Diablo® III

Not having fun? Try Iron-man mode ...

Start a new character (preferable on an empty server where Blacksmith and Jeweller are both level zero).

- Solo play only (optionally you can play with the exact same partner/group but not with the random public; you decide if found items can be shared);
- Use only the items that you find with this character (or possibly bought from in game vendors);
- Don't use any gem that you wouldn't be able to create at your present level (optionally only use gems that you pick up);
- Don't use any Blacksmith plan that wasn't found by the character (optionally don't use the Blacksmith at all until you reach level 60). As stated above, it is best to start with a Blacksmith at level zero but you can simulate this by buying and selling items to create a loss that simulates spending money that would have been spent to level the Blacksmith and/or Jeweller;
- You may not buy or sell (optionally can sell) items on either Auction House;
- Use only the money that this character collects;
- No replaying or farming previous areas (optional) or not in an excessive way (unless stuck);
- Basically no outside help, twinking, or exploits in any way;
- Death is allowed unless you choose to play Hardcore Iron-man; and
- For an advanced challenge, pick a Monster Power level from 1 to 10 but stick with it until you reach Inferno (then you can set to zero or any other number, if you wish).
- Still too easy? Try naked iron-man (no armour, shield, etc. just use a weapon)

I call this Iron-man mode; take on the challenge and you may find the game fun and challenging again.

I suspect some people get bored because they have been power leveled, bought all their gear from the Auction Houses, and either given good items or used items they have found to seed their new characters with only the best equipment and gems. Many people played Iron-man when they first started playing Diablo 3; well why not play that way again? Oh, and take your time playing as it is NOT a contest to see who gets to Level 60 the fastest, unless of course that is how YOU have fun.

Extra: Here is someone else's challenge that is along the same lines: Narull's Random Hardcore Challenge: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6490399005
Use the auto-generator to randomly determine what character you play, what skills and runes are allowed to be used and even what follower and their abilities that you use. Hardcore up and good luck!

Extra #2: Here is my proposal for a Self-found mode that could be incorporated into the game and be selected via checkbox: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9309641216

Extra #3: (26 Jun 2014) Okay, so Reapers of Souls expansion has been out for a few months and much of the new way of playing seems to be much like the ideas in this and the Self Found treads. If you would like to play some characters in a Self Found style then join Clan SFL (Self Found League). Rules:

SF LEAGUE RULES

- OKAY: Use only character(s) that find all their own items; optionally share items between your other SF characters; buy from/use in-game vendors; craft (using SF gems / mats / recipes); using mystic and transmogrification; and one-way item transfers to non-SF characters; and

- NOT OKAY for SFL Characters: Trading; dropping items for other players; buying items from third party sites; botting; power-leveling; multiboxing; using any kind of exploit; using non-level appropriate gems; etc.
Edited by SirRight#1618 on 6/26/2014 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I pretty much did this the first time I ran through this game. On my monk I leveled all the way to Hell Diablo and got stuck. It wasn't until then I started seeing what the AH was and how NEEDED it is in the later game.
Reply Quote
Hmm I played like this from the start and just killed Diablo in Inferno yesterday, the recent patch has made it far too easy before the patch I had completed Act 2 inferno but Act 3 was kicking my butt.
Reply Quote
Hi Waffle, if you check out my Wizard, she is my iron-man character (the others use the items she finds). I have been stuck in inferno but have never bought any items from the AH yet. For me, it will be a huge achievement if I can make it all the way through this way. Oh and she has 100 magic find as well, from just her equipment.

I recently found a better weapon and just got past the Skeleton King.

Edit, the filter doesn't like Waffle's name (the last part).
Edited by SirRight#1618 on 8/26/2012 10:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's been a couple of months and the forums are starting to lose the extreme, adolescent, negativity; thought it was time to resurrect this thread. Many people are talking about using console mode in another popular 'D3 type' game, in order to have the best characters with the best items and at the maximum level. Or you can use AH here to almost do the same thing.

Okay, for the 10% (?) of the people who do not use a cheat, crutch, exploit, etc. in order to play a game then Ironman is for you. Go check my two main characters and notice that I have not finished inferno...actually I'm kind of stuck in Inferno and in Hell levels. I might get upset but I am fully challenged and will feel an extreme feeling of accomplishment on the day that I do progress.

Note to file: I do allow my second character to use items found (or previously used) by the first, thus I am not playing my second character in a pure Ironman mode.
Reply Quote
I played the first two difficulties without ever using the AH. By the time hell rolled around I realized if I didn't use it I would be stuck in nightmare forever.

Nobody wants to farm nightmare for months to find enough upgrades just to progress into hell. If drops were better it would be fine, but they're not.
Reply Quote
In all honesty, just going AH free is enough to make the game more enjoyable. My best character (WD) is only using items I've found. I'm still having a blast despite having 3 char unable to progress into A2.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
"on an empty server" <- Huh? /scratches head

You don't pick which server you're on, nor do you have any idea what number of players are on any individual server at any given time.

The only other way to revert a BS/JC to unleveled is to roll a new character in a different region (that is, if your current characters are in The Americas, you have to switch to Asia or Europe regions). Keep in mind that doing so may result in rather severe latency due to differences in geographical locations.

Reply Quote
"on an empty server" <- Huh? /scratches head

You don't pick which server you're on, nor do you have any idea what number of players are on any individual server at any given time.

The only other way to revert a BS/JC to unleveled is to roll a new character in a different region (that is, if your current characters are in The Americas, you have to switch to Asia or Europe regions). Keep in mind that doing so may result in rather severe latency due to differences in geographical locations.

Hi Tiapriestess, that is exactly what I mean-to use a different region server. My wife and I live in North America and play together on the Europe server with no issues. Separate regions also allow you to play differently because items found are separate. Multiplay all you want on one region and Ironman play on a different region, or exercise self control and play on the same server but with the rules outlined in original post.
Reply Quote
09/30/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Royjr
yeah, thats not fun! Any relationship to jay?

Perhaps not fun for you or the other 90% of the players. This is fun for some of us.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
09/30/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Royjr
yeah, thats not fun! Any relationship to jay?

Go check out the gamefaqs.com message boards for some of the RPGs. Iron Man Challenges are a pretty big passtime for many players. It isn't for everybody, but then again, neither is hardcore in Diablo 3.

Reply Quote
Here is a link to the WOW Ironman challenge-it's hard!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3269547347#1

Mine is a softer Ironman (death is allowed). Of course you can play Ironman even harder than I have suggested...I just want the people who really like a challenge to love the game again.
Edited by SirRight#1618 on 9/30/2012 8:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
selling on ah = iron man fail.

edit: also by definition, iron man is almost always hardcore, using gears you find in game.
Edited by donk#1506 on 9/30/2012 8:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

edit: also by definition, iron man is almost always hardcore, using gears you find in game.

"donk" (his/her username), you have a good point. I thought that at least you could sell items for money that could be used to level your Gem guy and Armour/Weapon guy but you could certainly choose not to allow even that. Play it the way you wish to but stick with it through the entire game.

Yes I did say that in the post that you can't buy gear or use any gear from another character, just what you find.
Edited by SirRight#1618 on 9/30/2012 8:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That's very close to what I'm actually doing on all my characters.
Not really to have a challenge.

It just seems to me that the auction house would destroy any fun/excitement about the game.

People sell items you can use to clear inferno for like 10k gold. It's stupid.
Reply Quote

"donk" (his/her username), you have a good point. I thought that at least you could sell items for money that could be used to level your Gem guy and Armour/Weapon guy but you could certainly choose not to allow even that. Play it the way you wish to but stick with it through the entire game.

Yes I did say that in the post that you can't buy gear or use any gear from another character, just what you find.

You can have fun doing what you're doing, but it isn't "iron man".
As far as I remember iron man in d2 involved hardcore 8 player games totally untwinked and you would pvp after reaching a certain level or the end of a certain act. For the record my hc wd is playing untwinked but I don't consider it "iron man". However, It is the funnest way to play the game up to inferno ;)
Reply Quote
@donk,

As Tiapriensess stated above, there are many games that have an Ironman challenge and each is slightly different. Don't like the name Ironman then let's call it something else. Any ideas?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]