Diablo® III

Best Monk legendary and set items for 1.0.4

Madstone is BIS for head, but you'd need a fairly perfect roll. 170+ dex, 12-14% FoT or SW dmg, and most of all - crit chance roll, 4-6%.

Mempo is also a good alternative if it has good rolls as it gives the same IAS like andy's but it gives AR and guaranteed slot which is more useful to us monks. Also none of that fire dmg BS.

Otherwise Inna's is a good alternative if you're already using the set.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
Echoing Fury is the best 1hander atm as the attacks per second applies to both weapons.
Reply Quote
I'm wondering though..Echoing Fury procs fear...why in the world would you want everything to run like goblins? Even with thunderclap, it's hella annoying to keep chasing after something, because it's essentially slowing farming time.
Reply Quote
Won Khim Lau is the best legendary for monk. Because the lightning damage and skills increase directly affects our Fist of Thunder skill. Which is by far our best spirit generator. Getting lucky with the random properties would make it better.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/won-khim-lau

this is the only thing I don't agree with
the lightning damage from skills enchant is nice but it's worth about an extra crit gem.
which is essentially what shen long's fist of legend gives you.
And sure won khim has extra lightning damage too but shen long has better dex and better base damage and a very powerful set bonus.

won khim is definitely pretty cost effective, but I don't think it's BIS.
Reply Quote
What do you all think about the Blackthorne's Jousting Mail for pants if I already have the chest for the set?

I'm not really wanting to replace the chest, and I thought the LoH for the Jousting Mail would be pretty good, and the extra vitality from the set piece as well.

I want to get the 2 piece bonus from Nat's set, but the ring is kinda expensive. I was thinking of getting the helm with a socket and the boots, but I really want a Madstone or Andriel's Visage, so I may just drop the gold for the ring anyway. Either way I want the crit chance since mine is so low and my crit damage is high.
Reply Quote
^Not sure what you're saying, because won khim lau can spawn with CD + OS. I'm using one right now...

Shenlong's set is great and is the most balanced - and I agree with the best rolls, it would be BIS, but it wouldn't out-dps a won khim lau + another high dps wep.

People underestimate the +% dmg. There are a lot of hidden modifiers now and just because you have higher dps on paper, it doesn't necessarily mean you do more actual dps. +% dmg doesn't show up on paper unfortunately.
Reply Quote
08/26/2012 02:54 PMPosted by Amaterasu
I'm wondering though..Echoing Fury procs fear...why in the world would you want everything to run like goblins? Even with thunderclap, it's hella annoying to keep chasing after something, because it's essentially slowing farming time.

The fear almost always just has the mob standing in place, and if it does move it is only a short distance usually not out of sweeping wind range. It also fears elites which helps people stay alive.

The fear is nothing like mobs spreading everywhere it is a nice help to survival!

The biggest thing from Echoing fury is the 0.2x attacks per second applied directly to offhand, ie. your mace changes from 1.2 to 1.4x

Post on Echoing Fury:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6412102731?page=1#2
Edited by Amedon#1184 on 8/26/2012 3:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Won Khim Lau's lightning damage portion appears to only apply to fists of thunder, and even then is nothing special from testing...

It does not effect cyclones or sweeping wind.
Reply Quote
Won Khim Lau's lightning damage portion appears to only apply to fists of thunder, and even then is nothing special from testing...

It does not effect cyclones or sweeping wind.

It definitely works with SW as well as cyclones. It adds the dmg to all lightning dmg. I'll see what I can do to test this further...but let's face it - would blizz really have this affix if it only works with FoT? They would just have the +% dmg on certain skills like with Madstone.
Reply Quote
That's good to know! I was afraid that it'd be like fear from BoH...They probbably don't run/run far because the procs are nerfed in inferno...if it's just used as a CC then it's great. I just wouldn't want anything to run away.
Reply Quote
I'll have to buy another to test, but I tried doing a bunch of tests on belial with Won Khim and didn't seem to get any positive results.

Edit: with sweeping wind that is
Edited by Amedon#1184 on 8/26/2012 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
sweeping wind is not lightning based dmg, the cyclones are, however. I also played around with a WKL and whilst it was good, wasnt spectacular... you drop in paper dps but gain in lightning based attacks. A decent guess would be the affi% * 0.60 (probably the portion of your dps based on lightning) is the % gain in dps not shown on the char sheet.
Reply Quote
Won Khim Lau is the best legendary for monk. Because the lightning damage and skills increase directly affects our Fist of Thunder skill. Which is by far our best spirit generator. Getting lucky with the random properties would make it better.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/won-khim-lau

this is the only thing I don't agree with
the lightning damage from skills enchant is nice but it's worth about an extra crit gem.
which is essentially what shen long's fist of legend gives you.
And sure won khim has extra lightning damage too but shen long has better dex and better base damage and a very powerful set bonus.

won khim is definitely pretty cost effective, but I don't think it's BIS.

I do get what you're saying. But I still stand on my opinion. I think people underestimating the buff on lightning damage. I believe a spirit generator accounts for 60% total damage and probably the 40% are from sweeping wind.

With all talk of how won khim affects cyclones damage. The weapon can affect to 70-80% of a crit monks total damage.
Reply Quote
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask - but I can't decide between Flying Dragon or Skorn (as long as it has dex w/1k+ LoH I'm okay with). Of course the rest of the stats matter as well, but in general Skorn is considered to be the superior weapon right? What I want to know is, by how much?

The thing is, FD costs quite a bit less and wouldn't cost my whole fortune to get (which it would for a good Skorn) - so if its not a massive downgrade I'm considering the daibo. And the double attack speed proc seems like it would be quite fun xD

So yeah, I would greatly appreciate peoples opinion on this, thanks!!
Reply Quote
Im using flying dragon it rock well with my build hit very hard 140k (white dmg) 300k to 400k (yellow dmg)
Reply Quote
Hi ZealotLord.

This is as good a thread as any to ask.

From what I gather from others that have used the Flying Dragon, it seems like a good weapon. The proc (according to owners of the Daibo) lasts for about 4 or 5 seconds, and you can expect around 4 attacks per second for the duration. That's pretty awesome if you ask me. Plus, a Daibo seems more fitting for the Monk if that sort of thing matters to you.

I have a Skorn because I got it a few days after the patch when prices were all over the place, and I got mine for about half to a third of what I can sell it for now. I think the Skorn is better for crit builds, and stacking IAS can help with the slowness of the weapon. I'm not sure what your current gear and build look like, or what your plans are for future gear and build, but that might be helpful in determining what you should get.

That said, I would love to try a Flying Dragon, and if you can find one with the right stats, I think you would be happy. You will have trouble finding a Skorn with LoH or life steal for a reasonable price, so Flying Dragon may be your best bet. You might also consider Inna's Reach if you plan to get the Inna's 4 piece (although you could always still get that with the other 4 pieces if you don't want the weapon from the set).

In the end, my personal opinion is go for Flying Dragon if you want to save gold. If gold is no object, get an OP Skorn. You'll be happy either way, but I bet the Daibo proc is more fun. Either way, come back and share your experience on what you buy. There still seems to be alot of question on the new legendary items, and that's why I created this thread in the first place. Thanks for your contribution :D
Reply Quote
08/29/2012 08:23 PMPosted by asskazuki
Im using flying dragon it rock well with my build hit very hard 140k (white dmg) 300k to 400k (yellow dmg)

I bet your Wave of Light crits all the time between your Daibo and ring! Nice combo asskazuki
Reply Quote
I'm happy with my Maximus :D
Using together with Fire mistic ally, I felt like the same as having pets as a Witch Doctor (I even tried to equip Skycutter on my enchantress, but the duration of the angel is too short)
Edited by Zegapain#3912 on 8/29/2012 8:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Won does seem to work well for me so far, I upgraded from a 900 dps, 150 dex, os fist and I kill things noticeably faster.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]