Diablo® III

[Balance] Energy Twister and Coefficients

"...having well-balanced proc coefficients on all skills is not only better for Legendaries, but also for the long-term of the game..."

Previous Coefficients:

Mistral Breeze: 0.25
Gale Force: 0.25
Raging Storm: 0.25
Wicked Wind: 0.25
Storm Chaser: 0.25
Twister released by signature spell from Storm Chaser rune: 0.5

Current Coefficients:

Mistral Breeze: 0.125
Gale Force: 0.125
Raging Storm: 0.125
Wicked Wind: 0.125
Storm Chaser: 0.5 (confirmed bug, fixed in 1.0.5 to the proper value of 0.125)

Suggested Coefficients:

Please take these with a grain of salt! The concept is more important than the actual number.

Mistral Breeze: 0.15
Gale Force: 0.15
Raging Storm: 0.15
Wicked Wind: 0.1
Storm Chaser: 0.15

Reasoning:

Wicked Wind is generally accepted as having the best "uptime" (the amount of time the spell is doing damage relative to the total time the spell is in effect) - this is why the damage is lower than the other runes.

When Wyatt Cheng mentioned the incoming reduction to the coefficient of Energy Twister in the 1.0.4 Wizard Preview, he said "specifically Wicked Wind", recognising the better reliability of this particular rune.

Energy Twister once had a coefficient of 0.1 - at this time, it was the least used wizard spell in the game, most likely because the damage/cost ratio is quite low relative to other spells. This was before the emergence of the popular "CM/WW" build, which was created once the coefficient was raised to 0.25. Prior to this, meteor was used in its place.

There is a reason the build is called "CM/WW" and not "CM/ET" or another variant - the WW rune has very strong synergy with Frost Nova in particular, since it keeps monsters stationary within the range of the stationary twisters.

One of the reasons stated for the coefficient reduction of Energy Twister was the new legendaries being introduced with fairly large proc chances. However, many of these effects seem to have an internal cooldown, which greatly reduces the potential for abuse. Furthermore, many of these large proc chance items are not high level end-game items, offsetting the potential gain from exploiting high proc chances.

Another reason stated for the coefficient reduction was build diversity. By seperating the coefficient of Wicked Wind from that of the other runes, it encourages use of the other runes, and further variations based on the gameplay changes of those runes - for example, if your twisters are moving around a lot, Wave of Force might be more useful than Frost Nova, since it can push mobs through the moving twisters and increase uptime.

-

That's about all i can think of for now. Further discussion is welcomed. Please keep it civil :)

Edit: Added previous coefficients and quote.

Edit: Number tweaks.

Edit: Storm Chaser fixed in 1.0.5.
Edited by Dragonfly#1941 on 9/24/2012 9:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
yea. clearly not intended, but maybe they'll let it stay... like old nat's...
Reply Quote
Yes, i did think of that, but i'm pretty sure 0.5 would be too high. Perhaps they'll let the other runes stay at the old value of 0.25, and only reduce Wicked Wind to 0.125. That is my hope.
Reply Quote
Shameless bump... and a TLDR incase you didn't read the OP - the main point here is that Energy Twisters current viability is based on its ability to trigger procs, and Wicked Wind is far and away the most reliable rune for doing that; and as such, should have a lower coefficient than the other runes, or they simply aren't going to be used.
Edited by Dragonfly#1941 on 8/26/2012 11:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If SC is truly at 0.5 proc rate (all twisters not the sig released fast one), I think all should be set back to 0.25 pre-nerf, and nerf only WW to 0.125 as was intended and we agree to be OP, since it doesn't move and procs too much. Other runes however MOVE and should not be nerfed, or Blizzard trying to add build diversity just kills twisters entirely. I mean, Meteor does more damage and would proc more than twisters if all runes are nerfed to 0.125, so why in the burning hells would I want to use twisters at all?

Blizzard, if you are changing twisters again, please don't nerf it to complete uselessness. Like *cough* living lightning *cough*

On second thought, even 0.25 on moving twisters is difficult to compete with meteors, since it procs 0.5 on hit (0.25 after on dot). Meteor has delay yes, but it has a larger aoe and doesn't move around like twisters does. If anything, 0.5 on SC (if true) should be kept, for purpose of balancing lower dps of twisers so it deserves a higher proc. At least it should be more than 0.25, if lower than 0.5.

And on balancing classes, Blizzard really should spend time caring about barb than wiz. I've run with 100k dps ww barbs and they are tankier, proc'ier and on par with dps. Does that warrant nerfing wiz again?
Edited by Garon#1895 on 8/30/2012 7:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, RLTW has received a similar reduction now. From experience i do think that 0.5 on SC is too high, but if the aim is to match the RLTW changes then i think 0.2 on all the other runes and 0.15 on wicked wind would be a nice strike of balance. 0.125 is currently workable for wicked wind if your gear is very good, but the other runes are clearly lacking in comparison.
Edited by Dragonfly#1941 on 9/24/2012 9:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Suggested Coefficients:

Please take these with a grain of salt! The concept is more important than the actual number.

Mistral Breeze: 0.15
Gale Force: 0.15
Raging Storm: 0.15
Wicked Wind: 0.1
Storm Chaser: 0.15

Mistral Breeze: 0.25
Gale Force: 0.25
Raging Storm: 0.25
Wicked Wind: 0.175
Storm Chaser: 0.333

something along that line would actually work.. it will kill the I can do this with 10mil gear wizards but will keep the 200+mil wizards in the game.
Edited by chris#22306 on 9/25/2012 2:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]