Diablo® III

Best Monk legendary and set items for 1.0.4

I'm happy with my Maximus :D
Using together with Fire mistic ally, I felt like the same as having pets as a Witch Doctor (I even tried to equip Skycutter on my enchantress, but the duration of the angel is too short)

I really wanted Maximus for the demon proc, but I didn't think it would be viable...

I'm glad to here a positive Monk story with it, and hope I can try Maximus in the near future (I don't care if I lose a little DPS, that sword is AWESOME)
Reply Quote
^Not sure what you're saying, because won khim lau can spawn with CD + OS. I'm using one right now...

Shenlong's set is great and is the most balanced - and I agree with the best rolls, it would be BIS, but it wouldn't out-dps a won khim lau + another high dps wep.

People underestimate the +% dmg. There are a lot of hidden modifiers now and just because you have higher dps on paper, it doesn't necessarily mean you do more actual dps. +% dmg doesn't show up on paper unfortunately.

Wow how much $ did your gear cost.
Reply Quote
I really wanted Maximus for the demon proc, but I didn't think it would be viable...

I'm glad to here a positive Monk story with it, and hope I can try Maximus in the near future (I don't care if I lose a little DPS, that sword is AWESOME)

Yeah the demon is great, it hits quite hard (~50k/sec using together with MoC) and the rate to proc is quite high too (almost proc at the start of every fight and last for around 20sec)

Moreover, there's a fire chain between u and the demon. So using dashing strike to trap the mobs in between works great too :D
Reply Quote
Luckly got Won Khim Lau and Innar's pants in one night. They are amazing!
Reply Quote
08/29/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Tongthomson
Luckly got Won Khim Lau and Innar's pants in one night. They are amazing!

Wow, grats!! Good luck getting more Inna's set pieces :)
Reply Quote
Hi ZealotLord.

This is as good a thread as any to ask.

From what I gather from others that have used the Flying Dragon, it seems like a good weapon. The proc (according to owners of the Daibo) lasts for about 4 or 5 seconds, and you can expect around 4 attacks per second for the duration. That's pretty awesome if you ask me. Plus, a Daibo seems more fitting for the Monk if that sort of thing matters to you.

I have a Skorn because I got it a few days after the patch when prices were all over the place, and I got mine for about half to a third of what I can sell it for now. I think the Skorn is better for crit builds, and stacking IAS can help with the slowness of the weapon. I'm not sure what your current gear and build look like, or what your plans are for future gear and build, but that might be helpful in determining what you should get.

That said, I would love to try a Flying Dragon, and if you can find one with the right stats, I think you would be happy. You will have trouble finding a Skorn with LoH or life steal for a reasonable price, so Flying Dragon may be your best bet. You might also consider Inna's Reach if you plan to get the Inna's 4 piece (although you could always still get that with the other 4 pieces if you don't want the weapon from the set).

In the end, my personal opinion is go for Flying Dragon if you want to save gold. If gold is no object, get an OP Skorn. You'll be happy either way, but I bet the Daibo proc is more fun. Either way, come back and share your experience on what you buy. There still seems to be alot of question on the new legendary items, and that's why I created this thread in the first place. Thanks for your contribution :D

Thanks for your detailed input! Appreciate it!

Yea, I'll see if I can find a FD I like at a reasonable price =)
Reply Quote

You're welcome, and good luck with the gear hunt :D
Reply Quote

You're welcome, and good luck with the gear hunt :D

So I managed to get a decent FD (1170dmg 300dex 1200loh & socket) and I've been having a blast playing with it! Overall effectiveness isn't quite as good as the dual wield I was sporting before (though I haven't finished tweaking the rest of my gear yet) - but the invincible feeling you get when it procs is totally worth it for me already, I can stand in desecration and arcane and be absolutely fine xD
Reply Quote
Great thread! Lots of good advice/info in here.

I'm curious though, if you look at my profile/build, what suggestions would you make for me weapons wise?
Reply Quote
Question for Won Khim Lau:

Does the + lightning dmg affect lightning dmg based weapons?
Edited by skeezie#1667 on 8/31/2012 7:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So I managed to get a decent FD (1170dmg 300dex 1200loh & socket) and I've been having a blast playing with it! Overall effectiveness isn't quite as good as the dual wield I was sporting before (though I haven't finished tweaking the rest of my gear yet) - but the invincible feeling you get when it procs is totally worth it for me already, I can stand in desecration and arcane and be absolutely fine xD

Nice find ZealotLord, glad you're having fun with it.

How often would you say it procs while in combat (like every "x" amount of times during "y" seconds of combat).

I know that might be hard to judge since 2 handed combat doesn't tend to last that long, but maybe in an area where you can fight group after group without pause (like some act 3 areas for example).
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 07:24 AMPosted by SoreBoner
Grab echo fury with socket/ias if possible to replace your shield. It will speed your mace up big time making it do much more dps.

Grabbing that will speed up my current mace as well? I will loose a ton of armor though...

Would it be worth dropping both weapons and going with FD ?
Reply Quote
Great thread! Lots of good advice/info in here.

I'm curious though, if you look at my profile/build, what suggestions would you make for me weapons wise?

I would drop dashing Strike and pick up Breath of Heaven with Blazing Wrath for the rune. The 15% damage increase for 45 seconds is worth it, even if you don't feel you need a mild heal button.

Your ally is optional, though I don't prefer it. If you don't find yourself needing spirit, I would at least switch the rune in favor of something with more damage.

As for your post right above this, going dual wield or 2 handed are both good options for Monks, but you need to consider replacing other gear in your setup to maximize your damage, since a good portion of 2 handed survivability comes from how fast we kill things. If you pick dual wield, you can get by with less damage as long as you stack up some LoH. I recommend Loh/life steal on either build, but some 2 handed Monks don't need any once their DPS gets high enough (at least that's what I hear).
Edited by Shinsynn#1794 on 8/31/2012 8:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Grabbing that will speed up my current mace as well? I will loose a ton of armor though...

Would it be worth dropping both weapons and going with FD ?

No you lose what 1206 armor and 51 res, but itll pry put u over the 30kdps wall easily, leaving ur armor at 6600 and res right around 700 trust us its a good investment!
Reply Quote
Thanks guys. I recently purchased two new rings with crit chance to boost that up. I also am bidding on a Necklace with 600+ LoH and crit Chance so I should be good on both of those now.

Now just to decide on off hand weapon. If I drop shield I will loose both armor and resist. However I would imagine if my DPS is high enough that I should be ok. Just need to figure out if I should duel or go 2H.
Reply Quote
Hey everyone.

I've been working on the list today and plan to post something soon (for those that haven't seen the edited OP, I'm compiling a list of the most viable legendary and set items for each slot with a set description section at the end).

Do you think I should just edit the OP here or start a new thread? Either is fine for me.

Thanks,
Shinsynn
Edited by Shinsynn#1794 on 8/31/2012 12:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Question for Won Khim Lau:

Does the + lightning dmg affect lightning dmg based weapons?

No: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6412213561?page=4#75
Reply Quote
Thanks for the forward Piffle!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]