Diablo® III

a gripe, and its not about blizz!

90 Undead Death Knight
so i bought a brand new computer today (old one is...well... dieing, fast, and hard...)

sadly i have lost almost all of my install discs for pretty much every game i own (we moved a month ago, guess they didn't make it)

so this entire weekend i get to re-install by way of downloading... blergh...

i don't know if you guys have checked but WoW, now-a-days, is a monstrous directory to have to download every single byte on a network that caps your download speed >.<

thankfully d3 doesn't have any expansions yet so i may actually get to play it tonight!

may god have mercy on my neighbors if my connection drops today.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
i still plan on rebuilding the older computer (once i replace a few heatsinks, the powersupply, maybe get a better dvd drive, might have to replace the processor, too, eventually, its showing its age) and... i did have it all backed up on an external 500gb hd (the installs/latest patches).... that apparently was in the same box as the discs when we moved... so whoever got my old apartment now has the last 12 years of MMO gaming pre-installed and fully patched, ready to go.

except for map packs for everquest, add-ons for Wow, etc etc, anyway.
Reply Quote
Any chance you can switch your ISP? Sounds like you're capped at a fairly slow speed.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
sadly, no, due to the fact that i live in new orleans.. there is no "true" highspeed down here without a satellite, which is a "terri-bad" idea for gaming, and also against the terms of my lease (no dishes allowed on the property). the main problem is my router is almost as old as the MMO genre, and it caps network traffic to the point of absurdity. my brand new cable modem -could- go 50mb/s for both me and my brother on patch day.. but the router says no and we get 250-500kbps >.<
Reply Quote
You can get a decent router for little money these days, this Netgear is under 50 and does N band.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122235
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
yeh i know. my problem is that i don't care enough about it. it runs just fine while in the game (and that was when both my brother and i were the dedicated raid tanks in WoW), its just patch day and days like today that suck, heh.
Reply Quote
I keep all of my software and or games installation files on thumb drives that I buy only when they are on sale, and all my thumb drives are attached to a jailers key ring. And the key ring is kept locked to my laptop computer through a security cable.

If an emergency comes up (like evacuation due to fire in the mountains next to us) then the laptop gets grabbed and the thumb drives all come with it. I haven't needed to redownload any software and or games except for one that I forgot to put on a thumb drive, in a long long time now.

I only buy the 64GB or the 128GB when they are on super sales, last time I bought a new 128GB I think I paid around 30 cents per GB when it was found on sale.
Edited by Runar#1385 on 8/26/2012 10:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
WOW. That is totally amazing dude.
Reply Quote
Unless I'm remembering wrong, what we used to do (when we had damaged disks on the MMO's that we played) was to go and spend the $1.99 to buy the "trial" edition and install from that, and then let the game update itself when we logged in as a subscriber. It still had to download a great deal of data but not nearly as much as if we just started from scratch and had to download the entire game from the MMO site.

I seem to remember doing this with WOW for that matter, but this was nearly 3 or more years ago so I dont' know if it would still be feasible to do this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]