Diablo® III

Finally Stutter Free,I Feel Dumb...

Blizzard, you deserve an apology. I am sorry for blaming you for the stutter.

I feel dumb now, anyone reading this, please don't give me a hard time, I am posting this to help others with this issue... 550TI User

Disclaimer:
-If you aren't sure what overclocking or underclocking Is you probably shouldn't mess with it. -If you don't know what you are doing you can DESTROY your system or graphics card.
-I am in no way shape or form responsible for damage to anyone's machine or card.

Like many others I bought a brand new machine and G.Card just for D3. I had stutter issues since the may patch. Before the patch I could play stutter free for hours. I tried everything I could find on this issue to no avail... I recently started digging deeper into overclocking and underclocking to improve D3. I downloaded MSI afterburner only to find out my card was still set at stock values (Witch is normal, I know) My core clock was set at 900.

Something I also noticed... Random system spikes on my machine. Then it came to me... My graphics card was severely underclocked for my system causing bottlenecking. I then went into MSI overclocked to 1000 after a few before and after tests and now after months of stuttering D3 runs perfectly. Of course I'm sure I won't be able to keep it this high for other games, most high end games run my G.Card GPU to almost 100% usage. Here's the kicker, Diablo 3 only uses half of my cards GPU usage therefore I can raise my core clock to a comfortable level along with a balanced voltage and fan settings.

I feel so dumb, I was trying all these other fixes when the real problem was right under my nose. I am also VERY sorry for blaming Blizzard for this issue.
Reply Quote
Blizzard, you deserve an apology. I am sorry for blaming you for the stutter.

I feel dumb now, anyone reading this, please don't give me a hard time, I am posting this to help others with this issue... 550TI User

Disclaimer:
-If you aren't sure what overclocking or underclocking Is you probably shouldn't mess with it. -If you don't know what you are doing you can DESTROY your system or graphics card.
-I am in no way shape or form responsible for damage to anyone's machine or card.

Like many others I bought a brand new machine and G.Card just for D3. I had stutter issues since the may patch. Before the patch I could play stutter free for hours. I tried everything I could find on this issue to no avail... I recently started digging deeper into overclocking and underclocking to improve D3. I downloaded MSI afterburner only to find out my card was still set at stock values (Witch is normal, I know) My core clock was set at 900.

Something I also noticed... Random system spikes on my machine. Then it came to me... My graphics card was severely underclocked for my system causing bottlenecking. I then went into MSI overclocked to 1000 after a few before and after tests and now after months of stuttering D3 runs perfectly. Of course I'm sure I won't be able to keep it this high for other games, most high end games run my G.Card GPU to almost 100% usage. Here's the kicker, Diablo 3 only uses half of my cards GPU usage therefore I can raise my core clock to a comfortable level along with a balanced voltage and fan settings.

I feel so dumb, I was trying all these other fixes when the real problem was right under my nose. I am also VERY sorry for blaming Blizzard for this issue.

Well, to be honest, it's not your fault. You certainly shouldn't have to overclock your graphics card to get rid of the stuttering; especially, considering your card is more than capable of handing it. The fault lies with blizzard with the way the game handles the graphics. I suppose given some time, it will smooth itself out.
Reply Quote
Update: So, I come to find out it had nothing to do with overclocking at all for me. In Nvidia control panel there is an option for physics to have your system cpu control it or you graphics card control it. Switch this back to your CPU if you have it on your video card. Diablo three uses your system's CPU for physics NOT your graphics card. If you have it set to your graphics card Diablo 3 and your card will fight each other causing bottlenecks. AFTER I SWITCHED THIS OPTION BACK, NO STUTTERING AT ALL.

I really hope this helps some...

T.V.A.
Reply Quote
Anyone with AMD Radeon who can help me on this? :(
Reply Quote
Update: So, I come to find out it had nothing to do with overclocking at all for me. In Nvidia control panel there is an option for physics to have your system cpu control it or you graphics card control it. Switch this back to your CPU if you have it on your video card. Diablo three uses your system's CPU for physics NOT your graphics card. If you have it set to your graphics card Diablo 3 and your card will fight each other causing bottlenecks. AFTER I SWITCHED THIS OPTION BACK, NO STUTTERING AT ALL.

T.V.A.

Will try and see if my ATI card has a similar setting, if this works will post.

Also, if it's true, the D3 is stupid.
Reply Quote
What you are talking about is PhysX which i believe isnt supported by diablo 3
Reply Quote

T.V.A.

If it works I'd appreciate if you post it, i don't find any way to change that for ATI
Reply Quote
08/29/2012 06:13 PMPosted by feszy
What you are talking about is PhysX which i believe isnt supported by diablo 3

You are right... That is also what I am saying. In Nvidia settings turn it back to CPU not your G.Card. Forcing your card to use physics makes D3 lagg because D3 does not support it therefore your card will fight diablo to run the physics when Diablo 3 is already trying to run it from your CPU (Something Like That)

"Also, if it's true, the D3 is stupid."

Yes I agree they are too. They are too busy worrying about the AH and new content to see something that was right there the whole time...

EDIT: I no longer have my card overclocked to 1000, I just don't trust D3 with my card as of now... Anyone overclocking D3 needs to be extremely careful...

Update: With more tweaking I figured that in order to run it smooth I had to do a combination of overclocking and the phys change in Nvidia c.p.

There is still stutter here and there and I think this has to do with server lag and assets loading. If you log into a game and there is a large amount of stutter try exiting and creating a new game. Not all the way out just to resume game screen. When you resume a new game you will get onto another server with hopefully less lag. This works for me some at times...

Tip: At least install MSI afterburner even if you don't want to mess around with overclocking, With this tool you can also watch your G.card temp/And control fans (On some cards) Just to make sure D3 isn't destroying your card.

I have been living and breathing the stutter issue since may patch, trying to fix it day and night. I want others to be able to enjoy a game that they paid for and DESERVE to play.

I think the reason for stutter on such high end cards is because D3 doesn't yet understand how to full utilize your G.Card. Without my card overclocked for D3 I would just get lag because D3 Was HOLDING MY CARD BACK, nice cards don't like to be held back. My card would have to work HARDER (overheating) to make D3 run while at normal core clock A.K.A. one of the reasons for stutter...
If you have any Q's lemme know guys...

Edit: There is a new Beta driver for Nvidia... pick it up do a CLEAN install. In nvidia control panel for ALL options set to LET APPLICATION DECIDE ( I think another reason for the stutter is nvidia settings fighting with D3 settings) For example if you have anti aliasing set to your own settings in Nvid c.p. (x8) and you also have anti aliasing on in-game (Diablo 3 has this set to whatever your hardware class number is) they will fight each other for correct seetings (Also causing stutter).

Update: In order for me to play with no stutter now my core clock needs to be overclocked by 50-100. I shouldn't need to overclock to play diablo 3.

Update: Stutter is Extremely worse with old toons created at launch. Recently created toons play smooth as butter with new fix. I don't get it...
Edited by TriggerSaint#1450 on 8/30/2012 3:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizz what's going on with this issue?
Reply Quote
I tried changing the PhysX but still get the micro rubberband/stutter?

What are your ingame settings? I have vsync on due to tearing.

I'll try the beta drivers, see how that goes.

Just read the sticky... "Three performance-related issues in Diablo III seem to be centered around using the Vsync setting in the in-game video options, disk asset loading stutters, and a possible overheating issue."

I guess we just have to wait?
Edited by Luigieee#1567 on 8/30/2012 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have a 4gb graphic card.... I still stutter using my Card for physX or my CPU for physX.

my pc spec

Intel Duo Core 3.10
4gb, 96 cuda, 128 bit
8gb ram.

None over clock... So u tell me, cause i am beyond sure i should be able to run this game without any lag or stuttering. I can run WoW, BattleField3, Cyrus 2 ( MOD Realistic) ON max settings and max res. ZERO LAG, ZERO STUTTERING.

It just D3. !@#$ just dumb.

Cant wait for GuildWars 2. Deleting all my D3 toons and burning the stupid game when GuildWars2 releases.

Blizzard North FTW
Blizzard, u guys shouldn even made D3. U ruin a very great game. Fuking pathetic.
Should of made it Single player possible. Than maybe u guys wouldn get soo much complaint.
Reply Quote
• Go to documents/DiabloIII/D3prefs
• Open D3prefs with a notepad, and change this line:

DisableTrilinearFiltering "0"

To:

DisableTrilinearFiltering "1"

―――― Also change how graphics are rendered (optional) ――――

HardwareClass "3"

To:

HardwareClass "1"

And then start D3 again, after saving the text file (D3prefs)
Edited by xamire#1728 on 8/31/2012 9:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ugh, still no luck. This is such a load of BS. It's one thing to tab out and wait a min when soloing, but i cant play multiplayer at all bc of this.
Reply Quote

If it works I'd appreciate if you post it, i don't find any way to change that for ATI

Was not able to find anything realsted... :( Still stuttering.
Reply Quote
I'm giving up...customer support keeps telling me that is my "laptop temperature" but this is a load of crap how could i play at 60 fps before 1.0.4 then?? and now i dont even reach 15
Reply Quote
For people with older PCs: I had stutter with new patch, I reinstalled from an IDE drive to a newer SATA drive. Much better
Reply Quote
I've been dealing with this since launch. I quit the game about a month after it came out but I like to come back every once in a while and see if it is fixed yet. It actually seems to be getting worse and worse.

I like to think that one day I may be able to enjoy the game I purchased.
Reply Quote
...customer support keeps telling me that is my "laptop temperature" but this is a load of crap how could i play at 60 fps before 1.0.4 then?? and now i dont even reach 15

^ This

I could play on my NETBOOK pre 1.0.3. They drastically changed something, and it didn't get fixed in 1.0.4. Maybe it CAN'T get fixed because of the stability issues they had / netcode doing this game 100% online.

We had lots of disconnects in those days. I believe this is the tradeoff - gimped performance.

Devs said this would get addressed - I can't believe it wasn't handled in 1.0.4.

Prioritie$ are el$eware if you catch my drift
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]