage is a very underwhelming stat since the majority of items have elemental damage on them. How...disappointing.

Druin, could you post a link to the other thread with the discussion about +x% elemental damage?

This is the empirical test I was referring to:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Strategy/comments/wrejh/has_anyone_figured_out_how_adds_x_to_element/c5g1mb6

Apparently I was slightly wrong. It adds +x% to your MIN damage TWICE instead of +x% to your min and +x% to your max ... bad programming is bad :D

Also, that study implies that it DOES effect weps with elemental damage types that are the same as the +x% <elemental> damage mod.

I will test this when I get home as I have zuni boots and a psn dagger :D

If that is the case, WKL would increase its own damage much more than I previously thought and you would want to use either a +min + max offhand or a +light dmg offhand.
Reply Quote

Increasing same element and physical damage make a little more sense. Could you test with a non-physical, non-poison weapon as well to see how the Zuni boots increase the damage?

If that is the case, WKL would increase its own damage much more than I previously thought and you would want to use either a +min + max offhand or a +light dmg offhand.

Actually, it would increase is LESS with how they have it programmed. It should be +6% minimum and +6% maximum, but if the thread on reddit is correct, it's doing +6% minimum twice.
Edited by InBobWeTrust#1763 on 8/29/2012 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
08/29/2012 03:33 PMPosted by InBobWeTrust

Increasing same element and physical damage make a little more sense. Could you test with a non-physical, non-poison weapon as well to see how the Zuni boots increase the damage?

Actually, it would increase is LESS with how they have it programmed. It should be +6% minimum and +6% maximum, but if the thread on reddit is correct, it's doing +6% minimum twice.

I meant it would increase it MORE if it took lighting damage into account. Double minimum of base dmg + light dmg beats single min single max of just the base dmg :D
Reply Quote
Hurry and get home and test, there's a couple auctions ending this evening I have my eye on, these results are critical!

Also, thank you @Druin :-D
Reply Quote
Hurry and get home and test, there's a couple auctions ending this evening I have my eye on, these results are critical!

Also, thank you @Druin :-D

I second this, we need answers!
Reply Quote
Why would it add Lightning damage to something that doesn't deal Lightning damage?

Shouldn't it only be adding to the weapon damage if that weapon has Lightning damage?

The weapon says to "add 5-6% to Lightning damage", not "add 5-6% Lightning damage"

Because that would make sense and this is blizzard?

FYI this has been known because its how the bonuses on tal rasha set have worked (even prior 1.04) with +%firedamage

% to elemental skills = that element only
%elemental damage = +%damage to everything. I didn't know its doubling on the min though that's pretty awesome lol. HOWEVER, when it calculates % of damage to add, it doesn't include +x-y elemental damage, only +min+max modifier (when applicable)
Edited by Bacon#1205 on 8/29/2012 4:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Open socket.
Reply Quote
08/29/2012 02:37 PMPosted by lebeastmode
real quick noob question what do you guys mean by os

Open Socket
Reply Quote
08/30/2012 09:12 AMPosted by EmperorMao
Tested. Rapes face. Buy WKL.

I tested it last night too. Replaced my 769 dps weapon 119 dex 134 crit dmg with a 749 dps 154 dex 70 crit. I can't really tell if it's better. I lost a lot of paper DPS from losing the crit dmg.

So is the +min-max lighting dmg included in the weapon's min-max damage? or does it only apply when using lighting based attacks?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Okay, I am back fellow Monks.

I spent all last night doing math because ... NERD!

As it turns out, there are about 10000000 bugs associated with this silly stat and they make good calculations much harder to come by until you figure out how to "fix" the bugs.

Conclusions of several hours of testing the stat "Adds x% to <elemental> damage"
Note: All tests done with my Legacy Zunimassa's Boots (+5% to poison damage).

1. +x% <elemental> damage DIRECTLY increases the damage of your weapons.
Note: This essentially functions just like the +xx% damage stat found on many weapons.

2. It will increase the DPS of your weapon by 2x weapon MIN damage * weapon attack speed.

3. It will NOT count ANY +elemental damage when finding the min damage of your weapon.
Note: despite previous misleading information, it will NOT count elemental damage of the same element as the stat.

4. It WILL count the +min damage and +xx% damage stats when finding the min damage of your weapon.

5. It will add <element> to your attack damage type. However, your attack will always SHOW the effect of whatever your highest elemental damage is. Due to the low amount of elemental damage this stat provides, if your wep has an elemental damage type on it already, that will almost always be the element that is used when determining the graphic of how mobs die.

Conclusions:
1. WKL's adds +5-6% to lighting damage WILL effect it's overall dps (this will NOT be shown on the items tooltip dps). However, it will NOT take WKL's inherent lightning damage into account which makes it less useful than it could be.

2. It is better to have a phys only wep if you are going to "stack" Adds x% to <elemental> damage stats.
Note: This means that for duel wielding, it would be very advantageous to use WKL in your offhand with a very high +min +max +%damage mainhand wep.

3. It is better to have a high MIN damage and low MAX damage on your weapon if you want to maximize the effect of this stat.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to ask me any questions about this. After testing it pretty thoroughly I feel quite confident I can answer questions.

-Druin, the happy monk
Edited by Druin#1518 on 8/30/2012 9:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Druin, I do have some questions, be right back in about 1 hour, so don't go anywhere!
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
08/30/2012 09:51 AMPosted by OmegaMan
Thanks Druin, I do have some questions, be right back in about 1 hour, so don't go anywhere!

At work so I can't actually go anywhere :D
Reply Quote
08/29/2012 11:23 AMPosted by EmperorMao
Wrong. All of FoT is lightning damage. Every FoT hit gains the bonus. Learn2Monk.

If that's true, I should have been seeing a 23% increase in every punch I threw, which I did not. I just don't think this is the case. It adds 23% to "lightning skills" which does not include spirit generating punches. Cyclones, yes, the 35% bonus to thunderclap, yes, but not basic attacks.

A 23% increase to all punches would be severely OP.
Edited by Kryptoh#1415 on 8/30/2012 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the work Druin.

Let me know if this math/logic is correct:

My current DPS is 59,920. If I were to replace my OH with the OP's WKL, my DPS would drop to 55,242. The 6% lightning damage modifier on the WKL adds 25.32 (211*0.12) minimum dmg to my MH spear and 15.12 (126*0.12) minimum dmg to the WKL. This ups my MH spear to ~845 dps and the WKL to ~925 dps, giving me an actual DPS of 56,013.

My current setup, for FoT/TC would be 59,920 * 1.45 = 86,884 dps.
Cyclone would be 59,920 * 0.2 = 11,984 dps.

With the WKL in my OH, FoT/TC would be 56,013 * 1.45 * 1.16 = 94,214 dps.
Cyclone would be 56,013 * 0.2 = 12,995 dps.

Is that correct?

If so, it means that even though the OP's WKL looks like a 4,678 DPS loss (7.8%) on the paper doll, it's actually a 7,330 DPS gain on TC (8.4%) and a 1,011 gain on Cyclone (8.4%).

I wonder what the breakeven point for paper doll DPS lost and TC/Cyclone gain is.

edit: This might be a coincidence, so maybe this is just a really dumb observation ... but 7.8+8.4 is just a tad over 16%, which is the increase from the WKL. Is it too simple to say that whatever % your WKL has is how much DPS you can stand to lose (e.g. 16% lightning gain on this WKL allows for a 16% loss in DPS to breakeven; since I lose only ~8% DPS, I gain 8% overall)?
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 8/30/2012 10:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think WKL is officially overpriced thanks to this thread!
Better find other weapons with crit + o/s
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]