Diablo® III

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660ti - low fps stutter

I just upgraded from AMD Radeon 5770 1Gb to a Nvidia GTX 660ti 2Gb

I didn't notice almost any issue with my old crappy video card using highest settings

With the new card (superclocked version), with default settings, there was major screen tearing, and fps was unstable. Playing around with Vsync and other settings, the tearing is gone, but the fps shoots around from 60fps to <10 at some points like when going through a TP. There is also a lot of screen stuttering going on as well. If I keep fooling around with the settings, I get some improvements, but this shouldn't happen, the new vid card should work fine right out of the box with factory settings! I've updated the Nvidia drivers a couple times, but same exact issue with the new beta drivers as the previous versions.

Also, can't see TXAA setting in the Nvidia control panel which is worrying me a bit... FXAA is there.... why isn't TXAA - it should have been there for the past few driver versions

Is there any explanation for this?????? Can someone help??

Trying to determine if it's a bad card, but I don't think so. Stress test etc looks fine.

I have a system with Phenom XII quad core, 8gb ram
Edited by hekkeller#1910 on 8/29/2012 7:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am getting the exact same thing with my 660 ti non super clocked version... i upgraded from a ati 4850... had almost no problems with that card.

If it makes a difference I'm running a core i5 2500k, and 16gb of ram,
Edited by Obssoyo#1217 on 8/29/2012 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am seeing this also, nvidia gtx 560m, just started happening today.

intel i7

16b ram.
Edited by Drek#1722 on 8/29/2012 1:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've spend a LOT of time on this

I updated my BIOS, motherboard drivers - no effect
I tried the affinity settings to reduce the # processor cores - no effect

When Vsync is on (adaptive is nvidia control panel) it is much smoother, but there is a lot of stuttering (meaning that the screen jumps forward slightly and suddenly every few seconds when walking around. Still getting massive FPS drop when entering new areas / using TP

Blizz should address this, since I'm getting the impression it is a game issue, not a vcard issue
Reply Quote
I had a crappy nvidia 8600 GS (which was running pretty good) and i upgraded to ATI radeon 6770 HD ..Run perfect for 1 week then after patch 1.0.2b i think, my fps goes crazy...running around 5-20 fps...i try about everything i see on forum but nothing fix the problem...some made it a little better but there is still a major problem!

There is just no difference if I play on low setting or high setting, fps are as crappy on both configuration!
Edited by Galaad#1442 on 8/30/2012 6:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I just upgraded from AMD Radeon 5770 1Gb to a Nvidia GTX 660ti 2Gb

I didn't notice almost any issue with my old crappy video card using highest settings

With the new card (superclocked version), with default settings, there was major screen tearing, and fps was unstable. Playing around with Vsync and other settings, the tearing is gone, but the fps shoots around from 60fps to <10 at some points like when going through a TP. There is also a lot of screen stuttering going on as well. If I keep fooling around with the settings, I get some improvements, but this shouldn't happen, the new vid card should work fine right out of the box with factory settings! I've updated the Nvidia drivers a couple times, but same exact issue with the new beta drivers as the previous versions.

Also, can't see TXAA setting in the Nvidia control panel which is worrying me a bit... FXAA is there.... why isn't TXAA - it should have been there for the past few driver versions

Is there any explanation for this?????? Can someone help??

Trying to determine if it's a bad card, but I don't think so. Stress test etc looks fine.

I have a system with Phenom XII quad core, 8gb ram

Did you actually uninstall the ATI drivers before you installed the new GFX card? Sounds like an issue with driver conflicts.

If not, try downloading the latest BETA drivers from nvidia.
Edited by Ozzy983#1429 on 8/30/2012 8:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Of course I did!!!

Not only that, I used driver sweeper to make sure all residual files were gone

I did clean installs of ALL Nvidia drivers, and in between versions

I downloaded the latest Beta driver

Nothing made any difference
Reply Quote
I wanted to clarify my particular type of stuttering:

It is NOT rubberbanding, NOT lagging, and the screen / character does NOT freeze momentarily

What I'm experiencing is most notable when you look at the background objects as you walk around. The background does not move past smoothly, rather you see some slight stuttering / non-smooth scrolling of the background as you pass by, and this occurs every couple seconds.

It is REALLY annoying

Here is a youtube link that shows it perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHxYZNyx9u0
Reply Quote
I also have this issue with a msi gtx 660ti power edition. I've noticed that when this happens the fps is capped to 30 for some reason. Test it with fraps or something
Reply Quote
Had a gtx 470 that ran D3 fine, upgraded to 660 ti and I get the same issue, very annoying
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I've got the exact same issue with my EVGA GTX 660 Ti using the latest NVIDIA drivers (306.02).

I upgraded from a 9800 GT which ran perfectly on default settings with D3. The new card runs poorly on default settings, and doesn't really improve after lowering/tweaking graphics options.

It's tearing/stuttering every couple of seconds, mainly when the background moves or during cinematics.

Hopefully NVIDIA or Blizzard address this issue!!
Reply Quote
Hi, as an update, I've figured out how to get it to run quite smoothly for me (not perfect though)

Basically, I have to use Vsync to eliminate the tearing, but the biggest difference is I switched the game to run in fullscreen windowed mode. I don't know why, but when it is in windowed mode, my video card actually runs faster than if it is in regular fullscreen. The video card MHz is higher, and power use is higher in windowed than in fullscreen regular. WHY????

This made the gameplay much smoother, but it also made the cinematics worse ... now they are VERY stuttery

My FPS has always been high, 200+ with Vsync off, and 60 with Vsync on, but even if it drops to 59 or 57, there is a very noticeable stutter, and it would drop to <10 sometimes when entering an area or something
Edited by hekkeller#1910 on 9/10/2012 11:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have this problem too with my new MSI 660 ti !
Reply Quote
I have a ATI Radeon 5750 and have this issue since launch. I never had it in open beta however. There are no settings that change this. One would say "lower the settings to low" but it has zero effect on this "stuttering".

I have no idea why somebody on Blizzards in has not addressed this! They wont even reply!
Reply Quote
+1 where is blue?
Reply Quote
same problem, opened a thread today here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794980064
Edited by ian#2160 on 10/4/2012 8:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
it is a good card...... I have heard nothing but good things.
Reply Quote
BUMP !

!@#$ing ANNOYING
Reply Quote
same here... upgraded from GTX 260 to GTX 680 and now it stutters all the time like in the video above

what a joke

and blizzard seems to keep acting like "they aren´t able to replicate", today in the European Technical Support forum a Blizz employee from the Customer Service replied

What I mean is that on a clean system, we have not been able to replicate these performance issues internally to any great extent. How can we fix that which we cannot see is broken? Our developers cannot work from Google testimonies or YouTube videos, this should be obvious.

It goes without saying that general optimisation is always a high priority for our development teams but until we can find an underlying cause, we cannot create, or communicate on, possible solutions, other than the ones we have already offered.

If you just consider the sheer amount of testemonies everywhere you really can´t take this serious
Edited by puruzad#2461 on 10/24/2012 8:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Same problem here, I also have GTX 660 Ti (asus) with a brand new computer.
Intel i5-3570K
8gb ram
64bit windows 7
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]