Diablo® III

Not having fun? Try Iron-man mode ...

What I did with my female wiz was similar. But also:
- No experience farming. Move only through the critical path to solve each quest - No deviations, no cleaning up a map if not necessary to progress to the next quest.

I finished normal at level 28, nightmare at level 49 and hell at the start of level 59.

This would also be a form of Ironman that would definitely give one a challenge!
Reply Quote
They should have ironman realms (or servers whatever you want to call it). No AH, no trading of any kind. Maybe multiplayer games still allowed. But still no trading or can't see what people drop on the ground. Ironman realms would make for the type of "ladder season" I'd re-roll.

Wouldn't be for everyone but I wouldn't be interested in ladder resets of server with rules as they are, as long as you can pool gear together or buy gold from 3rd party sites.

I know the thread isn't about ladder resets but if you expand the idea of ironman to ladder resets that could be very interesting!

I agree. Maybe a blue will see this and propose this in the future?
Reply Quote
This could even be a ladder event that is reset after a period. Some people can play more hours than others, so there would have to be some sort of averaging to determine a winner?
Reply Quote
Almost everyone did this initially. I made it to Act 1 Inferno before I hit a brick wall and couldnt progress any further. No amount of runs in Act 1 fixed that either. I had to wait for the inferno nerf to proceed any further.

One could say they nerfed inferno too much and its too easy now, but universally I think everyone knew it was much too hard before. Finishing the game without buying on AH was initially impossible (by design I suspect).

At least now you can get through Inferno, solo, using only found items.
Reply Quote
View profile
I have a hardcore monk; no AH, public games, or trading of any kind. I full-clear all maps, and I'm on MP10 (been on it since the beginning). It is pretty fun :)
Reply Quote
Almost everyone did this initially. I made it to Act 1 Inferno before I hit a brick wall and couldnt progress any further. No amount of runs in Act 1 fixed that either. I had to wait for the inferno nerf to proceed any further.

One could say they nerfed inferno too much and its too easy now, but universally I think everyone knew it was much too hard before. Finishing the game without buying on AH was initially impossible (by design I suspect).

At least now you can get through Inferno, solo, using only found items.

What I am constantly seeing is new people who buy the game then the first thing they do is get powerleveled and probably given lots of items. Of course they get bored and complain about the game later, because the game was spoiled for them early on.

I agree that Inferno was too hard initially. I haven't played my level 60 characters only because I have so much stuff that I found, for other characters (gotta make room in the inventory). Wish you could buy another tab or two of inventory slots.
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Death Knight
08/26/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Ginnel
Hmm I played like this from the start and just killed Diablo in Inferno yesterday, the recent patch has made it far too easy before the patch I had completed Act 2 inferno but Act 3 was kicking my butt.

^^^ post on an account that has really done it -- you have 24 lifetime kills... :/
Reply Quote
12/26/2012 03:29 PMPosted by Espionage724
I have a hardcore monk; no AH, public games, or trading of any kind. I full-clear all maps, and I'm on MP10 (been on it since the beginning). It is pretty fun :)

I checked; he is your level 16 monk? Good luck and hope you make it to level 60.
Reply Quote
12/26/2012 03:38 PMPosted by Jenmojax
Hmm I played like this from the start and just killed Diablo in Inferno yesterday, the recent patch has made it far too easy before the patch I had completed Act 2 inferno but Act 3 was kicking my butt.

^^^ post on an account that has really done it -- you have 24 lifetime kills... :/

Maybe he deleted all his characters so he could start over?
Reply Quote
Not fun if you cant upgrade IN game. Dying because you're undergeared is NOT fun.

And from the looks of things, OP stopped playing and I'm pretty sure for the reason I stated above.

Props for staying positive though but the reality is negative.
Reply Quote
Not fun if you cant upgrade IN game. Dying because you're undergeared is NOT fun.

And from the looks of things, OP stopped playing and I'm pretty sure for the reason I stated above.

Props for staying positive though but the reality is negative.

It's not for everyone but those who like a challenge, or like to work for things care for this style of play.

I (the Original Poster or OP) do still play, 3 or 4 times a week for 3 to 5 hours each session. I've just been working on my Barb and when he is level 60, I will play my new DH.
Reply Quote
I've been playing like this since day 1.
Reply Quote
12/29/2012 12:16 AMPosted by Animastyle
I've been playing like this since day 1.

And I would guess that you and I are two of the few people still having fun...
Reply Quote
You're not alone. There are many more of us weirdos :)
Reply Quote
<-- Here's another fool doing the same thing ;)

(although I cheated and used a few upped gems to quickly get going with my new WD)
Reply Quote
I think the fact that everything started over when I made my first hardcore character is what I liked the most. Although my first died to DC at level 17 and my second attempt ended in pure 4AM stupidity, I am gonna go back and do another HC character only using what I find with him. I started off with my softcore wiz going selffound, and I guess my lack of patience just got to me and led me to the GAH. It is true that a person bypasses many hours of play just from a few AH purchases. Since the game has become easier, there is no doubt a person could beat MP0 or MP1 Inferno without using the AH. The character may not be the 10 minute Alkaizer runner everybody wants, but that character beat the game.
Reply Quote
01/01/2013 11:04 AMPosted by xCATARROx
boring game is boring...
Not far from the truth. However, this type of play for me personally has helped to alleviate some of that boredom. Others results/opinions will vary.
Reply Quote
01/01/2013 11:35 AMPosted by Hub
I think the fact that everything started over when I made my first hardcore character is what I liked the most. Although my first died to DC at level 17 and my second attempt ended in pure 4AM stupidity, I am gonna go back and do another HC character only using what I find with him. I started off with my softcore wiz going selffound, and I guess my lack of patience just got to me and led me to the GAH. It is true that a person bypasses many hours of play just from a few AH purchases. Since the game has become easier, there is no doubt a person could beat MP0 or MP1 Inferno without using the AH. The character may not be the 10 minute Alkaizer runner everybody wants, but that character beat the game.

I might try hardcore when they have the disconnect problems worked out.

I've never bought from either Auction House but many threads say you have a huge advantage with the right equipment.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]