Diablo® III

Not having fun? Try Iron-man mode ...

02/27/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Orrmighty
how bout....try a new game instead of trying to invent ways to make this one fun

@Orrmighty. Why not do both?
Reply Quote
IMO Blacksmith shouldn't be allowed until lvl60, sometimes he really improves a character who wasn't found an upgrade for certain equipment for a while.
Edited by ImLinX#1423 on 3/2/2013 9:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
03/02/2013 08:40 AMPosted by ImLinX
IMO Blacksmith shouldn't be allowed until lvl60, sometimes he really improves a character who wasn't found an upgrade for certain equipment for a while.

Excellent idea! I never thought of that. I will change the original post to reflect that you can't use any plans that were not found by that character. Optionally, the Blacksmith shouldn't be used at all or only when you reach level 60 or a certain difficulty...I'll have to think on this.

Edit: Added the following - "- Don't use any Blacksmith plan that wasn't found by the character (optionally don't use the Blacksmith at all until you reach level 60). As stated above, it is best to start with a Blacksmith at level zero but you can simulate this by buying and selling items to create a loss that simulates spending money that would have been spent to level the Blacksmith and/or Jeweller;"
Edited by SirRight#1618 on 3/2/2013 11:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
I liked D2 iron mans. Hardcore, level to whatever with self found items, duel...losers are dead.
Reply Quote
I really like this idea. This is what I was hoping for in D3 to begin with, and what's always been missing, a gaming option and a community dedicated entirely to playing the game with what you find. Imagine if everyone had to self-find all gear and there was some kind of a ladder/rating system?

Blizz got it backwards when they created the AH: it's not about making gear finding easier through an auction house, it's about making gear finding extremely tough. They should've just eliminated all trading in D3. All they'd have to be doing these days is adding in new, sought-after gear with each patch.
Reply Quote
My idea of fun is not making the game harder. It's literally decimating everything on screen with a few clicks.
Reply Quote
03/02/2013 12:30 PMPosted by JJLXL
My idea of fun is not making the game harder. It's literally decimating everything on screen with a few clicks.

Cool. If and when you find that this is no longer fun for you, then you may wish to challenge yourself with this system. Believe it or not, many people like to work for what they get vice just obtaining the the best items, the easiest way.
Reply Quote
I really like this idea. This is what I was hoping for in D3 to begin with, and what's always been missing, a gaming option and a community dedicated entirely to playing the game with what you find. Imagine if everyone had to self-find all gear and there was some kind of a ladder/rating system?

Blizz got it backwards when they created the AH: it's not about making gear finding easier through an auction house, it's about making gear finding extremely tough. They should've just eliminated all trading in D3. All they'd have to be doing these days is adding in new, sought-after gear with each patch.

@ ShadowSlayer. I believe the AH was strictly a business decision; they are in the business to make money. Honestly, most people, now-a-days, just want convenience and will pay for it. We are the few, true, fans of gaming that need to show off our characters with what we found vice what we bought or traded.

I agree that a separate server would be wonderful but they would probably have to charge us a monthly fee to pay for it.
Edited by SirRight#1618 on 3/6/2013 11:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
I remember doing Iron Man in Diablo 2 with a few friends. Good times.
Reply Quote
I just read the latest developer journal and wouldn't this system be something they could use? Just have a separate server that doesn't have an AH or allow trade. Most of us could use more character slots anyway :)
Reply Quote
Iron Man Challenge... good idea!

.... maybe Birthday Challenge... fight your way up in your birthday suit.
Reply Quote
Iron Man Challenge... good idea!

.... maybe Birthday Challenge... fight your way up in your birthday suit.

Okay but no cheating by using the dye that makes your armour look invisible!
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Zodiac
When did this 'Ironman' term replace the original 'Purist' term? Dosnt even make sense. Does this come from WOW?

I've seen it used in roguelikes, which started in the 70s.

So... no.
Reply Quote
Just a thought that if you play iron-man mode, use a self-find methodology and don't use the AHs, the recent gold dupe bug has no affect on your play.
Reply Quote
This is impossible because Blizzard doesnt allow you to get drops from playing the actual game.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Dabrixmgp
This is impossible because Blizzard doesnt allow you to get drops from playing the actual game.

Not true. Check out my characters, all self-found items. Now, I have to state that I allow myself to use items that any of my characters find but I don't trade and have never bought off of the AH. Sure I've hit a wall, but buying items is like an athlete using steroids to win the race; sure he won but didn't do it on his/her own..
Reply Quote
I recently started something like that, except i added few more rules for myself.

1) Character has max 3 "extra lives", i subtract one every time it dies, and gets gets that extra life back every time quest is finished, or goldie/blue pack is killed. Lose all lives and the death will be recorded for shame.

2) World is persistent, no going back to farm older quests - except after running out of lives.

3) Normal to Hell is MP10 mode, and then each inferno MP level unlocks the next difficulty.

The aim is to kill MP10 diablo with least deaths possible.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I did this and plan on doing it again when I get home. I enjoyed the difficulty and lost one character on the way. I got to level 58 and fell in a big hole, not progressing because my level was too high for the areas that I could safely play with my self found gear. I probably could have continued to grind until 60, but really didn't want to loose my character by then.

My son stepped in to save my butt and leveled me to 60, then spent 10 mil on new gear for me at the AH. Yeah. quite good fun, and even better fun with 106k life lol.
Edited by Septimus#6445 on 5/10/2013 12:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Iron man or not, there's still no uniqueness. Every item is just a stat stick/brick, weapon damage is still reliant on its high damage roll.. Everybody still aims for trifecta. Everybody aims for crit, the only difference is how you crit.

Its subjective so my experience or point may be different that others but this is how I see it.
Will check the game out every patch and I hope something major happens even before the expansion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]