Diablo® III

Not having fun? Try Iron-man mode ...

Will I able to fly? or have a chest cannon?
Reply Quote
A fresh start is always fun after awhile. I'm doing that with hardcore mode now. I think people want ladders to start from scratch again, which isn't a bad suggestion to Blizz. I miss the days when inferno was insanely hard, lol. There doesn't seem to be a challenge anymore :( .
Reply Quote
I recently started something like that, except i added few more rules for myself.

1) Character has max 3 "extra lives", i subtract one every time it dies, and gets gets that extra life back every time quest is finished, or goldie/blue pack is killed. Lose all lives and the death will be recorded for shame.

2) World is persistent, no going back to farm older quests - except after running out of lives.

3) Normal to Hell is MP10 mode, and then each inferno MP level unlocks the next difficulty.

The aim is to kill MP10 diablo with least deaths possible.

Wow! You definitely like a challenge. That would be an interesting idea to have a hardcore-like mode where you can earn and lose lives--lose the last one and the character dies.
Reply Quote
I haven't been playing this but I like the concept, I personally started on MP10 and wanted to go through the entire game solo on MP10 and see how well I'd do, I'm somewhat curious now, I might switch regions.
Reply Quote
My monk on these servers (US) is being played this way. And yes, it does provide some extra challenge, and has given me motivation to play more per day lately than for many months before...
Reply Quote
Yeah, I did this and plan on doing it again when I get home. I enjoyed the difficulty and lost one character on the way. I got to level 58 and fell in a big hole, not progressing because my level was too high for the areas that I could safely play with my self found gear. I probably could have continued to grind until 60, but really didn't want to loose my character by then.

My son stepped in to save my butt and leveled me to 60, then spent 10 mil on new gear for me at the AH. Yeah. quite good fun, and even better fun with 106k life lol.

I play that any gear I find can be used by any character. When I start a character, it is twinked and I only play at MP10. I start to have major problems when I get to hell level, and for some bosses at lower levels, therefore have no choice but reduce the MP by 1 for each new area.

Now that I have all five character types at level 60 (well the DH is at 59), I have sold off all twink items. When I start a new character, there will be no twinking at all and I will be playing full ironman style.
Reply Quote
My first HC character was Iron Man. I made it all the way to Hell Act 4, found an 800 dps weapon, a huge upgrade to my 300 dps weapon...

And then Nekarat killed me.

I will probably try Iron Man mode again after the Itemization patch when 98% of the loot isn't worthless.
Reply Quote
05/10/2013 01:05 AMPosted by MaxiRAoK
Will I able to fly? or have a chest cannon?

Thank you for the thread bump!
Reply Quote
What if you already did this and the game is still boring?
Reply Quote
05/10/2013 01:03 PMPosted by Vyleblud
What if you already did this and the game is still boring?

Then this type of game may not be for you. Put it down for 6 months and play something else, then maybe try it again later.

Edit: I just looked at your monk and you have the best luck to find the best items that I have ever seen! Self-found ironman style is obviously good to you!
Edited by SirRight#1618 on 5/10/2013 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Edit: I just looked at your monk and you have the best luck to find the best items that I have ever seen! Self-found ironman style is obviously good to you!

I honestly don't know much about monks, to the extent that I don't even know what item you're referencing. Just leveled him and threw gear I had cluttering my stash in the hopes i would get into it, but I didn't.
Reply Quote
If Ironman is too easy, do Naked Ironman.
Reply Quote
~Ironman~

Hardcore Only (If it's not hardcore, it's not ironman.)
Self found/ Party found Only (Items in your stash from previous characters are not self found. Move "old" mats and gems to some other stash area. Old gold isn't so bad since all you can use with it is to do crafting which is limited by the mats you pick up anyway. No purchasing from vendor. Level of Blacksmith/Jeweler isn't important.)
MP10 Only (At least until Inferno mode. That point you'll go from mp0 to mp10.)
You can't replay areas. (Ironman is strictly "NO FARMING" Maximize EXP by killing everything you can. Ex: Let the non-infinite spawners spawn until they are dry.)
Consistent Party (Your party needs to be all ironmans and those characters are reserved for playing only in this group, while the entire group is available.)

See, if you do it this way, you can knock out the rules for

"Don't use any gem that you wouldn't be able to create at your present level"
"Don't use any Blacksmith plan that wasn't found by the character"

Not having access to old gems and materials in your stash makes this rule irrelevant.

"You may not buy or sell items on either Auction House"

You can sell items on the Auction House, the gold you get isn't going to be that useful. Remember the gold is only used for crafting and repairing, one of which is limited to the amount of materials you have anyway, and the other is a negligible cost since you aren't allowed to die anyway. You can't purchase ANYTHING (hint! No pots) from the vendors anyway so the amount of gold you have is irrelevant. Buying from Auction House isn't self found, so it's already covered with the self found only part anyway.

"Use only the money that this character collects"

Too hard to keep track off, and as with the above, is basically irrelevant, since it's only used for crafting and repairing. Optionally, for the uberironman experience, you can't repair.

At the very least, playing like this is definitely possible at the very least up to Inferno.
Edited by Giasumaru#1636 on 5/10/2013 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/10/2013 07:11 PMPosted by Giasumaru
Hardcore Only

Eh. I'd try it with an offline mode. I'm not interested in the "challenge" presented by trying to compensate for bad isp/server stability.
Reply Quote
Needs linny's approval
Reply Quote
~Ironman~

Hardcore Only (If it's not hardcore, it's not ironman.)
Self found/ Party found Only (Items in your stash from previous characters are not self found. Move "old" mats and gems to some other stash area. Old gold isn't so bad since all you can use with it is to do crafting which is limited by the mats you pick up anyway. No purchasing from vendor. Level of Blacksmith/Jeweler isn't important.)
MP10 Only (At least until Inferno mode. That point you'll go from mp0 to mp10.)
You can't replay areas. (Ironman is strictly "NO FARMING" Maximize EXP by killing everything you can. Ex: Let the non-infinite spawners spawn until they are dry.)
Consistent Party (Your party needs to be all ironmans and those characters are reserved for playing only in this group, while the entire group is available.)

See, if you do it this way, you can knock out the rules for

"Don't use any gem that you wouldn't be able to create at your present level"
"Don't use any Blacksmith plan that wasn't found by the character"

Not having access to old gems and materials in your stash makes this rule irrelevant.

"You may not buy or sell items on either Auction House"

You can sell items on the Auction House, the gold you get isn't going to be that useful. Remember the gold is only used for crafting and repairing, one of which is limited to the amount of materials you have anyway, and the other is a negligible cost since you aren't allowed to die anyway. You can't purchase ANYTHING (hint! No pots) from the vendors anyway so the amount of gold you have is irrelevant. Buying from Auction House isn't self found, so it's already covered with the self found only part anyway.

"Use only the money that this character collects"

Too hard to keep track off, and as with the above, is basically irrelevant, since it's only used for crafting and repairing. Optionally, for the uberironman experience, you can't repair.

At the very least, playing like this is definitely possible at the very least up to Inferno.

I really like your "no replaying of areas" and will add this. The rest of what you said is fine; each person can play the way they feel they get the best challenge/enjoyment. Thanks.
Reply Quote
Also an awesome challenge: Narull's Random Hardcore Challenge:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6490399005

You use the linked character generator to generate which character you will play, which skills you may use and what monster power you can play on.
Reply Quote
Also an awesome challenge: Narull's Random Hardcore Challenge:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6490399005

You use the linked character generator to generate which character you will play, which skills you may use and what monster power you can play on.

I really like this idea and will probably try it. Do people use "(NC)" after the generated character name to denote that this character is playing Naruli's Challenge?

I dislike the idea of using the auction house, but with this challenge, I would (probably would have no choice).

That site that someone made to auto-generate all the stats is well done. I know there will still be people who will keep re rolling until they get a character they want to play, but that defeats the purpose.
Edited by SirRight#1618 on 5/11/2013 8:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I really like this idea and will probably try it. Do people use "(NC)" after the generated character name to denote that this character is playing Naruli's Challenge?

Hmm not sure about that, but it certainly could be.

05/11/2013 08:31 AMPosted by SirRight
I dislike the idea of using the auction house, but with this challenge, I would (probably would have no choice).

You can use stuff found by other toons, but not purchased by them.

Have fun.
Reply Quote
I got bored early on, and I have been rolling hardcores and playing them solo with only self-found/bought gear on Monster power 10. No AH (except to sell stuff I cant use).

Havent got any past Act 3 Normal yet, but I'm just in it for the personal challenge, not to impress anyone with my mad skills.

- Claybeard
"Ye can always tell a dwarf, but ye cannae tell him much."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]